Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys~ izt me~ noob's bak again :drive:
everyone here that's got white/blueish lights all installed HID? or just the PIAA bulbs?
if Ima go for bulbs, H1 is the right one right :eek: and anyone know the street legal temp and the lifespan of the bulbs?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i think most of the people here are gonna say save up and get HID instead of getting bulbs.

I went and got Osram bulbs which only lasted over a year and before that I had silverstars which only lasted half a year. So i kinda wish i got HID instead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya that's my concern too
it comes to someone who has no idea how to install the bulb -> like me :tear:
is it possible to get dealerships to install it? figured there would be labour fee 90/hr required
it's so jam packed under the hood unlike my friend's celica and mazda3
my fat hand cannot go in!
I am thinkin about getting the PIAA's
anyone know what's a non-rip-off price in the lower mainland? my friend told me he got them for 95 bux

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
ya that's my concern too
it comes to someone who has no idea how to install the bulb -> like me :tear:
is it possible to get dealerships to install it? figured there would be labour fee 90/hr required
it's so jam packed under the hood unlike my friend's celica and mazda3
my fat hand cannot go in!
I am thinkin about getting the PIAA's
anyone know what's a non-rip-off price in the lower mainland? my friend told me he got them for 95 bux
[/b]
I can install the lights for you if they aren't HIDs. It's actually really easy to do.

·
Registered
542 Posts
yeah show up on november 5th at the meet and wing woo here can do it for ya! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oi....I'd love to..but midterms midterms...gotta study for
blame that on SFU..
and btw do you guys have to take anything off before you switch the bulbs? like grilles etc? or just plain reaching in and grab the old ones out lol

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If you don't have a cold air intake, then I'll have to remove your airbox to get to the lights on the driver's side. The passenger side is a bit harder to do, but it can be done. The easiest way of course is to just remove the whole bumper, but I would do that unless I was in a garage and usually only if there's something major that needs to be done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Has anyone looked into what the stock system from mazda would cost? I am tellin you the Vertical Power Adjustments you can make with them is really worth it. I use it all the time to aim them. It's friken wicked. Unless it is REALLY expensive. Art, whats the package worth on a new car?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Has anyone looked into what the stock system from mazda would cost? I am tellin you the Vertical Power Adjustments you can make with them is really worth it. I use it all the time to aim them. It's friken wicked. Unless it is REALLY expensive. Art, whats the package worth on a new car? [/b]
I looked into it before and Mazda told me they do not provide the kit needed to install the "Mazda" HID's into a non-HID car. But HID's come standard on all GT Mazda 6's 2006 and up.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Let me explain why Mazda doesn't sell this "kit" that you speak of, Art.

Here's the deal: HIDs are illegal if the car didn't come with them from the factory. I.e. if the car had a halogen-based system when it left the factory, then swapping that system for a xenon-based system* is against the law. This applies to both US and Canada.

No if's or but's. Doesn't matter if its a kit or a retrofit*.

Notice the two asterisks above. Here's what they mean:

* In order to be completely legal, the entire mechanism from a fully functioning OEM HID system, including the levelling motors (i.e. the vertical adjustment being mentioned in the earlier post), need to be retrofitted into the headlights. This would constitute a complete retrofit and would include OEM projectors, OEM bulbs, OEM ballasts, and the levelling motors.

Most of us who've done retrofits have only really retrofitted the projectors and a few other components, but not the levelling motors, and therefore we're still not legal.

Lots of info can be found on this topic on the intArWeb... here's a good site:

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-current-regulations.htm
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm

This site specifically singles out HID kits as being illegal, which is correct, however if you consider things more in depth, you'll realize that this applies to partial retrofits as well.

So, Mazda probably doesn't offer the necessary OEM components for sale, for legality reasons. And, honestly, if the components were to be sold, they'd be super expensive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thank you for shedding some "light" on this topic,

ha ha I made a Pun :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you for shedding some "light" on this topic,

ha ha I made a Pun :laugh: :laugh:
[/b]
Yeah.

no one saw that coming.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi Art,
do you know if the service department is okay with me bringing the bulbs and ask to install when I do my maintenance? you think they gon charge more?:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked into it before and Mazda told me they do not provide the kit needed to install the "Mazda" HID's into a non-HID car. But HID's come standard on all GT Mazda 6's 2006 and up.
[/b]
I looked into possibly installing an oem HID install to my '06 GS and it seems to be something Mazda just doesn't want you to do. The parts guy at my Mazda dealership in Toronto spent about 3 weeks checking on things and we were closing in on $3000 with more parts that still needed to be confirmed as being required for the install and then priced. I wonder what Mazda does in a situation where a car get's it's front end wrecked and needs the lights replaced? Mazda only sells components and doesn't sell HID assemblies and the parts guy said he doesn't think they sell all the necessary pieces to do the HID oem switch. He also contacted Mazda in the USA to see if they sold assemblies and they don't. I wanted the levelling feature and to try and keep everything completely stock but I gave up on the oem route and I'm planning to do a retro instead.

Just out of curiousity, is there any way to add some kind of levelling feature?

·
Registered
420 Posts
hi Art,
do you know if the service department is okay with me bringing the bulbs and ask to install when I do my maintenance? you think they gon charge more? :eek: [/b]
What kind of bulbs are you getting? I spoke to my service department and they have no problem changing the bulbs for you, Labour will only be about $20. The only problem is that if you are going to a Xenon style bulb they can't warranty the socket or the housing because of the extra heat put off from the bulbs.

Art.

I looked into possibly installing an oem HID install to my '06 GS and it seems to be something Mazda just doesn't want you to do. The parts guy at my Mazda dealership in Toronto spent about 3 weeks checking on things and we were closing in on $3000 with more parts that still needed to be confirmed as being required for the install and then priced. I wonder what Mazda does in a situation where a car get's it's front end wrecked and needs the lights replaced? Mazda only sells components and doesn't sell HID assemblies and the parts guy said he doesn't think they sell all the necessary pieces to do the HID oem switch. He also contacted Mazda in the USA to see if they sold assemblies and they don't. I wanted the levelling feature and to try and keep everything completely stock but I gave up on the oem route and I'm planning to do a retro instead.

Just out of curiousity, is there any way to add some kind of levelling feature? [/b]

Check out ZoomZoomFan's post, it explains that Mazda will not do the switch over. As far as the replacement parts I'm sure Mazda has them available.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What kind of bulbs are you getting? I spoke to my service department and they have no problem changing the bulbs for you, Labour will only be about $20. The only problem is that if you are going to a Xenon style bulb they can't warranty the socket or the housing because of the extra heat put off from the bulbs.

Art.

oo~ just a set of brighter PIAA bulbs i guess..

·
Registered
420 Posts
you shouldn't have any problems with those, when you come in for service talk to Raju and let him know you were talking to me about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
btw where do you guys get bulbs?
and what's the reasonable prices
I went to check out these PIAA's H1 today..they cost like 110
anybody heard of this Polarg brand? It's a Japanese brand and all the sales recommended that
suggestions :O? or any "models" that's recommended?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts