Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got my 04 6s last march, 2005 (have 13500 miles). this past winter, my first winter, I keep my heater on 78 degrees (not automatic, I keep it on manual so I can turn it off after the inside warms up) and it would warm the car up pretty quick and make it fairly hot, thats when I would I turn it off. The past couple of times that I drove it, I noticed that the heater doesn't pump out nearly as much heat as it used to. My 78 degrees feels like its in the low 60's. Does anybody have a clue as to what may be the cause for this????
Furthermore, as most of you know there are 2 ways to keep the airflow int he car: either in circulation mode or taking it from the outside. Well, after my car warms up, I turn the heat off (keeping the thermostat @78 degrees) and the air I leave to be taken from the outside (not circulation). Bottom line is that in the past, driving at 60-65mph with the heater off I would still get very warm air coming from the air ducts. Now when I do the same thing, the air that comes in is much-much-much-much cooler. if anybody knows the possible problem, please let me know so I can fix it or mention it to dealer as I plan on going in a few weeks.
P.S. my friend told me that it could be a torn tube that delivers the air into the ducts, but I'm not too sure. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
not really sure. I cant think of it being anything other then the heater core itself. I know my car (though mine is on auto climate) pumps air that is "warm enough" to keep the car at a certain temp so when it heats up as much as it should, it turns down the temp of the air it blows to just keep the car at that temp, not make it hotter. However, when i switch to manual, the air gets hot again real quick. Maybe switch it back and forth a few times to see if it helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not really sure. I cant think of it being anything other then the heater core itself. I know my car (though mine is on auto climate) pumps air that is "warm enough" to keep the car at a certain temp so when it heats up as much as it should, it turns down the temp of the air it blows to just keep the car at that temp, not make it hotter. However, when i switch to manual, the air gets hot again real quick. Maybe switch it back and forth a few times to see if it helps.
[/b]
I guess I can do that. hopefully it works, but I use to keep it on auto as well, but I don't like it too warm, I prefer it on the cooler side, so I just warm up the car enough so that the steering wheel is not too cold to hold. but thanks for the input dude. Appreciate it

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
With fan off, floor and face mode, temp at 78, fresh source, warm air flows well with my 6 at 60 mph.

With fan on 3, make sure you get 150+F air at 90F, and about 10 over ambient at 60 (90 and 60 are the only true manual modes of acc). If you can't get these temps, problem with the internal flapper door and motor that sets mix of hot and cool air.

Since you have a change from both your normal operation and mine, I'd have a dealer do a diagnostic check.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's your engine temperature gauge reading? Does it stay in the middle when the car is fully warmed?

My previous car the engine thermostat was broken so it blew nothing but warm air (when it shoudl be hot) in the middle of winter. Freezed my butt off for a $20 part.
[/b]
yeah, my temperature gauge stays in the middle all the time when the car is warm. I'll mention in to the dealer, hopefully they'll be able to pin point the prob, because I feel there is one. being that such cold air did not once flow out my vents at that temperature throughout the entire winter!!! just thinking about dealing with my dealer and the possibility of their response as "all normal", gets me pissed offfffff.
Thanks for the input dude, just venting. :)

With fan off, floor and face mode, temp at 78, fresh source, warm air flows well with my 6 at 60 mph.

With fan on 3, make sure you get 150+F air at 90F, and about 10 over ambient at 60 (90 and 60 are the only true manual modes of acc). If you can't get these temps, problem with the internal flapper door and motor that sets mix of hot and cool air.

Since you have a change from both your normal operation and mine, I'd have a dealer do a diagnostic check.
[/b]
I'll mention exaclty what you said, word for word to my dealer. Before, throughout the entire winter I kept my temp on 78, with fresh source and in the off position and going 60 I would get very warm air coming in, now, with all the same options, its much cooler. thanks dude

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
BYLM6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing