Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum.

This weekend i installed new bulbs for my headlights. Well the kind i bought were very cheap, and now i'm really not happy with how they look. I am going to get a different kind, so can anybody suggest a good bulb? I am looking for some that are available in blue. Thanks for the suggestions......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum.

This weekend i installed new bulbs for my headlights. Well the kind i bought were very cheap, and now i'm really not happy with how they look. I am going to get a different kind, so can anybody suggest a good bulb? I am looking for some that are available in blue. Thanks for the suggestions......
[/b]
Check out PIAA, I'm pretty sure they've got a blue(ish) bulb. If they don't, then check out the Xtreme White's that they carry. I got a set of those for my lowbeams a couple months ago and have been really happy with them. Also, try to stay away from Sylvania Silverstars, they don't last as long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at PIAA but did'nt see any blue lights. Maybe i'll switch it up and go with the super white. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I looked at PIAA but did'nt see any blue lights. Maybe i'll switch it up and go with the super white. Thanks for the help.
[/b]
I have the piaa hyperwhites, and i don't think they are on the blue side at all. it's a pretty clean white tone to it... check out their website and you'll see what options they have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yep, stay away from the Sylvania Silverstars. I only got 2 months out of my silverstar low beams and I don't even drive that much at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definetly stay away from them. So it sounds like piaa is the top dog, what's another good brand?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I do NOT recommend Silverstars. They burnout quickly.
There was a post about our cars pushing 14 volts which apparently is the cause.

I don't know why the PIAA would be more tolerant, but apparently they last longer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take a look at Dan Stern's site. He's an automotive lighting ninja and I've come to trust his judgement on all things lighting. His tests make him confident that there's not a heck of a lot of difference between the premium brands, (Narva Rangepower+50, Osram Silverstar, Tungsram Megalicht or Philips VisionPlus). The site's full of great info, even step-by-step aiming instructions, explains the absurdity of blue-coating a halogen bulb, and he sells the harder-to-get bulbs from european manufacturers like the Narva as well.

That being said, common sense says not to ignore the guys here whio have seen short lives on their Silverstars on our cars and those who are happy with their PIAAs. I got the Narva +50's too recently to comment on longevity, but they're certainly brighter than stock, and they're uncoated so they're not "whiter" (pronounced "bluer") except for the whiteness provided by the higher output.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a great site Anthem, thanks. After reading about the blue bulbs i think i will stay away from them. Where did you get your Narva +50's?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got them straight from him, four H1's for the highs and lows, and two H3 Tungsram Golds for the integrated fogs. e-mail him and he'll send you the ordering info. The gold's selective-yellow tint looks great in the integrated fogs - like the french version of Volvo's headlights, bright pale yellow and very sharp.

IIRC he's Visa or MC only and orders by phone, fax, or e-mail only, and we know well enough not to send full CC info via e-mail, so I went with fax.

Mail to Daniel Stern Lighting [[email protected]].

He's also very helpful if you have any questions -- in fact, be careful what you ask because you might accidentally trigger a lesson on the human eye's response to blue, yellow, and various conditions of light, glare, and blue sensitivities in various proportions of the population. More than I ever thought I'd want to know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Anthem
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing