Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the sports package with the fog lights in the standard headlamp kit. A fog light is out on the driver's side and a headlight out on the passenger's side.

I looked in the manual for some guidance on how to replace these and as I should have known it states, "Due to the complexity and difficulty of the procedure, the bulbs should be replaced by an Authorized Mazda Dealer."

I've taken a quick look under the hood to see if I could figure out how to get to/change the bulbs and it doesn't seem too difficult but still not something I could figure out on my own.

I'm sure it's not really necessary to take to a dealer, but I couldn't find any info in the forums about changing headlights and factory fog lights.

Any how-to's? Please send me the link. Otherwise, anybody that has done this yourself I'd love some advice.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
They are H3 bulbs. Buy a new set, pop off the covers, and install the new ones where the old ones were.

simple as that...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are H3 bulbs. Buy a new set, pop off the covers, and install the new ones where the old ones were.

simple as that...
[/b]
Do you pop the cover off by prying off the two clips at the top of the headlamp kit? There are 2 of them on each headlight, is that how you pop them off?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on replacing the bulbs tomorrow, but I stopped by Advanced Auto on my way home tonight to pick up the bulbs and since they didn't have a book I had to ask the mechanic which bulb I needed. I had not read your comment about needing H3 bulbs. Are you sure I need H3 bulbs because their computer system told me to get H1's which is what I purchsed.

Both bulbs are 55 watts which is fine, but is it H1 or H3 that I need because if it's H3 that I need, I need to go make an exchange.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for a good brand fuel system cleaner?

I want to put in a fuel system cleaner every time I changed my oil and I'm looking for a good quality cleaner to put in since I just changed my car oil for the first time. Just trying to take care of my mazda.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

simple as that...
[/b]
If it is '06 or newer the head lights are H1's and the fogs are H11's. I bought H3's for the fogs and gave them away after I pulled the old ones and found them to be H11's.
If you are looking... look into Philips Vision Plus 50. They are a hell of alot brighter than our stock Philips and aren't that much more $. I have a mad cool guy in England that I found on Ebay. PM me if you would like to check his web page.

And Dabers is right, it is that easy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is '06 or newer the head lights are H1's and the fogs are H11's. I bought H3's for the fogs and gave them away after I pulled the old ones and found them to be H11's.
If you are looking... look into Philips Vision Plus 50. They are a hell of alot brighter than our stock Philips and aren't that much more $. I have a mad cool guy in England that I found on Ebay. PM me if you would like to check his web page.

And Dabers is right, it is that easy.
[/b]
I bought the standard Sylvania bulbs because I want them to match the rest of my factory lights since only two bulbs are out between my fog, low-beam, and high-beam lights. I would be interested in looking for something brighter if I can replace all my bulbs for a decent price. By the way, I have a 2004 Mazda 6s 3.0L.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I bought the standard Sylvania bulbs because I want them to match the rest of my factory lights since only two bulbs are out between my fog, low-beam, and high-beam lights. I would be interested in looking for something brighter if I can replace all my bulbs for a decent price. By the way, I have a 2004 Mazda 6s 3.0L.
[/b]
Oh ok, so they are the H3's.
Check out www.carbulbs-direct.com for the Philips 50+. You can also check the Philips web site to see their write ups on them.
They are true white. No blue tint and they are fuckin bright. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or you can go to powerbulbs.com and get them there. Heck it may even be the same company Trebor is talking about on Ebay. Free shipping from England too. I get them in like 4-5 business days and Im in NY.
[/b]
kpjimmy...what year is your car and did you buy H3 or H1 lights for your fog lights/headlights? What brand did you go with purchasing your bulbs from powerbulbs?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Mine is a 2003 and bought the H1 lights. Went cheapie and bought the powerbulb brand that gives off 50% more light. Great thing is, you get a free pair with your order AND get some 194 blue(but really white) sylvanias. Great deal for the $ IMO. I don't have integrated fogs, but I think they are H3's (check the sticky in the exterior modifications section). I have PIAA Ion fogs with a yellow hue.

Good luck! And post pics when done!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I decided to go with factory replacements for now because I had already bought the regular bulbs. Changing was only a pain because everything was so tight and the headlights are by far the hardest because I had to remove the air box and the engine coolant to have room to get into the headlight compartment.

But all in all everything is replaced and working great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The Fogs in the headlamps use H3 (55W)

Low and High Beam use H1 (55W)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts