Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My sister just bought a beautiful 2016 Mazda 6, but she has two interior issues and one exterior issue.

The exterior issue is that the headlights do not seemed to be aimed high enough, especially when she comes to a dip in the road or a hill. The dealer told her to put them on the auto-dimming, which has helped some, but not fully. It is really not good because at times half of the distance of the road ahead (that one would normally see in a car) is black as the lights do not shine there.

She has read many forums and cannot find a good answer to fix this problem. The dealer told her that re-aiming the headlights will not work as they will set back to their original position. Please help! I want her to be safe and to love her new car!

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I saw in the other thread that your sister came over from a Saturn. I too drove Saturns for many happy years.

The headlights in the Mazda 6 are different. They're a different kind of bulb - they're LED, whereas the Saturn headlights are conventional incandescent bulbs.

It took me a while to get used to the fact that the beam of light from the LED headlight doesn't gradually fall off into the distance like it does with the conventional bulb. Rather, there's a fairly sharp and defined edge to where the light stops -- and it doesn't look like the headlights are aimed high enough.

I don't think the the Saturn headlights were better, or brighter, or aimed higher. I think that the amount of light appears to go further because it fades much more gradually, but in reality the amount/distance of usable light is about the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can adjust them, put your car into aux mode and adjust them. Make sure you move the wheel a few times, then back to the middle, to let the auto leveler adjust. Then adjust them. Mazdas seem to do this forum what I've read in the forums. I have a 14 and had to do that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. My sister and I are going to shine our headlights one night soon and see if her LEDs do shine as far as my incandescent lights. It may just be an illusion given the LEDs drop off so quickly. Otherwise, we will have to see about adjusting them. I will let her know your thoughts, playingbball20. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can adjust them, put your car into aux mode and adjust them. Make sure you move the wheel a few times, then back to the middle, to let the auto leveler adjust. Then adjust them. Mazdas seem to do this forum what I've read in the forums. I have a 14 and had to do that too.
Can you explain this aux mode and just more specifically how you would adjust headlights in this manner?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hope this helps
@playingbball20 - FYI - the JPGs you posted came out tiny. Those are also the instructions for the halogen lights. The 2016s GTs have LED models with AFS motors and (I believe) auto levelling.

That being said...
@layna and @btp589 - I've pulled together instructions with pictures from my 2015 touring. These are based on the instructions that are shown in the post above (but you'll actually be able to follow them!) If the LED lights on your '16 GT have the same adjustment screws as the '15s, then you might as well give it a shot.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/379681-consolidated-3rd-gen-how-aim-your-headlights-thread.html

Be sure to do the adjustment on flat ground, a good distance away from the wall so you can see the impact of raising/lowering. In my experience, it doesn't take much movement with the screwdriver to raise the lights a LOT.

If that doesn't work, call the dealership back, and if they can't help you, let them know you're going to call Mazda customer service and open a case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
@playingbball20 - FYI - the JPGs you posted came out tiny. Those are also the instructions for the halogen lights. The 2016s GTs have LED models with AFS motors and (I believe) auto levelling.

That being said...
@layna and @btp589 - I've pulled together instructions with pictures from my 2015 touring. These are based on the instructions that are shown in the post above (but you'll actually be able to follow them!) If the LED lights on your '16 GT have the same adjustment screws as the '15s, then you might as well give it a shot.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/379681-consolidated-3rd-gen-how-aim-your-headlights-thread.html

Be sure to do the adjustment on flat ground, a good distance away from the wall so you can see the impact of raising/lowering. In my experience, it doesn't take much movement with the screwdriver to raise the lights a LOT.

If that doesn't work, call the dealership back, and if they can't help you, let them know you're going to call Mazda customer service and open a case.

Good luck!
It was the size that this site put out... And they are the same for the HIDs and the Halogens. I have the HIDs with the AFS. You actually have to turn them a lot to get them to move.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It was the size that this site put out... And they are the same for the HIDs and the Halogens. I have the HIDs with the AFS. You actually have to turn them a lot to get them to move.
Can you confirm that the car needs to be in accessory mode for the adjustment to work properly? If yes, I'll update the instructions on the other thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts