Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you find the stock headlights to be too dim on the highway? If so, is it because they're actually too dim, or are they simply aimed too low? I'm not talking about brights btw, just low-beams. When I'm going down the highway, as soon as I switch to low beam I find myself being unable to see far enough in front of the car if I'm going anywhere near 100kmh (60mph).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
900 Posts
It is possible that your aim is off. If you are under your adjustment period (12 months, or 12K miles in the States), it is covered under warranty as long as there ids no evidence of accident repairs. Either way, get the aim checked at a shop/dealer. At least then you will know.

I had replaced my lowbeams with those Sylvania Silverstars and they were junk!!! One blew out after only six months and the other one's globe was frying! I swapped them back to the OE ones that I had saved and they are actually brighter. Go figure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible that your aim is off. If you are under your adjustment period (12 months, or 12K miles in the States), it is covered under warranty as long as there ids no evidence of accident repairs. Either way, get the aim checked at a shop/dealer. At least then you will know.

I had replaced my lowbeams with those Sylvania Silverstars and they were junk!!! One blew out after only six months and the other one's globe was frying! I swapped them back to the OE ones that I had saved and they are actually brighter. Go figure.
[/b]
I'll get em checked when I'm in for an oil change in a few weeks I guess. The car's under 2 months old.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
how much money do you want to spend?the lights being dim is a complaint most of us have had on here.Go with HID's.or if you want a drop in replacement get piaa's.and elizard is absolutely right,silverstar headlight bulbs are junk.i was popping those every month.

·
Registered
508 Posts
how much money do you want to spend?the lights being dim is a complaint most of us have had on here.Go with HID's.or if you want a drop in replacement get piaa's.and elizard is absolutely right,silverstar headlight bulbs are junk.i was popping those every month.
[/b]

I got the sylvanias....no problems so far, but the way things are going with others, im expecting for them to blow pretty soon, after that, im switching to HID's, thats the best bet dude, I spend 40 on sylvanias, I'd much rather pay 140 more to get a HID kit, so....GET HIDs! :yesnod:

·
Registered
823 Posts
My 2 cents.

I picked up a pair of Osram silverstars. Osram owns Silvania. The Silvania silver stars have a blue bulb, the Osram's do not. I picked mine up from Powerbulbs.com.

I've had them for about a year now and no blow outs, and they were just a h1 plug in replacement.

O, I also run the Osram All Seasons in my h3 fogs as well. They're on all the time with my lows, and no blow outs from them either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm considering going HID, but not sure I want to spend the money now. I absolutely do NOT want blue/blueish lights. I find them absolutely attrocious, and want to avoid them like the plague.

DSimmon: are they brighter than the oem bulbs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm considering going HID, but not sure I want to spend the money now. I absolutely do NOT want blue/blueish lights. I find them absolutely attrocious, and want to avoid them like the plague.

DSimmon: are they brighter than the oem bulbs?
[/b]

I bought an HID kit and had my local dealership install them. The tech knew exactly where to mount the ballasts and igniters, since the housings were designed for HID headlight systems to begin with. I emphatically HATE blue/purple HID kits. When are people going to realize that the farther you get away from pure white, the less illumination you get? ALL factory Xenon HID lighting systems are in the 4100 - 4300 K range. Anything above that is pointless.

When you first fire up Xenon HID lights, it takes about 30 seconds for the bulbs to heat up and change to white. So they are only blue when ignited. Also, most of the bluish tint that you tend to see with HID lighting is a result of the projector bulbs refracting the light as the vehicle travels over uneven pavement or bumps.

The most significant difference I saw when switching to HID from the factory halogen was the illumination width. The halogen lights simply focused light in two main areas in front, whereas the HID lighting lit up the entire front area all the way across.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My 2 cents.

I picked up a pair of Osram silverstars. Osram owns Silvania. The Silvania silver stars have a blue bulb, the Osram's do not. I picked mine up from Powerbulbs.com.

I've had them for about a year now and no blow outs, and they were just a h1 plug in replacement.

O, I also run the Osram All Seasons in my h3 fogs as well. They're on all the time with my lows, and no blow outs from them either.
[/b]

Both my Osrams blew in just over a year. I have them in my lower fogs as well and they're still going, but 1 year isn't long enough IMO. I shoulda just got HID's in the beginning. :swearin:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah your not alone! I think the 6's headlights dont produce enough lighting! If you do plan on getting HID's, get it from rpm on this site....Excellent customer service! :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
you can look at the rpm site and find a chart that tells you the lumens and color range for HID's.then you will have to make up your mind if you want the 35w kit or the 50w kit

·
Registered
867 Posts
yeah i agree I'm interested in upgrading low beams as well found this: PowerBlue H1 Since I'm new to lights and have little knowledge of knowing what to look for. What do you guys think? These alright?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most significant difference I saw when switching to HID from the factory halogen was the illumination width. The halogen lights simply focused light in two main areas in front, whereas the HID lighting lit up the entire front area all the way across.
[/b]
So there wasn't really an improvement in the length of the beam? That's my primary concern on the highway, it just doesn't go far enough.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So there wasn't really an improvement in the length of the beam? That's my primary concern on the highway, it just doesn't go far enough.
[/b]
I have the same complaint about the length of the beam. It just doesn't seem to shine out far enough. Even going 30mph, I have a hard time seeing. Having the fog lights on does help a lot though, but I shouldn't have to have them on to see where I am going. I took my car to the dealer and they said it was normal and I would just have to get used to it. I would get PIAA's or silverstars but after reading many posts about them blowing after a few months, I just don't have the money for that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well I just did my Xtec Hid install and bought some piaa super whites H3 for the fogs http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=PIA15223/353.0
I gotta tell you that it makes a big difference width wise and length wise!!! I'll also keep an eye on the piaa bulbs and see how long they last me!!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
What year is your 6 hillmar? In my owner's manual it says the fogs are H11s. I'm asking because I'm going to order the Xtec bulbs for the fog lights and I want to make sure I don't get the wrong ones.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine is a 2004 M6 so yeah its a H3....I think yours is H11's!

·
Registered
32 Posts
[/b]
It reaches a bit farther than halogen lighting, but keep in mind that halogen fades off a lot more gradually. Xenon HID lighting has a sharp cutoff so that there is full illumination, and then darkness. A lot of drivers find that without the gradual fade, it's harder to see farther away since your eyes have to adjust between full intensity brightness to complete darkness. It's probably why bi-xenon systems were developed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts