Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you who have already removed your resonator, here's how I made sure my intake was getting cold air.

I used aluminum siding to create a duct of cold air up into the intake. The metal sheet is quite thin, and I was able to cut and crease it where I wanted so that it's held in place quite well without drilling any holes. It's quite easy- I uses 10" wide aluminum siding (from Home Depot) to seal off the bottom-right side of the engine compartment. Really, it's already segregated- the siding just extends this. Once this was in place, I removed the plastic mesh "plug" in the bumper and made it into a plastic vent by cutting out nine of the diamonds. The air rushes into the car and stays in where I want, so the intake can use it.

A normal cold-air intake uses a pipe going to the fender. The only thing different I did was make the far-right side of the car my pipe. Once I looked at the car, I decided this was the easiest solution.

To those of you who want pictures, click here. Sorry.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading Topic: Heat Shield Mod

Oh, the downside- the siding cuts skin very easily. I got blood in my engine bay now as I couldn't see my hands bleeding. I was installing the siding, and when I pulled my hands out, they were all red. Three big cuts, plus one from a piece of hidden piece of broken glass earlier in the day (stupid robbers).

My hands look like they have a grain to them.

·
Registered
383 Posts

But our house is made of bricks, not aluminum! Do you think they would be too heavy to use??

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

interesting idea. I finally got around to cutting out the diamonds also, I need to sand down the edges so it doesn't look so crapy, but I had to start with just a power drill. Stretchsje, how did you cut the diamonds out?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Heat Shield Mod'

Originally posted by Brillo

interesting idea. I finally got around to cutting out the diamonds also, I need to sand down the edges so it doesn't look so crapy, but I had to start with just a power drill. Stretchsje, how did you cut the diamonds out?[/b]
$30 Dremel tool set = Your Best Friend

Most sets come with drill bits and cutting blades and smoothing/sanding cylinders of all sizes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts