Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem. Saturday, 02.03.07, my 6's temp gauge jumps to HOT after only being ran for 15min or so. I stop at the parents house and let her calm down, then decide to drive another 20min home. On the way home the temp gauge is fluctuating from mid (normal) to HOT, but it always seems to correct itself and come back down. But now there is an added feature and it's blowing cold air out, instead of warm/hot. The damn inside of the car started frosting up it was getting so cold. So...I let her sit for a day, Sunday, and get up this morning to start it for work and let it get warm. Well, the temp gauge get's to normal, but the car is blowing out ice cold air...starting to frost over the interior again. I moved it to the garage after my roomate left and that's were it's sitting right now. Anyone have any idea on what the problem could be? I was thinking just a stuck thermostat, but not sure. I have an extended warranty, but the pain in the ass thing doesn't cover the thermostat...or heated seats which I found out last week. My driver's side seat went out...if anyone knows where/how I can get that fixed for under $300...you'll be my new best friiend. Just need some help or ideas so I don't have to pay another $90 to Mazda to just have the thing 'looked at'.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go to a trustworthy dealer and they should cover your situation under warranty, don't assume anything yet, let them diagnose.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Go to a trustworthy dealer and they should cover your situation under warranty, don't assume anything yet, let them diagnose.[/b]
First thing to look at would be to make sure there is enough coolant in the car, I had my old Intrepid start blowing cold air and it was low coolant causing the issue.

Once this is confirmed then replace the thermostat with a new one. It is easy to do and cheap to replace.

Best of luck. :drive:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Cold air means your coolant isn't circulating. If you couple that with your overheating engine, it could mean big trouble if you keep driving the car. Check that your radiator isn't freezing up by gettting your coolant checked. (You can get a gauge for about $2, or just go to AZ. ) If you're coolant is OK, you could have Tstat or waterpump problems, both pretty rare to the 6i it seems....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a new t-stat in her last night and there was no coolant in the lines when I took the old out. The old t-stat looked and function correctly, but I still put the new one in and put everythng back together. Added coolant and let her get warm and the damn thing was still blowing cold air. I thought there might be a bubble in the lines so I parked it at an incline and had the cap off to see if it'd work itself out...nothing. Parked it and was going to drop it off this morning at Mazda, but could only get half way before the inside of the windows where fogged over. I ended up parking at my ramp for work and decided to turn the heat on to see if it decided to work...S.O.B. blew out warm air and defrosted the car in minutes. What the hell? I'm going to check it again over lunch, but hopefully it works fine.

Another thing. My car sounds like and old steam engine train when it starts...ch-ch-ch-ch-ch. It gets lighter and eventually goes away once warm, but why does it sound like that? Does the -35 degrees w/ wind chill have something to do with that?

Thanks for all ya'll help!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Your coolant does not get very warm from just idling. A short drive is usually required to for the t-stat to open and purge out all the air. At least on this car it is. I believe that's probably the reason for no heat after your first try. There was still air in your heater core. Now that the air is gone, be sure to re-check the coolant level because I guarantee it dropped since the initial fill.

Now, I hate to be negative, but driving around with no coolant is bad news - even for a little. A "choo-choo" sound coming from the engine sounds like trouble. If it keeps making noise, and you're still under warranty, bring it to the dealer. Just make sure all your fluids are topped up before you go in. Mention nothing about running the system dry!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would check the coolant level again, most likely you will see that it needs more as once the t-stat opens the level will drop as fluid starts to replace the areas where there was air in the system. Once this is done I would take it to the dealer and let them know what is happening. The frosting of the inside of your windows could also be a bad sign as you should not have that much moisture in the cabin with the cold temps you are reporting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright...so topped the coolant off and everythinng seems to be runnign up to par.

Oh, except for the 'train noise' that it's making. I figured, screw it, and dropped it off at Mazda today. Told them to keep it as long as they want...just figure out what the deal is. They said it's most likely the oil hasn't got a chance to circulate around the lifters because of the cold, and it's common. Won't that damage the engine though??? Who knows...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Alright...so topped the coolant off and everythinng seems to be runnign up to par.

Oh, except for the 'train noise' that it's making. I figured, screw it, and dropped it off at Mazda today. Told them to keep it as long as they want...just figure out what the deal is. They said it's most likely the oil hasn't got a chance to circulate around the lifters because of the cold, and it's common. Won't that damage the engine though??? Who knows...[/b]
Hydraulic lifters are like that, not a problem, once they pump up, the clicking should go away. The clicking is due to clearance between the rocker arm and the lifter. No big deal.

They do not sound like a steam engine though.

With all the moisture in the car I would be concerned about something else - bad heater core (if you are losing coolant and seeing a lot of moisure in the car and problems with heat). Dealer will figure it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Problem. Saturday, 02.03.07, my 6's temp gauge jumps to HOT after only being ran for 15min or so. I stop at the parents house and let her calm down, then decide to drive another 20min home. On the way home the temp gauge is fluctuating from mid (normal) to HOT, but it always seems to correct itself and come back down. But now there is an added feature and it's blowing cold air out, instead of warm/hot. The damn inside of the car started frosting up it was getting so cold. So...I let her sit for a day, Sunday, and get up this morning to start it for work and let it get warm. Well, the temp gauge get's to normal, but the car is blowing out ice cold air...starting to frost over the interior again. I moved it to the garage after my roomate left and that's were it's sitting right now. Anyone have any idea on what the problem could be? I was thinking just a stuck thermostat, but not sure. I have an extended warranty, but the pain in the ass thing doesn't cover the thermostat...or heated seats which I found out last week. My driver's side seat went out...if anyone knows where/how I can get that fixed for under $300...you'll be my new best friiend. Just need some help or ideas so I don't have to pay another $90 to Mazda to just have the thing 'looked at'.[/b]
My car has been in the shop for 5 weeks now. The heated seat cores are shot. Mine is still under warranty, but what I found out was mazda had a bad set of heater cores shipped from the vendor to them. They have tried 4 sets in mine so far and what happens is they shoot up to 100 degrees, down to 60 degrees the shortout. The rep has ever got the engineers in Japan involved and the only thing they came away with is what I stated at the beginning (bad cores from Mfg). Now I am after them just to replace my front seats altogether. They have had the leather off so many times it is starting to look like shit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.