Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the Mazda dealership, brought my father since he's going to be driving the car too. So anyway I saw the Mazda 6i :love, and well I needed a few tissues and no they weren't for my nose. Too bad my father didn't have the same reaction. I just fell in love with that car, it had the sports package, and fully loaded the car's about $24,000, the base price was $18,000 I'd probably take out alot of stuff like the sun roof, I never really liked the, and the skirts, on my driveway they'd get ruined.

Anyway, my father hates the car, only because he's so stuck on buying a Maibatsu Monstrosity, he's a married man who works at a restaurant and has 2 kids so of course he needs a car that can cross artic tundra. So he's looking at a $34,000 dodge durango (BOOO :thumbdn). He's telling me "Hey look it's $7,000 off" I just wanted to smack him right upside the head. The car gets 13/19 mpg, which means 10 (we live in NYC there's alot of stopping and going, we hardly get 12 mpg on the piece of crap jeep grand cherokee he has now which is supposed to get 15/19 or something like that.) Also the car's just huge, it'd be impossible to park, and my sister is getting her liscense soon so of course she'll have to drive the thing, I'd much rather have her driving a nice sized car like the mazda 6 instead of some huge thing like the dodge durango, and of course the 6 is probably ALOT safer.

Ok so umm that was kind of long but here's my question, how do I convince my father to buy a mazda 6? I'm trying to tell him how it gets much better gas mileage than some huge truck, it's less likely to flip over, it's much nicer looking, and it's not as impossible to move around. So what would you say to him? He likes trucks because one year it snowed VERY badly here, he got stuck with his minivan (ford windstar I think) ever since that year he wanted a 4x4. He used 4 wheel drive like twice since he bought this jeep a few years ago, this year it snowed again and my father was just as stuck as every other car on the road, we slipped alot, and couldn't make it up any hills. And last year it snowed when we were coming back from a vacation, the car slipped around alot, we almost got stuck on the highway (my father was driving over the huge piles of snow from the snow plows blades, he can't stay in the tracks too well.)

Well that's it, I really want a mazda 6 badly so any ideas on how to convince him would be great, we're test driving one next week. Oh my father did like one part, the dealer lifted the hood of the car, my father loved it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Heeeeeeeeeelp!'

whos paying for it? If you are i'd be like "screw you im buying what i want :) " If its his money hmmm dont know what to tell you. Its hard to change the mind of someone who is deadset on getting something in particular.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Tell him that if he don't buy the 6 you will live at home until you are 45 so you can afford buying one of your own.

That ought to take care of it!:D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The Mazda ought to have far better build quality. Say what you want about american cars but build qualty is not what they'r famous for...

It handles better to.. I mean a two ton truck on stilts compared to a "sports sedan"...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Tell him that if he don't buy the 6 you will live at home until you are 45 so you can afford buying one of your own.[/b]
lol that'd work pretty nicely :) although I'm buying a house next year so I don't think he'll believe me.

whos paying for it?[/b]
Grandma (his mother-in-law, and boss :D) I just had a talk with her now (it's always nice running to grandma when your parents just won't listen) I told her that he wants to buy a $34,000 durango, instead of an $18,000 Mazda 6 which has much better gas mileage and will be easier for my sister to drive (she seems to like it :D). My grandmother (unlike my father) actually cares how much stuff costs (since usually she has to buy it) and well I think I'm getting a mazda 6, although she may find an economy car *thinks of a kia and shudders*.

But then again this car's only $18,000 and gets decent gas mileage and my father and I can both agree we don't want a kia. My mother generally sides with me and argues with my father till he agrees, and my grandmother just has to say "Buy a mazda 6" and he'll run out and buy one. So it seems my father's buying a mazda 6, unless my grandmother decides it's too expensive and we should buy a cheaper car :(. Now I need to know what justifies the cost of $18,000 (safety features, things it comes with, keep in mind the cars performance isn't going to matter much to her :() Hehe I would ask a salesman to explain this to them, but he wouldn't be as good at manipulating my family as I am *evil grin* (by the way there's no smiley for that :( I want a smile and some horns!)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

zakabog, you have some interesting family dynamics going there.
From your posts, I'm not clear who the primary driver of the car is going to be. If it's your dad, then leave him alone. If it's going to be "shared" then of course you should have input. If your dad has a $34000 price point, and if he wants four wheel drive, you could try to talk him into waiting for the Mazdaspeed 6. AWD, 6 speed, 280hp.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

zakabog, you have some interesting family dynamics going there.
From your posts, I'm not clear who the primary driver of the car is going to be.  [/b]
I thought it was just me...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Or the AWD estate... Afraid it's even further away timewise then the MPS for you guys...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Put 5 people in the KIA, then have them get in the 6. (be sure Gramma is in the backseat). That should do it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hehe well there is no primary driver. My father drives to work, I drive to school, well I drive my sister around and sometimes I take the car places (like to the movies and stuff) but my father works all night so he has the car at night and I don't get to drive it much. I dunno, I guess I'd be the primary driver. My grandmother won't be driving at all, she just pays for them (usually like half the money down then the rest over 3 years, we pay her back.)

·
Registered
231 Posts

Your Dad will buy what he feels most comfortable with. My Dad is on his 12th mini-van. There is probably no way you could convince him not to buy a SUV if that is what he has convinced himself he needs and wants. Your driving pleasure and chick attracting capabilities probably aren't on his list of pros and cons. I admire your persistance though, bringing Grandma into it was very clever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well I'm really looking for a list of things about this car that are better than most other cars for the same price. I dunno, like safety features and stuff like that. It's mostly convincing my grandmother, then she talks with my father (well just says "GIOVANNI! Why do you need another jeep, buy this mazda because...." and he just nods and gets the mazda.) And applejax, your avatar scares me hehe

·
Registered
167 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

Or the AWD estate... Afraid it's even further away timewise then the MPS for you guys...[/b]
But it's going to have the V6 as far as I know :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts