Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. First timer here...

I've narrowed my search down to two cars, the Mazda 6 V6 sport and the 2004 WRX. I know this is the 6 forum so I'm expecting some bias, but I would like as much objective input as you have.

I got to test drive the 4cly auto 6 and I was very impressed with the handling, brakes, Bose stereo, trunk, and especially the interior and extrior looks. I have never seen a better looking sedan in my life! I definately need the V6 though. The 4 was not enough for me.

I have not had the chance to drive the WRX, but it has better performance, AWD, and decent looks with the MY04 updates. From what I've read it seems like it is a blast to drive.

Price seems to be in the same ballpark for the two, but I can get the best deal on the 6. I can get the V6 loaded for $22026 + Tax/title.

So what do you think?

-Jon

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Help ... 6 or WRX ?

As far as I know, the 6 is better as a "car". Better quality (though - havn't heard any real bad things of Subaru!); bett equipment. It brobably have much better comfort the the WRX as well. THen the WRX on the hand is a much sportier car, but it comes at the price of every day usability. The 6 have very generous interior space, huge trunk and such, and still is a "drivers car".

And it looks better then any Subaru as well ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts

I made this comparison as well and test drove both cars.

The Subaru
Is a somewhat ugly from any angle (IMO)
It's essentially a compact economy car. The interior is decidedly low-rent.
It's got fabulous but turbo dependant engine. Turbos have drawbacks: increased complexity, decrease reliability and lag being the major ones.
It's got a race stiff and responsive suspension which gives it terrific handling but a buckboard ride.
It's got 4WD, which is a huge performance and safety bonus, IMO.
It's clear to me that it could outrun a 6s easily in a race
It should offer terrific long term reliability as long as the turbo lasts.

The 6 :
Is a midsize family sedan (in the US) with a much larger interior
Has a clearly better, more upscale interior and more storage.
Most people would agree it's better looking.
Has a slightly smoother and slightly less powerful engine.
Handles about the same with a more compliant ride.
FWD
Should offer better day-to-day drivability than the WRX.
Should be very durable.

It's a tough call. These are two of the absolute best cars on the market these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Help ... 6 or WRX ?'

Originally posted by jonnyspeed
Price seems to be in the same ballpark for the two, but I can get the best deal on the 6.  I can get the V6 loaded for $22026 + Tax/title.[/b]
One thing: I'd be very, very, very surprised if you get a loaded 6s with the sport package for less than about 24K.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by Hiro11

Originally posted by jonnyspeed
Price seems to be in the same ballpark for the two, but I can get the best deal on the 6.  I can get the V6 loaded for $22026 + Tax/title.[/b]
One thing: I'd be very, very, very surprised if you get a loaded 6s with the sport package for less than about 24K.[/b][/quote]

You are right... I goofed. I meant $24026. Typed a 2 instead of a 4...

We were at the dealer last week when we were going to buy one for my wife and I had the dealer agreed to $24026 plus tax and title. We decided that we have too much negative equity in her Jetta to trade it in right now, but I liked the car so much it made my list of cars I'm considering.

I just read a 3 page long list of things the WRX owners don't like about their cars over on the WRX forum. Seems that build quality and ammenities are decidedly in favor of the 6.

-Jon

·
Registered
76 Posts

If my Maxima died tomorrow (the only reason I'd have to get a new car at this point ;)); I'd have difficulty deciding between the two as well. I pretty much have my choices narrowed down to the WRX or 6s as well.

If you're into modding cars, definitely get the WRX. A buddy of mine has his WRX pushing 230 whp (over 300 crank!) and there is LOTS of aftermarket potential for that car :)

I noticed you test drove the automatic. I wouldn't get a WRX automatic at all. Turbo lag will eat you alive in traffic, and it doesn't have a manumatic feature either. I think the 6s would be a better choice if auto is what you want.

Manual vs Manual is a tough call. The WRX is much faster off the line, but the two cars are about the same from a roll (both trap at about 94 mph through the 1/4 mile). If it were me, I'd probably go for the 6s. The WRX is just too small, and I prefer roomier and more luxurious mid-sized cars with more lux features. :)

No leather, no moonroof, and no heated seats on the WRX :(

·
Registered
791 Posts

I know people say that Subaru cars are reliable, but of the few that I looked at, they didn't seem to be holding together well. In almost all cases I found leaking oil and differential fluid. The cars I was looking at were usually new, but high mileage (4 years old, 100k miles); and always a full log of good maintenance, so I know it wasn't owner negligence.

So, getting a Turbo Subaru would worry me.

From a fun-to-drive standpoint, you're going to have to test drive both and decide on your own. They're very different, but I do like Subarus a lot.

·
Registered
391 Posts

If you want to race or even go to rally races, get WRX. Mazda6 wasn't made to be raced on rally dirt roads or to race corvettes, etc. But if you want good comfort, looks, reliability, and enough power and speed, then WRX doesn't offer none of that. Get the mazda6 unless you have another everyday driving car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I've driven both cars, I don't care for the way the Subaru WRX looks (just personal perference) but I won't complain about the performance in the manual tranny version. The turbo lag is there, but once your north of ~3500 RPM the car flys...The interior and build quality of the WRX is not up to Honda/Mazda/Toyota, but its close, Subaru has made some real quality gains over the last few years and will some be neck and neck with Honda/Mazda/Toyota. The WRX is a bit of a rough ride. I doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't, a rally car. Its got road noise, a real firm suspension, and not much in Lux features. They beat the hell out of these things in racing and I have never heard of a issue with the engine. As far as aftermarket goes, Subi makes Honda look like amatuers..there is more product than you can imagine....although I hear that as a company Subi is not very mod friendly. (nothing like turning up the boost) :) The 6 is a better everyday car and for me is more than enough fun for performance driving. The 6 has better styling, almost equal real world performance in the V6 version. The interior of the 6 is much better, as are the seats. I personally think AWD is kinda over rated unless you live in really cold areas or go off roading, traction control is nearly as good in the way of safety. AWD is also heavy, and I would be more worried about the reliablilty of the AWD system then the engine. If you getting a automatic, I would not ge the subi, that would defeat the purpose, and go over your price level. Again if your going manual, its a tough call but you can guess my bias :); going auto, I would get the 6 no question.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I used to drive a '02 2.5 ts wagon. For those who don't know, it's to WRX what 6i is to 6s. As for handling, the impreza is very tossable. The 6 is and feels heavier. The impreza's ride and noise is pretty good for a sub-compact. And the WRX requires premium gas, which is something you may want to think about. The bottom line: if you want a auto, forget the WRX. 4 spd auto + turbo = SLOW.

By the end of this year we'll compare WRX STI with 6 MPS. That'll be something.

·
Registered
791 Posts

I tend to think a solid cars feel heavier, regarless of whether or not it is. Isn't the WRX actually 3200lbs?

·
Registered
231 Posts

I would not buy a WRX auto ever! For the above mentioned reasons.

I'm not the biggest guy in the world, about 5'11" and med-muscly build, but I can't get comfortable in a Subaru Impreza on a long trip. Its ok as a grocery getter and chick hooner, but I'd hate to have to take one on a really long trip or sit in traffic. Its just not wide enough in the area where your legs go. In contrast the 6 is a very comfortable car. Interior design is very much in favour of the 6.

That said the AWD Subaru is an awesome road handling machine and is much lighter than a 6. I love driving the Inlaws RX.

Simply, if you want an all round car buy a 6. If you want to drag race buy a WRX.

As to build quality Subaru has one of the best repuations in the world. It is THE premier Japanese brand in Australia and some other countries, simply smashing Honda and Toyota on customer loyalty and resale values. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend a Legacy GT as a better car for you and it is pretty sporty looking to boot.

Simply the 6 is a reliable, better looking car that drives fantastic. It looks very sporty with the body kit. And is a much better match to an auto transmission than a WRX.

·
Registered
14 Posts

WRX actually weights about 3100lbs. What I meant to say is the 6 feels heavier when turning while the impreza is more forgiving. Still the 6 has the best handling in its class and the best look in all classes.

As for the '04 impreza I like the front but still dislike the back.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Good comparisons, everyone!

I would say:

The '6 looks better. The '6 is nice, the WRX is downright ugly.

The '6 has a nicer interior.

The '6 is more refined.

The '6 drives fantastically.

The '6 is more practical.

The WRX is AWD.

I'd have to go with the '6 as a main car. If it were a secondary car, I may consider the WRX more seriously.

[flame suit on]
and I don't like turbos.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Good comparisons, everyone!

I would say:

The '6 looks better.  The '6 is nice, the WRX is downright ugly.

The '6 has a nicer interior.

The '6 is more refined.

The '6 drives fantastically.

The '6 is more practical.

The WRX is AWD.

I'd have to go with the '6 as a main car.  If it were a secondary car, I may consider the WRX more seriously.

[flame suit on]
and I don't like turbos.[/b]

Umm, Subaru drives fantastically too.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Help ... 6 or WRX ?'

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that it didn't. I haven't heard a negative thing about how the WRX drives.

·
Registered
628 Posts

I won't rehash what everyone has pretty much said here so far, but i must say that I pretty much agree on all angles.

The WRX is an awesome car, and when I first started looking at cars about 6 months ago, It was the first I was looking at, and I was very close to buying one but my financial situation was not ready for the purchase.

After being in both cars, I must definetly agree that the '6 has a much nicer interior. Plus the availabilty of Leather and the Moonroof was a big plus. Also, the wife was concerned about the size of the car. With the strong possibility of kids within the lifetime of my next car, a midsize is much more practical than a compact.

All in all, I agree with what most say, the '6 is a much more practical car, especially in Auto (with auto-stick) but the manual Rex vs. manual '6s is a toss-up. The best advice I or anyone else can give, is Drive both, right after each other if you can, and make the decision for yourself. Like a few fellow members told me; This is a HUGE purchase, make sure you get *exactly* what you want!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for all the input!

I am not looking for an Automatic. I have been a big sportscar fan, but now I find myself wanting more than just performance... I want comfort and luxury too. The WRX may be a great car, but I think the Mazda 6 is the right choice for me. I've owned 3 Camaros and while they were fun I can't help feeling that they are cheap cars wrapped around great engines. I'm coming to the end of my SUV lease and I don't want another one of those either. Here are the reasons I think the M6 is the car for me:

-Drop dead good looks!
-Outstanding handling (maybe the best FWD available?!)
-Great brakes
-3.0L 220 HP V6
-Manual transmission
-Nice leather interior
-Bose, heated seats, sun roof
-Even with 4 doors it looks great and retains practicality
-Huge trunk
-Nice wheels
-0-60 sprint in 6.5-6.8 (Very close to an early Porsche Boxster)
-FWD is good in snow (it's 3 degrees and snowing here in Cleveland right now)
-Price = $24K + Tax/Title
-When the Mazdaspeed 6 comes out I can give this one to my wife :D

Here are the only cons I can think of:
-FWD not ideal for sporty car... I'll just have to learn a diferent driving style
-No LSD from factory (Mazdaspeed parts?)
-No NAV system yet
-No 6 speed
-0-60 could be quicker (aftermarket here I come)
-I have a few months to wait before I get one! :(

·
Registered
20 Posts

depends on what you want the car for and how long.

i heard the new wrx arent very durable, but since the 6 has been out such a short time, it is hard to tell if there will be any problems or recalls.

if all you want is speed, then the wrx is for you. there are many aftermarket parts to make it a speed demon. if you want a more practical car then get the cuz its a family sport sedan, more suitable daily driver..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts