Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to replace the headlight assemblies. I've attached pics of what they look like now, the fogging actually in not on the exterior, but appears to be pitting inside the plastic.

What I hope you guys can do is tell me exactly what to buy.
I'd like to increase the output and color, but nothing crazy. Bring it up to modern standards.

So, if you don't mind, please be specific. Hunting around on the internet for parts for an obsolete car isn't fun! :)

thanks

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,862 Posts
If you don't mind the effort, wet sanding with 1000 grit followed by rubbing compound and then polishing compound will do the trick. Then you only need to polish them every 6 months or so.

When you are wet sanding keep going in litle circles until the level of resistance changes. You can feel when all the old deteriorated plastic is removed. If they are bad it will take a little bit the first time. Alternatively you can use a restoration kit and drill.

The long term solution it to replace the covers. You can find the plastic covers on ebay (I bought these). They do require an oven or heat gun and some time/patience to redo. Youtube has videos galore on this process.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,862 Posts
After polishing the first time, you can also get them clear coated to minimize or stop having to polish them later on. Or polish them and get them PPF'd.
I tried a UV resistant clear coat for plastic and it lasted <1year before peeling. It was a nightmare that I couldn't even polish anymore without taking the whole thing down with sanding again.
Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments, but it's not a haze like other headlights, and it's not on the outside. I tried refinishing the passenger side one, and no difference at all.
I think they need replaced.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some more pix. I don't know if you can see what's going on. They look dirty with those little dots, but these are clean. Smooth to the touch. The dots/pits seem to be in the plastic itself, not on the exterior but embedded in the plastic.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,635 Posts
If you believe that the problem with the lenses are inside the units, then you can "bake" the headlamp units in order to remove the lenses, then attack them with the aforementioned headlamp restorer.

Either that, or check out a pick-N-pull or a junkyard to find replacements.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. Thanks.
If you were buying something that was brighter, what would you get?

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. Well it kind of does. Rather than fix these I'd rather upgrade them.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,862 Posts
When I can't see I clean my glasses rather than buy new ones.
However, once you have the lenses off, it would be rather easy to upgrade the internal projector. You could go with HID or LED. If I recall Morimoto makes some well regarded units.
New lenses and high quality projectors in your old housings are likely to be much better than ebay replacements for the entire headlight, and likely cheaper too.

I put the DDM slimline 55w (4300K) kit units from Revolution Performance Motorsports using a separate relay.
I also ran the (5000K and 6000K) but the 4300K brighter without a doubt.

·
Administrator
8,635 Posts
Yes, and no.

A set of brighter bulbs may help, but if the lenses are foggy/weathered, they'll still not be working to their full potential. More importantly, the bad lenses will only scatter the light, instead of allowing the headlamp unit to aim and concentrate the beam onto the roadway ahead.

Personally, I'd do both! I'd either try and clean the existing lenses (or find a set of good ones), then pop in some brighter bulbs. Of all 3 gens of 6's, the 1st-gen headlamps were by far the worst, both in brightness and in usefulness.

Reactions: bdplaid

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yes, and no.

A set of brighter bulbs may help, but if the lenses are foggy/weathered, they'll still not be working to their full potential. More importantly, the bad lenses will only scatter the light, instead of allowing the headlamp unit to aim and concentrate the beam onto the roadway ahead.
Perfect example of this...

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd like to restate my request:
I'd like to get new headlight assemblies. I don't want to fix these. I'd like to upgrade to either led or HID. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them? I don't think Morimoto sells their HID assemblies for the 2004 6 anymore. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
LED or HID bulb doesnt matter if it wasnt HID in the first place. Youre making it harder than you think, you need to do NOTHING to put a different bulb in there. Fine, go ahead and spend $600+ on new housings, IF you can find them, or get shitty chinese knocks offs that youll be saddled with what they offer instead of what you need. You prob can get NEW LENSES which i already suggested, for well under $100 and put them on your existing housings.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda6 S Wagon
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I couldn't convert this to HID or led using new assemblies ? You seem to be saying that I'm stuck with what I've got because that's what it came with stock.

I know there are issues using stock assemblies with certain LED bulbs, both for heat generated and point of focus for the bulb itself. I want to avoid all the problems by buying assemblies that don't require refurbishment every few months as the old ones would if I sanded them, and also no problems with heat, electrical drain, or bulb focus.

It seems easier to me in the long run to just get a new assembly that's already outfitted with what I need. If it exists.

If there's nothing out there to do this, fine, but otherwise I want to upgrade from old halogen technology to new LED technology.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,635 Posts
Based on your pics, you've got the '03-'05 headlamps. There were no HIDs available as OEM, so IMO you'd be better off getting LEDs if you do find a good set of headlamp units.

Two things to be mindful with:

1. Be sure you find a set of headlamp units WITH the integrated fog lamps included. Lower-model 6s did not have that capability, even though the headlamp units looked identical.

2. Talon is just warning you that headlamp units for an older-model 6 won't be too easy to find, and new ones are pricey! Scour the interwebs to see if you can find a decent set of used units, while avoiding the Chinese knock-off which will more likely than not melt with ANY bulbs you use.

Also, if I remember correctly, you'll need an H1 bulb for the headlamp...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts