Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i dont yet own a mazda6, but i'm fairly sure i want to get one in canary yellow

anyway, i'll start with some background info, i'm located in Melbourne and would like to get some info about aftermarket options. Firstly, are there any places that will tint the headlight, just to give it that nice dark tone, like on the new Jag XKR. Looks fantastic.

Secondly, i've seen that there are super-white xeons on the market, like the ones on the new Merc SL, as seen in Nelly/Kelly - Dillemma. Has anybody fitted them? and if so, how much were they? i'm really interested in installing some!

thanks for your help

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Headlight tints'

Welcome to the forum Alex.

Good luck with your purchasing. If you do settle on a M6 you won't be dissapointed. I live near Sydney and have a Silver Contrail Classic Hatch. Me very happy!

About the headlights - I wouldn't tint the headlights if I were you. It will just diminish the brightness of them. If you want the darker background then can I suggest you look up the Mazda Japan website and look at getting hold of the black-housing headlights as an option. There is a thread here with a link to that site.

Also, the Oz spec '6 comes with Xenon fusion lights for the low beam and they are brilliant! No need to change them at all. The high beam however is just a H1 halogen bulb of only 55W. These can be better and I replaced the original bulbs with Philips Vision Plus H1 bulbs. They are still 55W (you can't really go any higher due to the plastic headlight lens) but they are brighter than the originals. I do a lot of country driving and am thinking of fitting some smallish driving lights in the 'hole' under the number plate. That should fix my appetite for light.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Headlight tints

thanks heaps for that, i dont think i will tint my headlights after that, i think practicality comes before appearance for me. Can you or anyone please tell me how much those Philips H1 bulbs, or the super-white xeons will cost per pair? i'm kinda interested in installing some! sounds fantastic

thanks heaps slaag!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Headlight tints'

They only cost about A$36a pair. However be careful of the 'no name' brands as there are a lot of other ones out there which just tint their H1's blue and call them Xenon's but they are just rubish. I'd stick to the Philips ones, or some other known brand like Hella or PIAA.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks for that, i've one several more questions. Firstly, where do i buy the bulbs? and secondly, where do u recommend me install them, as in, should i install them as the main headlights or as foglights? and i read above that you brought the H1s, does the M6 fit any other sizes? and finally, are the bulbs easy to install?

thanks for you assistance, you've been really helpfel!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Just go to a reputable car accesory place like AutoOne or SuperCheap Auto or similar. If they don't have the Philips VisonPlus bulbs they should be able to get them. I installed mine in the main (highbeam) headlights. I'm not sure but I think the fogs are H3's. I didn't change these as I want light that shines far ahead. I have very little use for fog lights and basically don't use them.

To install the H1's in the high beam slot was pretty easy. You have to remove the windscreen washer resevoir to get good access to the drivers side light and the airfilter box to get to the pasenger side light but once they are out of the way just follow the instructions in the owners manual for changing bulbs - pretty easy. Took me about 25min in total. I've read other people on this forum have removed the bumper to change the bulbs. That's insane and completely un-necesary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts