Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I just found this forum although I have been tracking the progress of the 6 for a while.
I own a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder with 173k miles on it. When I replace my truck I'm not sure I want another truck. I don't need the 4x4 like I did when I bought it and SUVs have become quite the status symbol in the US. I like the fact that I can haul alot inside but don't like the low fuel effeciency.
I think a hatchback would be the perfect solution. Better gas mileage and I can still haul a decent size piece of cargo with the hatch open and the seats folded down. The only decent size hatchbacks in the US are Saabs, which I don't like. The Camaro and Eclipse are considered hatchs but are not very practical. The M6 hatch is the sportiest hatch and it seems like it has the overall package, so I'm quite interested in one.
I've been reading as much as I can on this site but have some questions for everyone - and maybe Steve since I've read he has a hatchback he loves:
1) For the hatch version, how much cargo space is there when the seats are down? Or - what is the maximum width and height of the cargo area for the hatchback?
2) I'd love a V6 hatch in the US - from what I've read that combination won't be in the US until around mid to end of 2003, right?
3) I'm 6'1" tall, will I be comfortable and be able to get in and out of the 6?
4) Steve - do you have pictures of your hatch model?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hello to all - Hatch question (Steve?)'

Originally posted by CVette

1) For the hatch version, how much cargo space is there when the seats are down?  Or - what is the maximum width and height of the cargo area for the hatchback?
2) I'd love a V6 hatch in the US - from what I've read that combination won't be in the US until around mid to end of 2003, right?
3) I'm 6'1" tall, will I be comfortable and be able to get in and out of the 6?
4) Steve - do you have pictures of your hatch model?
Thanks in advance.[/b]
1. There's plenty room. But I have no measurements for you - there were none in the owner's manual. I'll try to take a measurement later. Anyway, the trunk holds approximately 500 liters when seats are up, and I expect that you more than double that if you fold the seats.

2. Perhaps not even then. Expect late 2003.

3. Yes. Very, I must add. Door openings are big. Seats are comfortable, and there's plenty room inside. This is a big car inside!

4. No pics of my own hatch just yet. But there are plenty pics of a Silver Contrail hatch on this site. I've posted a few. Soon I will post pics of my own also, but our daylight ends before the work day ends, so I have to try to go out on a lunch or on a weekend to take them, and I haven't found the time to do that just yet...

Anyway, the 6 is a very find mobile, and I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hey, Thanks Steve!
I just checked out the pictures forum and found some good pics of the hatch, look at all that space! Oooo, I definitely want one now. First step, convince the wife. Second step, wait until the end of 2003.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Don't forget: it's a beautiful car also. And FUN to drive!!!!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts

wow, i love the hatch pix....the hatch is roomye :D
now i'm gonna wait for the hatch for sure....and i know this will be a long long wait

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, but it's well worth it!

I waite since early July (well, actually since last year, but I ORDERED it in July) and got it only two weeks ago.

I love it. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum but I've been chasing that Mazda 6 ever since I saw some spy drawing/pics of the car September 2001.

A few months ago I received the car and I have enjoyed every minute or mile that I drove with it.

I took the Mazda 6 Sport Executive 2.0 Titanium Grey one (with an extra chrome package) including front grille lining, indicator lining, lining along the sides of the doors and that so ugly painted in the same color rear part. Last and least I also ordered the chrome platings that you see when you open the doors (forgot the english name for those thingies). Only 5 of these are driving around The Netherlands as we speak (heck if you count that chrome look) I guess just one of them even.

I do not have any pics of the car just yet but I make a few and post them here (just so you can see how beautiful the Titanium grey is in combination with the chrome look).

Anyways, drifting way off this topic. Just wanted to say I am 6'8" with most length being in my legs. I can push my electrical adjustable chair so far back that I cannot reach the pedals any longer. Behind me there is still then a few inches of passengers rear space left.

The Sport version rocks, I used to drive the plain boring 626 for four years and this car is even a tad bigger on the inside. The chairs are a bit short for such a tall dude like myself but if you tilt the chair just a little you should be just fine.

Keep up the good work with this forum gang and I will hop in soon joining discussions and helping whereever I can.

Panther (a.k.a. Nils)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Welcome aboard Nils :)

It's great to have another member that actually owns the car. I can't wait to see the pics of your 6. Sounds real sweet.

It's late. I'm going to bed. Talk to ya later.

:zzz

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Welcome, Nils!

Is Nils a common name in the Netherlands? I wonder, because it's very common in Sweden.

Looking forward to your pics...:)

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hi Steve and AliAL,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have made some pictures of my Mazda6 and posted them in the pictures area.

Nils is not at all a common name in The Netherlands. Niels (Danish spelling?) sure is.

My parents gave me this name because it was unique and a short.

That always has helped them yelling me back from somewhere/place if I did something wrong. (which I hardly ever did of course) :p

Panther

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It sure is a short name. My grandfather had that name, so I have it in the family.

I'm goin' to the pics forum now to see your pics...:)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

My grandfather was named Sunikichi. I'm glad I wasn't named after him.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Steve,

I am tossing up between the silver contrial. I understand you have one in the hatch, does the silver looks too green? I was hoping it would be a normal bright silver. the photos in the forum shows a slight tint of green.

Can you tell me what does it look like under the sun?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It is very very VERY silver, no green. The Sparkling Silver on the other hand looks a bit green. But not the Silver Contrail. I was afraid when I ordered it that it would be too dark, but it's a PERFECT silver metal!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks Steve,

The silver contrial is very rare at the moment in Melbourne and only the sparkling silver is widely available. One guy at work has the sparkling silver, kind of look warmish. you know, like a gold or tan tone all through it.

I ended up placing my order today for the Silver contrial in Hatch, now is just the waiting game until the delivery. I also ended up having the front 5 point grill colour coded as the sports grill is not available for the silver contrial.

:hoho

Can't wait.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Hatch is a beaty as a car! A real beaty I would say, now that I have my first pics from it... I will put one here from the behind, to show what hatch is all about...

·
Registered
355 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

I still like sedan better :p[/b]
:p
I guess we all have our own taste? :)
Which is good, because I don't want to see too many same looking cars as mine... A little bit of yellow on the road is fun, too much of it might give a headache to people. :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts