Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2018 Mazda 6 and really dislikes the two second lag from stomp to power. I'd like to ask if anyone knows if there is a tool to gain access to the accelerator pedal to install the Pedal Commander we bought.

Can I have post permission in the "How To" forums?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, the topic you want to post about doesn't belong in the How-To/DIY section, it's more suited to the Tech/Performance/Model section. The DIY section is for people explaining things in step-by-step fashion how to do things, based on their own past experience...

Third, you can always ask your question here in this thread you created in the Newbie section. If any of us can help, we will.

By chance, why doesn't she just switch to "sport" mode using the button next to the shifter?

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The board requires that you make 1 post in the 'Newbie' section before being given access to the rest of the forum. This was done a part of a group of security measures taken to combat spam bots.

Also, the How-To/DIY section is strictly for posting tutorials on how to do things. You may ask your question in any of the Technical/Performance sections.

To answer your question: Not that I'm aware of. Our accelerators are 100% electric and, short of getting into the ECU, there's nothing you can do.

Finally, that lag she's experiencing is part of 3 things: 1) It's an automatic and that's what they do. 2) She'll find better results if she puts the car in 'sport' mode prior to stomping. 3) At 10k miles the transmissions really break in and have a noticeable difference in low-end torque.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Sport mode and the floor switch do not deliver the power she wants. She's used to a 165 HP Subaru Forester with standard transmission and the Mazda 6 automatic doesn't deliver.

I'm hoping the Pedal Commander will make the car respond better, at least reduce the lag...

Here is a picture of the clip I need to remove: i.imgur.com/CP21HMM.jpg

I didn't know about the transmission break in time... I'll tell her about that. I'm not sure how many miles she has... I'll check.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Check the OVTune threads then. I've heard nothing but good things about the low-end torque gained from that tune while maintaining MPGs.

Gotta remember, she has a 181hp tiny 4-cylinder non-turbo engine in a car that weighs over 3k pounds. It does a GREAT job getting out of its own way if you ask me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final Update for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

The pedal does not slip under this plastic, like I thought it did. I saw a picture of a replacement pedal on the web and thought it had a huge arm attached to it. It does not.

The solution is simple. Remove the little oblong plastic covers on the left side of the pedal, then remove the two bolts that are holding the pedal down.

At that point you can access the plug, disconnect it (I used a little screw driver to pry out the locking mechanism. I was not strong enough to do it by pressing the lever.)

The Pedal commander fits nicely behind the center column on some smooth white plastic. The cord is much longer than needed and I put one of the included zip ties on the cable to keep it out of the way.

Thanks to Jim for clearing the fog from my mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Raydude, be sure to also update us with the results! Does it make a difference? Does it "fix" the lag from pedal to power? And most importantly, did it pass the wife test?

edit: Also, is this the regular or turbo engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a 2.5 liter, non-turbo, 2018 MY.

Update:

I do not drive my wife's car much. When I installed the Pedal Commander, I switched it off and then drove up a inclining road to measure the lag and power response of the engine. It's not good folks. We're both used to standard transmission, we switched to automatic because we're older and we don't want to hold clutches down in traffic anymore. I recently leased a Chevy Volt and it's 150 BHP is offset by it's 294 ft/lbs of torque, so there is no pedal lag and I really like it. But my wife's car, man there is some serious lag. Anywhere from half a second to 1.5 seconds, depending on the phase of the transmission, I guess.

I switched the Pedal Commander to "Sport" mode and tested it in a similar way, basically by idling down and then half stomping the pedal. It does respond better, but there's still a pretty significant lag, as far as I'm concerned. I was worried about the WAF. (Wife Acceptance Factor). I tried the Mazda 6 sport mode, again a slight improvement, but I didn't like it. I'm spoiled by my electric motor.

I drove back to the house and called her and asked her on a mini-date. She climbed in behind the controls, adjusted the seat and then I showed her how to use the settings on her phone.

(as an aside, if your phone pairs with your car, you won't be able to get the Pedal Commander to pair with your phone. You have to disable the pairing to the car, or do what I did which is turn off blue tooth on the phone, then turn it back on and immediately have the phone pair with the Pedal Commander. It will connect and then the car will not be able to Pair.)

She tested it first with sport mode on and said, "This seems better. Yes this is better."

I was glad. She tried it without Mazda 6 sport mode and concluded it was still better. Then she tried P.C. "Sport Plus" mode and that was way too twitchy (using a term I read on another review).

She's been driving it now for a few days, I'll ask her for an update later this week and post it here.

TL; DR: WAF is okay. Does seem to help. More information to follow later.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
To be fair here, you're comparing an electric motor to an automatic transmission - those are completely different worlds. There's no automatic in existence that I'm aware of which can get going from a dig faster than an electric. See: all the stock Tesla's wrecking people at drag strips.

Automatics (for daily driver use) are designed to wait for user input before deciding the best course of action: they'll never be able to beat manual or electric.

Regardless, glad your wife is more satisfied than previously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.

My wife likes the Pedal Commander. I asked her if it was worth $300.00 and she said yes. She doesn't like how twitchy the sport mode is (not sport+ which is worse), but she'd rather it be that way than the way it was.

If she gives me more info, I'll post another update.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Update.

My wife likes the Pedal Commander. I asked her if it was worth $300.00 and she said yes. She doesn't like how twitchy the sport mode is (not sport+ which is worse), but she'd rather it be that way than the way it was.

If she gives me more info, I'll post another update.
Good to know that she's enjoying the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Archerfish
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing