Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks I'm new to this whole forum thing so pls bear with me while I catch on here. So I recently purchased a
2004 6i from a local public auto auction for 1750 bucks, it's got just over 15ok on the odometer, runs great, shifts smooth, and up until about a week ago the heat and a/c worked great... Well thats until I realized the a/c wasn't blowing as cold as it did when I first brought the car home. So I charged the a/c and it worked amazing afterward, as a matter of fact I needed to turn it off after a short while because of how cold it was blowing. So this goes on for I'd say a week, maybe two and boom one morning driving to work it didn't blow cold at all... Only warm and I just don't understand why? what could've happened and so suddenly? Any advice you guys could offer is greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
First check your basics.

• A/C button engaged?
  • A/C MAG clutch fuse.
  • Check to make sure your clutch is engaging/disengaging properly.
  • Is condenser free of debris and dirt? Are the fins okay/damaged?
  • Main cooling fans operational when it's suppose to?
  • Have A/C system leak check and recharge to the proper level. Too much/little charge will make A/C system malfunction.
  • Compressor could be worn out

·
Rally Racer
3,033 Posts
@EJ. Welcome to the forum.

An AC that blows cold when recharged and fades off only to blow cold again when charged is a pretty clear sign of a leak.
I should be serviced by a professional as repetitive releasing of refrigerant into the ATM is not advised.
Overcharging and undercharging are fairly easy and can cause additional damage so unless you want to get a manifold set best leave it to someone who is set up for it.

I believe there is a safety that disengages the compressor when the refrigerant is too low to prevent damage.

Might just be an o-ring and refrigerant top-off that is needed.

Use the money you saved at auction and get it checked out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So.... there is exactly one way to properly charge a TXV (modern auto) A/C system -- by weight.

With that said, you can do superheat/subcool and get close. But... if you're leaking refrigerant it's pointless. You need to figure out where the problem is and fix it. You're likely leaking refrigerant and until you find and solve that you're wasting time and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts