Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums, and wanted to say Hi. I bought a 2005 Mazda 6i back in June and love it. I’ve really starting to like the world of car forums and what not. I'm not new to working on cars and find your forums very interesting and helpful. Currently my car is pretty stock, but maybe as a read around and see whats out there I might be tempted to do some mods.

Id like to start with adding new speakers, and a subwoofer to the stereo. Id also like to add some kind of connection to allow my Ipod to be hardwired to my stereo. Those fm transmitters don't work for crap around here. Id normally just put in an aftermarket head unit but I'm not sure how to go about it in the Mazda with that center console being all one piece. I’ve looked around on the web a little bit but have not seen much of an option to what im looking for. I'm hoping I will find some information on your forums or maybe some tips from all the great people ive seen posting to this point. I will end my post with a picture of my M6i...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome and nice 6. As far as the stereo goes it will depend on whether you have the Bose or non-Bose system installed. A number of our sponsors sell a replacement faceplate, Metra kir, that will allow you to install a different headunit. There's a lot of info in the interior mods section on upgrading stereo systems.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
No sunroof on the 5-door = non-Bose radio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its a non-bose stereo. Thanks for the direction Elijah! This place rocks. that was a really fast responce...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the club! Great choice in cars. Enjoy and share! :drive:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Buy a Harmon/kardon drive+play ipod intigration kit for $149 it has a screen and a joystick and is $50 less than the Peripheral connector wire that JUST plugs your ipod into the stereo. Remember that if you put in an aftermarket headunit you will not be able to use your steering wheel audio controls. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so ive spent almost the entire night reading through all the interior mods and ways to deal with my stereo issues. My head is swimming and I have no idea what I want to do. Up untill tonight I didn't think I had many options but now i know I do. I have 1 quick question. I see a lot of people talking about this Metra part. I found their site (www.metraonline.com). I got part numbers but it doesn't look like its a place you can order from? Where do you all order from? Thanks for all the wonderful responses...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just to let you know, I personally just put in an Audiolink Integration kit (which works with Ipod, MP3 player, or flash drive) and then installed an amp and 4 speakers. The metra kit replaces the part of your center console occupied by your stereo, but at ~$180 it wasn't worth while to me for a head unit I had that wasn't that great.

A good option is an amp with speaker level inputs (no Line output converter required, hence better sound IMO) and then replacing the speakers with better ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah im not sure the metra kit is the way I want to go. I was just curious to how much it was. And where I might go to find it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks for the links. That helps a bunch. So let me get this straight for my 2005 M6 I should only have to buy that audolink kit and that plugs straight into the stock non-bose HU with no extra work? I've read a lot about the differen't years needing differen't things. On the rpm page I see it says everything was fixed for the 05 model. So I take it that means no sodering or modifiation of the circuit board?

One last question. On the Stock HU is there also amp pre outs?

Thanks again for all the wonderful pointers and support.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You will regret getting a 6i.....just wait.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wow thanks for the links. That helps a bunch. So let me get this straight for my 2005 M6 I should only have to buy that audolink kit and that plugs straight into the stock non-bose HU with no extra work? I've read a lot about the differen't years needing differen't things. On the rpm page I see it says everything was fixed for the 05 model. So I take it that means no sodering or modifiation of the circuit board?

One last question. On the Stock HU is there also amp pre outs?

Thanks again for all the wonderful pointers and support.
[/b]

I think that it is plug and play. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
978 Posts
got a crutchfield catalog a couple days ago, and with purchase of a head unit that costs more than 150, you get the metra kit (or one just like it) for half off. about 6 months ago, the metra kit cost 129 at crutchfield, so it may be worth looking into. I've seen a couple members with the metra kit, and the colors match well. one thing that I didn't like as much was that the buttons for the hazards and hvac controls aren't as good of quality as stock but not a big deal for most people.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered the audolink cable tonight. Woot! can't wait to get that bad boy hooked up. Can anyone tell me off the top of there head what size speakers are in the doors so I can start trying to figure out what kind I want to go with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got the cable installed finally. It works great. I ran the cable long my center console and up into the center glove box. I don't need to be advertising I have a 30 gig ipod in the car. Its awesome that I can switch tracks from the stearing wheel buttons too. Thanks to everyone that pointed me in the right direction.

Now I have to figure out what my next mod is going to be.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums, and wanted to say Hi. I bought a 2005 Mazda 6i back in June and love it. I've really starting to like the world of car forums and what not. I'm not new to working on cars and find your forums very interesting and helpful. Currently my car is pretty stock, but maybe as a read around and see whats out there I might be tempted to do some mods.

Id like to start with adding new speakers, and a subwoofer to the stereo. Id also like to add some kind of connection to allow my Ipod to be hardwired to my stereo. Those fm transmitters don't work for crap around here. Id normally just put in an aftermarket head unit but I'm not sure how to go about it in the Mazda with that center console being all one piece. I've looked around on the web a little bit but have not seen much of an option to what im looking for. I'm hoping I will find some information on your forums or maybe some tips from all the great people ive seen posting to this point. I will end my post with a picture of my M6i...

[/b]
a couple thoughts to help your head stop spinning:

the non-bose system isn't terrible, but your best gains will come from a better amp and speakers. I'd suggest starting with those components instead of tearing the dash apart to try replacing the head unit.
For the iPod (BTW, none of those fm converters are really worth a shit) look at this unit:

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=142

those are good places to start, as far as speaker and amp recommendations, a lot of that is personal taste and what kind of music you want to listen to. '

good luck and enjoy your 6 !

edit: oops, I see you already got the audiolink unit.! glad you like it.

May I ask why? [/b]
Ignore the man, he enjoys doing nothing else except annoying people. :swearin:

It''s your car, enjoy it.

BTW, greetings fellow Hoosier. I'm in NW Indiana, just over the IL/IN line

1 - 20 of 21 Posts