Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I had a quick question... i think my headlight bulb was loose and the heat made the plastic that holds the light in place break off. I was wondering could I glue this piece back on or do I have to buy a whole new light assembly? I included some pics. Let me know thanks! 20191108_211721.jpg 20191108_211729.jpg 20191108_211735.jpg 20191108_211741.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think their standard wattage, but the bulb was loose and I didn't know... SMH! you think I could glue that back on? or do you know anywhere I could get a used light assembly?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yea I think their standard wattage, but the bulb was loose and I didn't know... SMH! you think I could glue that back on? or do you know anywhere I could get a used light assembly?
Is the back of the headlight where the socket goes ok? If so, I'd just go to a junk yard and get a new socket and call it a day. No need to replace the headlight if it's just the socket that's bad.

I don't think glue is going to help because the plastic has already changed. Once plastic gets hot like that, it becomes brittle and I'm not sure of a glue that would be good in this case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the back of the headlight where the socket goes ok? If so, I'd just go to a junk yard and get a new socket and call it a day. No need to replace the headlight if it's just the socket that's bad.

I don't think glue is going to help because the plastic has already changed. Once plastic gets hot like that, it becomes brittle and I'm not sure of a glue that would be good in this case.
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm a bit new to cars sorry. Maybe you could show me a pic as an example? or I could take some pics also of mine. I seen this epoxy that I thought maybe would work? Blue Magic Quiksteel Thermosteel

·
Registered
221 Posts
I seen this epoxy that I thought maybe would work? Blue Magic Quiksteel Thermosteel
The recommendation is not base on the adhesive being used; rather, it is based on the integrity of the material that is being repaired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took some better pics of the actual back of the assembly and of the piece that broke off... it still fits in there if i put it in, so that's why I was thinking I could glue it back on, but not sure with what or If an epoxy glue would work? Or could I just buy that whole bulb piece for the headlight and have someone open up my assembly and install it rather then buying a whole new headlight? The cheapest I've seen online is around $250 and up for the whole headlight.

20191109_120316.jpg 20191109_120436.jpg 20191109_120618.jpg 20191109_120626.jpg 20191109_120642.jpg .

·
Registered
221 Posts
You are better off with replacing the unit; the materials are already compromised, and the odds of successfully repair with the optics being 100% are slim to none.
While a new replacement is expensive; there is always the used market, as well as junk yards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are better off with replacing the unit; the materials are already compromised, and the odds of successfully repair with the optics being 100% are slim to none.
While a new replacement is expensive; there is always the used market, as well as junk yards
Ok, but if I wanted to try to glue it at least till I could find an affordable replacement is there anything you would recommend?

·
Registered
543 Posts
The only thing I can think of is JB Weld. It can withstand the heat because many retrofitters use it on projectors. However, I'm not sure how well it will work. You can try the steel stick because it's more of a putty vs runny. It can be used to fill biggish cracks. Just know that this may not hold for long if at all.

My local pull a part charges $25-$40 for a headlight and they often have 1/2 off weekends. Infact it's 1/2 off this weekend for Veterans day. Check some local junk yards and you may be able to find a replacement for cheap. Most of the pull a parts will have an online vehicle inventory but not so much of what parts are still on the car.

·
Rally Racer
1,979 Posts
JB weld will easily do the job. My only concern is how it fits in the housing. If it aligns well and reflects properly then it would work. If it is in the housing crooked it could melt (like before) and with the weld there may cause fire...outside chance.
I would grab one from a salvage yard. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing I can think of is JB Weld. It can withstand the heat because many retrofitters use it on projectors. However, I'm not sure how well it will work. You can try the steel stick because it's more of a putty vs runny. It can be used to fill biggish cracks. Just know that this may not hold for long if at all.

My local pull a part charges $25-$40 for a headlight and they often have 1/2 off weekends. Infact it's 1/2 off this weekend for Veterans day. Check some local junk yards and you may be able to find a replacement for cheap. Most of the pull a parts will have an online vehicle inventory but not so much of what parts are still on the car.
I don't have any pull a parts in Florida, but I'll look for some similar sites or junk yards! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lol, what part of FL? We have many in Jacksonville.

Also look for part outs on Craigslist. Though those are few and far between on there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, what part of FL? We have many in Jacksonville.

Also look for part outs on Craigslist. Though those are few and far between on there
I'm in Orlando... I found some similar spots around my way and 1 of the places said they had it... so I'll have to check it out, but thanks for the info. I also tried this Blue Magic quicksteel reinforced epoxy putty and it stuck on... so i left it like that and I'll check it in the morning and see if he held up and put some more putty around it and see what happens... if it breaks off I'll get the headlight, but I also heard I could get a different year like a 2011 or 2012 and it should still work, but I'm not 100% on that. For some reason the 2011 and 2012 are much cheaper then the 2010.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JB weld will easily do the job. My only concern is how it fits in the housing. If it aligns well and reflects properly then it would work. If it is in the housing crooked it could melt (like before) and with the weld there may cause fire...outside chance.
I would grab one from a salvage yard. Good luck.
Thanks! I got some of this Blue Magic quicksteel reinforced epoxy putty and it looks like it's in place, but I'm leaving it like that till tomorrow to see what happens and then I'll reconnect it and see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys do you think I could use headlights that would fit a 2009 or 2011 model? because those seem to be cheaper then the 2010 model?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
04-08, 09-13 and 14-19 are the same body styles, so yes.
04-08, 09-13 and 14-19 are the same body styles, so yes.
How come when I check on ebay it says these aren't compatible?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts