Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got an AEM Short Ram Intake for my '04 6s 5Door and in the instructions it says to remove the resonator box... I see no reason to remove the resonator box. If it were the Cold Air then it has to be removed, but the Short Ram is going no where near the resonator box. So why is it in the instructions?? If you have a Short Ram intake and/or know the answer to this PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I guess you're right. Since the pipe is not going down there, there's no need to remove it.

BTW, you do know that the performance using short ram might be worse than running stock right? You're getting more air which is good but the air is hot from the engine bay, which is bad. So it cancels each other out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The only thing removing the resonator box may do is let more cool air move around. I hope you have a plan as to how you are going to shield the short ram from heat. :huh: You should have spent a few more bucks for AEM's CAI. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I didn't even know that about the hot air. Right now i'm just looking for a little more power and a lot more sound from my engine, which is why I went with the SR instead of the CAI right now. But... any suggestions on how to get around the hot air?

·
Registered
476 Posts
To be honest I didn't even know that about the hot air. Right now i'm just looking for a little more power and a lot more sound from my engine, which is why I went with the SR instead of the CAI right now. But... any suggestions on how to get around the hot air?
[/b]
yeah... returin the short ram and get the cold air... you are losing power and gaining sound...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah... returin the short ram and get the cold air... you are losing power and gaining sound...
[/b]
I can see how I won't really be gaining much power, but how would I be losing power?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I can see how I won't really be gaining much power, but how would I be losing power?
[/b]
Because hot air has less oxygen than cool air. The SRI puts a lot of Hot air into the engine which doesn't really help. Fuel and Oxygen combust, not just fuel and air. What helps is lots of cool air (CAI). In analyses, the SRI (in real world conditions) produced less power than just leaving the stock airbox in.

·
Registered
510 Posts
has anyone actually tested a SRI in real world performance? The dyno's are stationary and dont allow for cool air to enter the front of the engine bay where the SRI is. I have a hard time believeing the SRI would not have some improvements over the stock intake.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
There are dynos around somewhere here in the engine section. Search it out.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No joke though, you gotta get a new intake...that short Ram crap will kill you in the long run dude! Look around in the forums....you'll hear people talking about some of the best made intakes and worst made intakes for our kinda car..........

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are dynos around somewhere here in the engine section. Search it out.
[/b]
Dyno's are not real world simulations. Are there any real world testing to show SRIs are that bad?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Are there any real world testing to show SRIs are that bad?
[/b]
Not real world testing, but real world experience. I know Da 6 switched his SRI for a CAI a long, long time ago in a galaxy far,far away... The engine would bog down 15 minutes into his drive, because the intake was pulling in heat soaked air.

This topic has been covered numerous times. Do a search for "heat soak" and you will find your answers.

EDIT: Wow...Did I just channel dabears2k there? LOL :laugh:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno... i'm not saying all of you don't know what you are talking about, but i just find it very hard to believe that AEM would put out an intake that would actually hurt an engine, or not improve an engine in one way or another.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I dunno... i'm not saying all of you don't know what you are talking about, but i just find it very hard to believe that AEM would put out an intake that would actually hurt an engine, or not improve an engine in one way or another.
[/b]
:rofl: AEM does little to no research, which is why their products are poor quality. They will put it out there because people want it and it shows good dyno numbers, not because it is a good real-world product.

Basically, you have very little knoweledge of cars (especially 6's) and you are trying to argue with a bunch of people who have a lot more knoweledge than you. STOP TALKING AND JUST LISTEN! :slap:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
You can always install the SRI and see how your car is after the install.

If the fuel economy is worse and the car is more sluggish, then you know why.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:rofl: AEM does little to no research, which is why their products are poor quality. They will put it out there because people want it and it shows good dyno numbers, not because it is a good real-world product.

Basically, you have very little knoweledge of cars (especially 6's) and you are trying to argue with a bunch of people who have a lot more knoweledge than you. STOP TALKING AND JUST LISTEN! :slap:
[/b]
Or you could just ACT like a badass on the internet... yeah... you're cool buddy

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not real world testing, but real world experience. I know Da 6 switched his SRI for a CAI a long, long time ago in a galaxy far,far away... The engine would bog down 15 minutes into his drive, because the intake was pulling in heat soaked air.

This topic has been covered numerous times. Do a search for "heat soak" and you will find your answers.

EDIT: Wow...Did I just channel dabears2k there? LOL :laugh:
[/b]

I had done lots of reading. The only #'s i could find on SRI's were dyno's. The 15min sluggishness has also been attributed to other things with people not using SRI's. Some experience the 15min sluggishness until they do the fan controller mod. Some experience the sluggishness until they installed a tranny cooler. I have seen several instances of "15 min heat soak" type problems of which none had an SRI.

Thanks for the reply though. At least there is one report out there of someone who seemed to notice a difference going from the SRI to the CAI. Thanks again.

·
Registered
900 Posts
any suggestions on how to get around the hot air?
[/b]
Make a heat shield. K&N filters come with one. Maybe you could look at their short ram and see if their shield reasonable $ and is available separately.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You could buy some aluminum sheets and fabricate your own 'cold air box' that would run down into the wheel well.. might take some work and thought, but its your best bet. I have an SRI and a CAI and I do keep my CAI installed, because its better.. but I have the SRI.. it helps when the engine is cool.. but if the engine is hot it doesnt do much of anything. I wouldnt honestly say myself that its WORSE than stock.. and EVEN THOUGH im no expert.. I could argue that free flowing hot air might still get more oxygen than restricted 'slightly cooler' air...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts