·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here yah go, these will be excellent.
View attachment 243285

Pacific Best® - Replacement Headlight Lens and Housing

If it's not what you expected refer to post #17 above.

I got my covers for $23/pair
Thanks mucho. Unfortunately the driver's side is unavailable, and the bulbs are only available in 6500k. I was taking your advice to get 4000k. I think I'm still looking. Unless I can abandon the fog lights. I'm up in the air about that.
Thanks again for taking the time to do that!

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
Thanks mucho. Unfortunately the driver's side is unavailable, and the bulbs are only available in 6500k. I was taking your advice to get 4000k. I think I'm still looking. Unless I can abandon the fog lights. I'm up in the air about that.
Thanks again for taking the time to do that!
Sure. Look around for the drivers part number on the web. I have also had decent luck with TYC lights. As for the LED bulb temp, you are not married to those. Look around for the H1 equivalent in the temperature (4300K-5000k?) You want.
👍

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Considering the h1 LEDs, I thought there were both heat and depth /placement/focusing issues for those. Any comments?
Thanks.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
Considering the h1 LEDs, I thought there were both heat and depth /placement/focusing issues for those. Any comments?
Thanks.
Heat and size is an issue, they often require the back light cap on the headlight assembly to be removed (like you do when replacing the halogens). The heat sink can be quite large.
I believe the filament placement is better (more like halogen) than HID and as a result gives a cleaner and better defined light pattern than HID.
None of that matters of course if your lenses are cloudy.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Heat and size is an issue, they often require the back light cap on the headlight assembly to be removed (like you do when replacing the halogens). The heat sink can be quite large.
I believe the filament placement is better (more like halogen) than HID and as a result gives a cleaner and better defined light pattern than HID.
None of that matters of course if your lenses are cloudy.
Where did you find your replacement lenses? All I'm finding seem to be covers rather than full replacements.

I read your log about your 6 wagon, and it's inspired me to at least try replacing the clear lenses. Nice work on your car, BTW.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
Where did you find your replacement lenses? All I'm finding seem to be covers rather than full replacements.

I read your log about your 6 wagon, and it's inspired me to at least try replacing the clear lenses. Nice work on your car, BTW.
Thanks for the kind words.
I included a link in my first post

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I saw those but they looked unclear. Nevertheless I ordered them. Now to find my heat gun.

What do you think of trying to install halo driving lights inside the housing?

Thanks

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
I saw those but they looked unclear. Nevertheless I ordered them. Now to find my heat gun.

What do you think of trying to install halo driving lights inside the housing?

Thanks
They are Crystal clear, the picture shows them with a protective film that peels off.
Halos have been done many times before. There are tons of YouTube videos on it.
I went with the integrated driving light and the cutoff removed for the OEM look.
Halos are sweet too.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They are Crystal clear.
Halos have been done many times before. There are tons of YouTube videos on it.
I went with the integrated driving light and the cutoff removed for the OEM look.
Halos are sweet too.
I'll look around at putting halos in. It seems a shame to have them open and not jazz it up.
I have factory fogs and they're not a big deal, probably just make me feel better having such poor headlights.
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you don't mind the effort, wet sanding with 1000 grit followed by rubbing compound and then polishing compound will do the trick. Then you only need to polish them every 6 months or so.

When you are wet sanding keep going in litle circles until the level of resistance changes. You can feel when all the old deteriorated plastic is removed. If they are bad it will take a little bit the first time. Alternatively you can use a restoration kit and drill.

The long term solution it to replace the covers. You can find the plastic covers on ebay (I bought these). They do require an oven or heat gun and some time/patience to redo. Youtube has videos galore on this process.
I just checked and there are offerings at Amazon $35 on up to about $55 for lenses. Few reviews and no comments provided. None include instructions that I looked at so you are on your own with the install.
If this is condensation, the gaskets failed with this car so moisture got sucked in from defective gaskets after a hot rainy day that was followed by a much cooler night and water was at the gasket area and got sucked in probably more then once. This same thing happens in home windows due to inferior seal between the window panes.
If the dealer doesn't have new gaskets, improvised gaskets can be made with RTV silicone sealer.
Below: Light assemblies for 2003 - 2006 Mazda6, $240 at Amazon and use stock bulbs.

Mazda 6 Black Bezel Dual Halo Ring Projector DRL LED Replacement Headlights w/Built-in Fog Light
Visit the AKKON Store

• Fits 03-06 Mazda Mazda6 Without Stock HID System Model Only, NOT COMPATIABLE WITH MODEL WITH STOCK HID SYSTEM
  • Comes in a Pair, Which Means Included Left Side (Driver Side) & Right Side (Passenger Side)
  • New Trend Projector Headlight Design, Provide Better Light Pattern Than Traditional Crystal Headlights; DRL LED Strip are made with the best materials and precisely illuminate with Ultra-Bright SMD LED chips
  • DOT (Department of Transportation) & SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Approved; Wiring Modification Might Be Needed On Halo And LED Connection, Please Check With Local Professional Mechanic
  • No Installation Guide or Instruction Included,

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
I just checked and there are offerings at Amazon $35 on up to about $55 for lenses. Few reviews and no comments provided. None include instructions that I looked at so you are on your own with the install.
If this is condensation, the gaskets failed with this car so moisture got sucked in from defective gaskets after a hot rainy day that was followed by a much cooler night and water was at the gasket area and got sucked in probably more then once. This same thing happens in home windows due to inferior seal between the window panes.
If the dealer doesn't have new gaskets, improvised gaskets can be made with RTV silicone sealer.
Below: Light assemblies for 2003 - 2006 Mazda6, $240 at Amazon and use stock bulbs.

Mazda 6 Black Bezel Dual Halo Ring Projector DRL LED Replacement Headlights w/Built-in Fog Light
Visit the AKKON Store

• Fits 03-06 Mazda Mazda6 Without Stock HID System Model Only, NOT COMPATIABLE WITH MODEL WITH STOCK HID SYSTEM
  • Comes in a Pair, Which Means Included Left Side (Driver Side) & Right Side (Passenger Side)
  • New Trend Projector Headlight Design, Provide Better Light Pattern Than Traditional Crystal Headlights; DRL LED Strip are made with the best materials and precisely illuminate with Ultra-Bright SMD LED chips
  • DOT (Department of Transportation) & SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Approved; Wiring Modification Might Be Needed On Halo And LED Connection, Please Check With Local Professional Mechanic
  • No Installation Guide or Instruction Included,
Hey there. What you are showing is not just a lens but the entire aftermarket assembly. I could see paying $35-$55 for lenses but that price for the entire assembly strikes me as too cheap. While it is not always true, often you get what you pay for, and that seems too cheap.
If you are opening up the lens it may be a good idea to also buy some butyl rubber headlight sealant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't mind the effort, wet sanding with 1000 grit followed by rubbing compound and then polishing compound will do the trick. Then you only need to polish them every 6 months or so.

When you are wet sanding keep going in litle circles until the level of resistance changes. You can feel when all the old deteriorated plastic is removed. If they are bad it will take a little bit the first time. Alternatively you can use a restoration kit and drill.

The long term solution it to replace the covers. You can find the plastic covers on ebay (I bought these). They do require an oven or heat gun and some time/patience to redo. Youtube has videos galore on this process.
I'm sure he was saying it's happening on the inside : "...... the fogging actually in not on the exterior, but appears to be pitting inside the plastic"

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm sure he was saying it's happening on the inside : "...... the fogging actually in not on the exterior, but appears to be pitting inside the plastic"
I was. I've ordered both new lenses and assemblies.
What do you guys use to seal the headlight back up? I was thinking Permatex RTV.
Have to find led bulbs now.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
I was. I've ordered both new lenses and assemblies.
What do you guys use to seal the headlight back up? I was thinking Permatex RTV.
Have to find led bulbs now.
Are you setting up two sets of headlights?
The new lenses are for the old assemblies? The new assemblies have halos in them for when you want that look? I would assume the new assemblies also have new lenses, yes?

The headlight has a butyl rubber headlight sealant in the channel of the cover and there may be enough still in place when you remove it, to not need any. Just reheat them so it distributes well.
This is the one I bought
Another vendor

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Are you setting up two sets of headlights?
The new lenses are for the old assemblies? The new assemblies have halos in them for when you want that look? I would assume the new assemblies also have new lenses, yes?

The headlight has a butyl rubber headlight sealant in the channel of the cover and there may be enough still in place when you remove it, to not need any. Just reheat them so it distributes well.
This is the one I bought
Another vendor
Basically, I've just gone hog wild on the project, which is why I am basically doubling the repair. I'm going to replace the lenses in the original assemblies, but I ran across new assemblies for around $300 so I went for it. I'm so sick of having crap headlights I'm pulling out all the stops.

Thanks for the info about the sealant. I saw a video that used RTV so I thought that was standard. Butyl rubber makes better sense.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 40 Posts