Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the type of bulb that is used in the headlights that illuminates the high-beam housing when they are not turned on (i.e. the small bulb that provides accent lighting)?

Also, has anyone tried putting a different color bulb in there? If so, post pictures if you can....

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
That's not "accent lighting" those are your parking lights. And they are size 194. 4 or 5 LED swaps are common and, since they're just common sized LEDs, people put all sorts of different colors in there. In my avatar to the left those are Hyper White LEDs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not "accent lighting" those are your parking lights. And they are size 194. 4 or 5 LED swaps are common and, since they're just common sized LEDs, people put all sorts of different colors in there. In my avatar to the left those are Hyper White LEDs.[/b]
Well, they aren't exactly our parking lights since our side-markers essentially accomplish that task. None the less, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Well, they aren't exactly our parking lights since our side-markers essentially accomplish that task. None the less, thanks for the info.[/b]
They are your parking lights. Sidemarkers and parking lights are not the same thing and you are required to have both (or a single light that emits the proper amount of lighting in both directions). The sidemarkers on the 6 throw virtually no light forward of the car at all, as noticed by the little tiny pinpricks of light in my avatar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are your parking lights. Sidemarkers and parking lights are not the same thing and you are required to have both (or a single light that emits the proper amount of lighting in both directions). The sidemarkers on the 6 throw virtually no light forward of the car at all, as noticed by the little tiny pinpricks of light in my avatar.[/b]
I suppose that makes sense. I can't say I have ever had the drive to read a manual, so I will take your word! None the less, I need to install some bulbs so that my car can have "parking lights" since the dealer forgot to re-install them when they replaced the head lights. Minus points for the dealer once again....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to AutoZone, Murray's Auto, and WalMart today in search of 194 LED replacement lights but the closest I came was at AutoZone and they only had 4-LED Amber colored replacement bulb set. I would rather have a different color, which is why I didn't buy them. Where is a good place to buy these LEDs?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went to AutoZone, Murray's Auto, and WalMart today in search of 194 LED replacement lights but the closest I came was at AutoZone and they only had 4-LED Amber colored replacement bulb set. I would rather have a different color, which is why I didn't buy them. Where is a good place to buy these LEDs?[/b]
Ebay or Autolumination.com. Look for 194 or 168 LED bulbs. Be prepared to replace them often as LEDs tend to die from the heat of the main bulbs (low/high beams) in the housing. The Man also will not be too pleased if you stray too far from white or amber.

They are your parking lights. Sidemarkers and parking lights are not the same thing and you are required to have both (or a single light that emits the proper amount of lighting in both directions). The sidemarkers on the 6 throw virtually no light forward of the car at all, as noticed by the little tiny pinpricks of light in my avatar.[/b]
They also serve a function as "clearance lights". If you have a headlight out, other drivers (at night) will be able to tell where the sides of your front end are. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you know. Everyone says that they die fast but I've been running the same LED's in my parking lights for over a year and they still work perfect lol.[/b]
That's odd since LEDs are very durable or at least the ones that are used in building lighting applications are. That's not to say the same quality is designed into the $10 off-brand LEDs sold by auto parts stores....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a quick search for 194 LEDs on ebay and discovered that there are a ton of sellers....does anyone have any advice of what to look for other than the desired color? I am hesitant to think they are the same quality as those LEDs found on AutoLumination.com or even AutoZone.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did a quick search for 194 LEDs on ebay and discovered that there are a ton of sellers....does anyone have any advice of what to look for other than the desired color? I am hesitant to think they are the same quality as those LEDs found on AutoLumination.com or even AutoZone.[/b]

try superbrightleds.com also.. they got a ton to choose from, fast shipping and great service too. i bought bulbs that didnt fit into a hole and they accepted them back, full return minus the original shipping. no ebayer will do that for ya

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
try superbrightleds.com also.. they got a ton to choose from, fast shipping and great service too. i bought bulbs that didnt fit into a hole and they accepted them back, full return minus the original shipping. no ebayer will do that for ya[/b]
Thanks, i'll check it out. What are the bulb dimensions we have to work with? I don't want to have the same problem and order an LED array that is too large.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check out www.frickinbrite.com

the bulb size you need is "194". This size bulb is also used for the rear lisence plate lights, interior lighting and the lights on the driver and front passenger doors. All of which I have replaced. I recommend the "VELOCITY LEDS HID WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 194" , the look awesome! But use whatever color you want. So far I have not been pulled over (over a year), and I passed state inspection.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check out www.frickinbrite.com

the bulb size you need is "194". This size bulb is also used for the rear lisence plate lights, interior lighting and the lights on the driver and front passenger doors. All of which I have replaced. I recommend the "VELOCITY LEDS HID WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 194" , the look awesome! But use whatever color you want. So far I have not been pulled over (over a year), and I passed state inspection.[/b]
Thanks, but I would like to know the bulb dimensions. I already know I need the 194 style. Do you have the 4, 5, or 6 LED bulb?

Also, has anyone seen or tried those new Night Hawk bulbs from GE? They are your typical incandescent bulbs like what comes stock in the car, but they claim to be 20% brighter than the conventional bulbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, i got some pics for you. The picture where you can see both head lamps seems brighter than they are. But up close it's pretty right on. These bulbs have 6 micro LEDs. I've tried the LEDs that point in 5 directions but they do not fit the head lamp assembly. So stick with bulb dementions equal to or smaller than stock bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think these LEDs with complement 6000K HIDs nicely, not sure if you'll get an exact color match but these appearance wise are a thousand times better than stock bulbs in my opinion. They have a very slight blue hue to them, and I passed state inspection at the Mazda Dealership. Here state laws are strict.

I have SilverStar bulbs right now. The LED's are much "whiter" making the SilverStars look yellow by comparison. I hope to install 6000K HIDs in the future, perhaps this summer affter I install a MAZDASPEED intake and cat-back exhaust. Still debating over 50watt verses 35watt HIDs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think those look very good. I am just worried that they will burn out too quickly. I'm not to fond of knowing my LED parking lights will most likely stop working if I use my high-beams for an extended period of time. You don't by chance have a picture with your head lights on so I can see how the LEDs look next to the low-beams, do you?

Does anyone actually know the dimensions of the stock parking light bulbs so I can be certain that the bulb I choose will fit?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.