Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in a 99 prelude for the 6s fully loaded. I'm used to being able to take turns at least 10 mph over those posted signs. In the 6, i feel like if i go even 2mph over the posted limit my car will flip... good thing i got the side curtain airbags ^_^ especially on those entrance ramps to the freeway when your going in a circle. I guess i want to be able to take a turn and not feel like i'm going to flip... What should I do first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Reading Topic: Help a newbie with body roll?

go lower it with Eibach Pro kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by A10ZA03


            I traded in a 99 prelude for the 6s fully loaded.  I'm used to being able to take turns at least 10 mph over those posted signs.  In the 6, i feel like if i go even 2mph over the posted limit my car will flip... good thing i got the side curtain airbags ^_^ especially on those entrance ramps to the freeway when your going in a circle.  I guess i want to be able to take a turn and not feel like i'm going to flip... What should I do first?[/b]
Maybe coming from a Prelude, it would feel like that. But I'd have to disagree. I've taken corners double the speed limit and the car hangs on just fine even on the stock rubber that everyone complains about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Reading Topic: Help a newbie with body roll?

i personally love the handling on the 6 ive took corners hard, ive done some drifting and i havent had any problems with body roll, there was one occasion in which i was doin about 35 over the posted limit which was crazy and scary but nothin serious.

dont preludes have a wider wheel base along with wider tires, also they look like they have a lower stance. could that be why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa

dont preludes have a wider wheel base along with wider tires, also they look like they have a lower stance. could that be why?[/b]

2001 Prelude
Length: 178 in. Width: 69 in.
Height: 51.8 in. Weight: 2954 lbs.
Wheel Base: 101.8 in. Ground Clearance: 5.7 in
205/50-16

2003 Mazda 6s
Length: 186.8 in. Width: 70.1 in.
Height: 56.7 in. Weight: 3243 lbs.
Wheel Base: 105.3 in. Ground Clearance: 5.1 in.
215/50-17 for sport


I'd put money on the height (or more importantly, center of gravity height) and weight causing the 6 not to feel as stable as the Prelude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by GreenNuggs
Maybe coming from a Prelude, it would feel like that.  But I'd have to disagree.  I've taken corners double the speed limit and the car hangs on just fine even on the stock rubber that everyone complains about.[/b]
I'm going to half-retract my statement. Last night I took an interchange ramp 30mph limit at 50, when I passed 55, I had to back off, it was teetering on the edge! At 50 it was fine, but right after 55, whoooa!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Help a newbie with body roll?

I have never driven a prelude, but I took my 6s on a track with only new tires and the stock suspension, and we pushed it truly to the limit, I was doing turns at 70+ mph, my instructor did some turns at almost 90 mph, while there was some body roll, it was pretty limited, I never felt like the car would flip or roll, so I'm not sure why you feel like your experiencing to much body roll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading Topic: Help a newbie with body roll?

ur right kyler13... i think it's the height and center of gravity... the car is a lot taller than the prelude... so i think i'm not used to it the extra weight swaying in the wind... altho i dunno about the ground clearance on the prelude... i used to scrape a lot and i never lowered it...

so now here's my next question... if i do lower it at what point would i start to need a camber kit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

you don't need camber kit if you go with Eibach 1.5 inch drop .just get a pro. aligment done at local tire place right after you do it.back to your roll... get eibach first and then, get a rear strut bar and lower tie bar.front strut bar helps too but it can wait. that will help cornering 20-30mph over the posted speed limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by iggypop


            you don't need camber kit if you go with Eibach 1.5 inch drop .just get a pro. aligment done at local tire place right after you do it.back to your roll... get eibach first and then, get a rear strut bar and lower tie bar.front strut bar helps too but it can wait. that will help cornering 20-30mph over the posted speed limit.[/b]
It's been discussed before... No place on the 6 to put a rear strut bar since there are no strut towers (see rear suspension design for the 6).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
It's been discussed before... No place on the 6 to put a rear strut bar since there are no strut towers (see rear suspension design for the 6).[/b]
how about b-pillar brace? or something.
i'm sure you could make some brace thingy in the back , also you would have to tear out half of interior to make it work ...i can't wait to test drive one to see how bad mazda6 sux...hehehe...just kidding:)
lowering springs and maybe better roll bars with poly bushings would make a huge diff.

mazda6 is still too new to make it a project car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by iggypop


            QUOTE
It's been discussed before... No place on the 6 to put a rear strut bar since there are no strut towers (see rear suspension design for the 6).[/b]
how about b-pillar brace? or something.
i'm sure you could make some brace thingy in the back , also you would have to tear out half of interior to make it work ...i can't wait to test drive one to see how bad mazda6 sux...hehehe...just kidding:)
lowering springs and maybe better roll bars with poly bushings would make a huge diff.

mazda6 is still too new to make it a project car.[/b][/quote]

lower tie bar would probably work well for the 6. not sure that you'd get anything by bracing the B or C-pillars. the whole point is to keep the deflection in the strut towers from deforming the frame during hard cornering. no strut tower = no flex. it's a unique suspension set-up so I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

QUOTE
Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa


            i personally love the handling on the 6 ive took corners hard, ive done some drifting and i havent had any problems with body roll[/b]
impressive. i didnt think it was possible to drift with front wheel drive...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

Hmmm...every corner is different. The speed you are taking one corner with could throw you out of the next one. It all depends on the radius and degree of the corner. You just cannot overcome physics. To see where the cars natural limits are is to take it on a wet round course where you constantly are close to drifting. When it starts to drift you'll see the car's limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Reading Topic: Help a newbie with body roll?

I know some anti-sway bars for the 6 would be nice but I took my blue monster through some mean NYC turn at 60mph and with proper technique I pulled out of the turn just fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help a newbie with body roll?'

I to feel that the 6 has a bit too much body roll. This coming from someone wno has an rx-7 with energy susp. kit eibach lowering springs, front strut bar, and kyb struts. I think the 6 will handle exceptionally well with eibachs and strut bar though. Probably need some better tires also. All in all, for a stock car it is a great handler. Let's put it this way, the rx-7 is for sale so I'm not too worried about ithe 6.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top