Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum but had my 6 for a couple of years now. Recently my heater didn't work one morning, I played with it a little bit and then after a while it worked o.k. Now in the morning if I turn the heater on the temp. gauge goes up to the red line then the heater starts working and the temp. gauge goes back to normal. I'm thinking the thermostat.... I talked to the dealer mechanic and he said he has never replaced one yet???? What else could it be????? is it hard to change the stat on this car????????? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'll assume your talking about the heat and not the operation of the blower fan in the cabin. Sounds like your either low on coolant or maybe it's freezing up and then starts thawing after the car has run for awhile. The Tstat is part of the waterpump on the 2.3L I believe. I haven't heard of anyone having to replace this yet, but if your coolant is good, it sounds like you may have a WP or tstat problem...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
...... gauge goes up to the red line then the heater starts working and the temp. gauge goes back to normal....
[/b]
Repeated Red means head gasket damage soon, if not already. Get new t-stat and pressure cap, purge all air out. Looking for big trouble pegging temp gauge.

·
Registered
238 Posts
thermostat and full coolant flush/fill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts