Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with a previous vehicle I owned there were forum members that managed to remove the lense itself from the headlight assembly. reason for doing this was to paint the inside of the housing in the same colour as the vehicle paint itself. I'm wondering if that's something that has been done on a 2004 6 by anyone, without destroying them?

my reasoning is that my LH driver side assembly has a crack in the bottom (not the lense) which has allowed moisture and the elements inside and it's discoloured the chrome finish as well as fogged the lense slightly. I can repair the crack from the outside of the housing, that's not the issue.

my idea would be to remove the lense, paint the housing gloss or flat black and reseal the lense to the housing. I know that I won't be able to clean up the plastic chrome finish, so painting them seems to make sense?

I looked for a replacement (used and new) and they are outrageously priced, as I'm sure you all well know. possibly because they are the ones with the integrated fogs in the headlight assembly?

I'm a newb to the 6, yes, so please go easy on me.. lol

any ideas, tips, suggestions?

thanks

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Lots of guys here have done it to swap projectors, paint bezels or install halos. You need to remove the headlight assembly from the car (involves removing the front bumper) and then heat up the adhesive holding the lens on.

Two ways of doing it. Most preffered & recommended is using a heat gun. The other option is baking it in the oven for 10 mins or so. I dont like the idea of putting an expensive assembly into the oven.

I believe most guys here reuse the original seal. Just heat it up again as you are putting it back together.

Hope that helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you .. that's the info I was looking for. now that you mention it the other site I belonged to they also did the oven method. something I'm not willing to try. I am willing to attempt the heat gun method however lol

I have already had the assembly out and back in again.. twice lol to change bulbs

thanks for the info mr.smoke

now the question is: bezel flat black or gloss black? because that'll have to do for now until I find a really good deal on a replacement

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Hey no problem man. Thats why we have this wonderful place. My buddy put his Maxima housings in the oven & partially melted the lenses :eek: Made me never wanna try it lol.

If im not mistaken, access to the headlights can be done through the wheel wells instead of removing the whole assembly. Something to consider next time round ;)

Personally, id go flat black. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Lots of guys here have done it to swap projectors, paint bezels or install halos. You need to remove the headlight assembly from the car (involves removing the front bumper) and then heat up the adhesive holding the lens on.

Two ways of doing it. Most preffered & recommended is using a heat gun. The other option is baking it in the oven for 10 mins or so. I dont like the idea of putting an expensive assembly into the oven.

I believe most guys here reuse the original seal. Just heat it up again as you are putting it back together.

Hope that helps.

THIS^

also here is a link for you that gives you instructions on how to remove the headlight housing, this one is for if you are installing HID lighting.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/180795-how-katsuro-5000k-hid-install.html

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
If you have an oven big enough, I wouldn't be afraid of using it at all. I was hesitant at first when I was installing my halos, but it's about 100x easier putting them in the oven than using a heat gun. And I'm MUCH more confident with the seal after putting them back together from the oven.

• Preheat oven to 325
  • Pull metal caps off from edges of headlights
  • Leave in oven for 10 minutes
  • Pull headlights apart.
For putting them back together:
  • Preheat oven to 325
  • Place headlight in for 5 minutes
  • Squeeze headlights together enough to put metal clips back on
  • Back in oven for 5 minutes
I've never had an issue yet, other than the terrible smell of cooking rubber :p

Just my opinion, either way good luck :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you have an oven big enough, I wouldn't be afraid of using it at all. I was hesitant at first when I was installing my halos, but it's about 100x easier putting them in the oven than using a heat gun. And I'm MUCH more confident with the seal after putting them back together from the oven.

• Preheat oven to 325
  • Pull metal caps off from edges of headlights
  • Leave in oven for 10 minutes
  • Pull headlights apart.
For putting them back together:
  • Preheat oven to 325
  • Place headlight in for 5 minutes
  • Squeeze headlights together enough to put metal clips back on
  • Back in oven for 5 minutes
I've never had an issue yet, other than the terrible smell of cooking rubber :p

Just my opinion, either way good luck :)
Which you are use to the smell of because that's what your food smells like! :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well I have the LH headlight out and was ready to preheat the oven and ONE thing concerned me before starting to play betty crocker with an expensive light

I noticed that there are threaded screws that appear to actually come from inside the housing, through the bezel and then into thread into the lens (head unaccessable).

here are just TWO of them I took pics of. after baking then what? or, does it just appear they are threaded into the clear portion of the lens?

Thanks!! :blush:

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
^^ Those are just holding in a metal plate within the headlight. They're used to hold that plate in so it can be a mounting point. The ONLY things holding your headlights together are those little clips and the 3M tape IIRC.

There might be a couple screws that I can't think of, but I know for a fact those ones inside aren't holding the bezel to the headlight, otherwise it would be impossible to get the headlights apart.

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm going to attempt the prt of the lens at 5min.. if doesn't go easy, I'll put back in for 2 - 3 more. and I have no ove gloves.. LOL

they're in

edit: mecahnics gloves worked just fine and 5min did the trick.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
5min did it!!

i think that was the easy part lol

there are 4 torx screws and 2 small phillips that are now accessable that go through the bezel into the lens. they look like they will allow me to separate the lens from the bezel

taking pics as I go in case it can really help someone else

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything fixed that needed to be fixed crack wise. everything cleaned up.. back in the oven for 5

decided not to paint as until I have the time to remove both headlights it'll look kind of silly. that can wait for another day.

thanks so much for the advice and help.. very appreciated :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks. me too although the chrome cleaned up some and so did the inside of the lens it's still very noticeably different than the RH headlight. at least it's sealed better then it was and supported better. the side mount behind the bumper cover was also broken. so that's fixed as well.

it'll do until i can track down one of these things i'll refer to as a needle in a haystack (integrated fog on an 04) lol

for now off to vaughn mills to meet a guy about some new summer rubber.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts