Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a decent pic of the headlight cluster, but have a few questions.

From right to left, I think it would be as follows: low beam, turn indicator, ???, and High beam. 1st, does this seem accurate? 2nd, what is the item between the turn indicator and high beam? 3rd, Are xenon HID lamps available.

Thanks

Edit: sorry folks, the pic didn't come thru, but there are some very good pics listed in other threads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Headlights'

Originally posted by red_base 95

I have seen a decent pic of the headlight cluster, but have a few questions.

From right to left, I think it would be as follows:  low beam, turn indicator, ???, and High beam.  1st, does this seem accurate?  2nd, what is the item between the turn indicator and high beam?  3rd, Are xenon HID lamps available.

Thanks

Edit: sorry folks, the pic didn't come thru, but there are some very good pics listed in other threads.[/b]

Okay...here goes...(picture is my Mazda 6 in Singapore)

Front lights from left to right:

1) Headlight (H1)
2) Turn indicator (W21Y)
3) Integrated Fog lamp (H3) - empty coz I didn't fork out the US$180 to get it done)
4) Main-beam/parking lights - H1/Can't remember

Rear lights again from left to right:

1) Rear fog lamp (not available in Singpaore so modified at Mazda Motors Singapore to normal tail lights)
2) Reverse light
3) Turn indicator
4) Brake light/tail light

HID Xenons are availble in certain markets. They do show in the owner's manual a little information on what not to do with HID/Xenons. However, the Singapore Dealer of Mazda does not bring those in. I might go for an aftermarket kit since they're readily available here.

·
Registered
244 Posts

What surprised me about rear foglights is that there is a bulb only in the left one - the right is just a dummy. Maybe it's a beancounters' issue :sarc.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

What surprised me about rear foglights is that there is a bulb only in the left one - the right is just a dummy. Maybe it's a beancounters' issue :sarc.[/b]
Nope actually, the rear foglight is only at the driver's side. If you look at other European cars, eg VW Beetle, rear fog is on drivers side, and reverse light is on other side.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by XTerm

What surprised me about rear foglights is that there is a bulb only in the left one - the right is just a dummy. Maybe it's a beancounters' issue :sarc.[/b]
Nope actually, the rear foglight is only at the driver's side. If you look at other European cars, eg VW Beetle, rear fog is on drivers side, and reverse light is on other side.[/b][/quote]

You're right. The foglight is only on the driver's side - on the left that is. And it would make sense if the layout of taillights would make it impossible (like in Beetle's case) to have reverse and fog lights doubled on both sides, but with 6 they just left one slot empty. Hence the suspicion of cost saving (how many % of car's manufacturing cost can you save at the expense of one lightbulb, socket and some wire anyway?)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Until recently, the idea of pairing one rear fog light with one reverse light was a question of lowbudget vehicles.

Someone, probably VW or Toyota came up with the brilliant thought "if it saves us money on the cheap ones, it could save us money on the expensive ones also!"

<g>

The idea with two rear fog lights is quite like having two kidneys. If one fails you still have one working...

This is definitely a question of bean counting. Building cars is always a matter of compromises, but this is just a stupid one...even my 626 has BOTH two rear foglights AND two reverse lights...

Sigvard, do you think it's possible to put a bulb in the fake one?

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Sigvard, do you think it's possible to put a bulb in the fake one?[/b]
Just a moment, I'll go and check it out right away :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Just a moment, I'll go and check it out right away :) [/b][/quote]

Yes, please!

·
Registered
244 Posts

Yes, please![/b][/quote]

Just checked it out. Nothing too complicated. You just have to cut a small hole into the plastic reflector to fit the socket and do some wiring. That's all.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Yes, please![/b][/quote]

Just checked it out. Nothing too complicated. You just have to cut a small hole into the plastic reflector to fit the socket and do some wiring. That's all.[/b][/quote]

Yes, I've had both my fake rear lights filled with normal rear lights (5/21 watt bulbs) but the 21 watt bulb is not hooked up. I intend to make a switch to turn on the high wattage (21watt) bulb light up in adverse driving conditions such as during a tropical thunderstorm where visibility drops pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, please![/b][/quote]

Just checked it out. Nothing too complicated. You just have to cut a small hole into the plastic reflector to fit the socket and do some wiring. That's all.[/b][/quote]

That sounds great - I want stereo!!!:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Mazda

Why do you always quote everthing? We understand you reply to the last reply..[/b]
Because it's more fun!

Nah, it's just because I need to see what I'm replying to sometimes...a bad habit, sort of...:D

PS. And if you take a close look, I mostly use it when I'm NOT replying to the last reply...(this reply being one of the obvious exceptions)...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

And if you take a close look, I mostly use it when I'm NOT replying to the last reply.[/b]
Okey......but you don't have to quote EVERYTHING. Just take the last part or so...[/b][/quote]

I normally do. But I slip up now and then...especially annoying ofcourse if I forget to exclude the images, right? :D

·
Registered
246 Posts

RIGHT! :D  

So please make sure you don't quote too much[/b]
WHAT??? I DIDN'T HEAR YOU!!!!:D [/b][/quote]

Tja, quoten is een kunst die die noorderlingen blijkbaar niet onder de knie hebben.. :hoho

·
Registered
837 Posts

Originally posted by XTerm

Okay...here goes...(picture is my Mazda 6 in Singapore)

Front lights from left to right:

1) Headlight (H1)
2) Turn indicator (W21Y)
3) Integrated Fog lamp (H3) - empty coz I didn't fork out the US$180 to get it done)
4) Main-beam/parking lights - H1/Can't remember[/b]
Question?

Is the Headlight (H1) the normal everyday light or is it the Main-beam? North American has to have daytime running light, so which light turns on all the time?

Is the high beam on its own or is the H1 a dual beam role? If it is on its own, what pod is it located at?

Sorry for the confusion but I am still confuse.

Thanks

Hiep

1 - 20 of 57 Posts