Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get out there on a Mazda Forum, I have a 2004 Mazda 6, 3.0 V6 I have a short ram intake, skunk2 something and thats about it (previous owner doesn’t remember what he did) its a 5-speed manual sitting at stock height with AR01 Arc wheels I could use some help or advice on wanting to make it faster!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I could use some help or advice on wanting to make it faster!

The best way to improve speed is to "upgrade the skill of the driver". If after "upgrading" and you hit the "wall", then I believe that is the time to upgrade the car.

That is, once you can no longer improve your lap times then I'll change the tires. I believe that will cut two to five seconds in the racing circuit. I've seen one guy who removed his spare tire and he got two seconds. That's another area of improvement, weight reduction.

If after the upgrade and I hit the "wall" again, then I'll change the brakes. In other words, one upgrade at a time.

Please take this with a grain of salt, I only participated in an official race twice and won the first time I did it. One more thing, I have a very limited knowledge about cars so you can dismiss everything I've said.

If you are talking about 0-100 kph (0-60 mph), I believe this car is not meant for it. Then again, I might be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best way to improve speed is to "upgrade the skill of the driver". If after "upgrading" and you hit the "wall", then I believe that is the time to upgrade the car.

That is, once you can no longer improve your lap times then I'll change the tires. I believe that will cut two to five seconds in the racing circuit. I've seen one guy who removed his spare tire and he got two seconds. That's another area of improvement, weight reduction.

If after the upgrade and I hit the "wall" again, then I'll change the brakes. In other words, one upgrade at a time.

Please take this with a grain of salt, I only participated in an official race twice and won the first time I did it. One more thing, I have a very limited knowledge about cars so you can dismiss everything I've said.

If you are talking about 0-100 kph (0-60 mph), I believe this car is not meant for it. Then again, I might be wrong.
Its just to make it more fun to drive during cruises and what not, im not looking to getting into the racing scene much. I have gutted the rear seats and the spare. I have 215/50/18s on the car

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Its just to make it more fun to drive during cruises and what not, im not looking to getting into the racing scene much. I have gutted the rear seats and the spare. I have 215/50/18s on the car
You gutted the rear seats? I'm interested to see what it looks like. I hope you don't mind posting pictures.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, the V6 isn't very customizable without dumping a good chunk of change into it. The biggest thing you can do is give it MORE AIR. More air in (intake, throttle body), more air out (exhaust, manifold), but most of us stop before going with a full manifold upgrade.

These cars are more built for handling than straight-line speeds, so look into upgrading suspension and slightly wider tires and you'll be cornering like nothing else - which I find more fun than getting up to speed quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just want to get out there on a Mazda Forum, I have a 2004 Mazda 6, 3.0 V6 I have a short ram intake, skunk2 something and thats about it (previous owner doesn’t remember what he did) its a 5-speed manual sitting at stock height with AR01 Arc wheels I could use some help or advice on wanting to make it faster!
First thing to do is get rid of the short ram intake those are basically just for looks and sound. You want to run a cold air intake. Second get a aftermarket exhaust, the more air you pull in the more you need to put out. So get a less restrictive exhaust or just get rid of the mufflers to free up some airflow. Sounds good too that way. After all that there’s not much else you can do that wouldn’t take lots of research and modification. These cars just kinda suck for making power. But if you do a CAI and exhaust you’ll have a pretty fun daily??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just want to get out there on a Mazda Forum, I have a 2004 Mazda 6, 3.0 V6 I have a short ram intake, skunk2 something Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire and thats about it (previous owner doesn’t remember what he did) its a 5-speed manual sitting at stock height with AR01 Arc wheels I could use some help or advice on wanting to make it faster!
Welcome aboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts