Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some advice, I'm planning on replacing the headlight bulbs, as well as a few other modifications, but someone told me you need to remove the front bumper on my 06 6i to get at the headlights, is it really that involved or will they come out without removing the whole headlight mechanism.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did it without removing the bumper. Very tight, and ensure you you don't drop the bulb. I had retrieve one acouple times with a magnet. But just remember when you remove it, remember the position it came to help speed it putting the new ones in. Line up the nipples on the bulb with the housing and reclip it back in. The passenger side you have to unscrew over flow reservoir to get at it, and just is tight getting your hands in there. If you look under electrical there is a post there with pics on replacing bulbs.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
replacing the bulbs are really hard because it is so tight but i did mine without removing the bumper, but it was very hard

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I agree with the difficulty on the V6s in changing the low beams. People with smaller hands will be able to get the bulbs out better. And yes definitely unbolt the 10mm (3of them) on the coolant resevoir and push that and the hoses to the side to access the passenger side.

There's a write up in the electrical section somewhere....

·
Registered
978 Posts
I posted some pics when I installed mine. I have a v-6, so you'll have a lot more room than I for your hands...

anyway, here's the link:

how to install new headlight bulbs

·
Registered
382 Posts
but guys... why squeeze your hands into small spaces (and mine a pretty big, so it didnt work when i tried) when removing the fromnt bumper and headlight assembly was sooo soooooo easy!? (i was a newb when i tried it the first time, with the instructions on 6tech... it was a cake walk!)

but to each their own... just dont let the dealer coax you into paying for them to do it...

·
Registered
748 Posts
but guys... why squeeze your hands into small spaces (and mine a pretty big, so it didnt work when i tried) when removing the fromnt bumper and headlight assembly was sooo soooooo easy!? (i was a newb when i tried it the first time, with the instructions on 6tech... it was a cake walk!)
but to each their own... just dont let the dealer coax you into paying for them to do it...
[/b]
same here, removed the bumper and headlight assembly, which made it very easy to change bulbs. The only drawback is having to remove it all, several screws involved; but very easy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
well after installing the halos, and fixing the problems I had with them I got very good at removing the front bumber. I would recommend it if you're changing the bulbs. The first time you do it might take 25 minutes but everytime after that will take 10. Plus you don't have to worry about dropping the bulb if you're holding the headlight housing in your hand

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well after installing the halos, and fixing the problems I had with them I got very good at removing the front bumber. I would recommend it if you're changing the bulbs. The first time you do it might take 25 minutes but everytime after that will take 10. Plus you don't have to worry about dropping the bulb if you're holding the headlight housing in your hand
[/b]
Thanks for the advice, did you put in angel eyes as well, and how hard was it to do I had planned to do this in the future as well as some lighting under the front grill, so maybe I'll just wait and do all this at one time

·
Registered
548 Posts
I do have the angel eyes. The install is surprisingly easy, just time consuming. There is a lot of waiting and it's a little nerve racking having $200 headlights in the oven. Somebody, I think Falcon, had a very easy to follow write-up on the install, which included steps in removing the front bumper, but I'm a little too busy to look for it. Maybe somebody else can link it for you. I would definitely recommend the angel eyes though. I was the only one around here with them for about 6 months and they turned heads everywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts