Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (DrLove @ Jan 4 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627305
Is it possible to install HID on both sides WITHOUT removing the front bumper? Im looking to do mine or go at a tuning shop to install HID, so It would be great to know how hard it is to install the HID bulbs, ballast. Thanks![/b]
Honestly, you can get in there on the driver's side, but it would be damn near impossible to get into the passenger side and get the bulb into the headlight without touching the bulb. There's plenty of room to mount the ballasts, although I went the safe route and bought the DDM Slimkit, which is the slim ballasts, but thats the easiest part, and you could get away with full size ballasts if you so choose. It's not tough at all, you just have to unscrew the plastic clips in both wheel wells (probably 10-20 clips in both wheel wells) and then a couple screws up top (underneath the hood) and the bumper is off.

QUOTE (Deadstick @ Jan 6 2010, 06:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627822
How is the cut off with hids installed. I don't suppose anyone has some "garage door" shots of before and after?
Are people beaming you with them? May be my first mod once it warms up a bit. These lights are the one downer so far that I have found with the car.[/b]
I don't have any befores, or afters but that will be changed in a couple days when I get a working digi camera over here. Honestly mine were plug and play, I didn't do any adjustments on them, and they are pointed right where the factory halogens were, with a very sharp cutoff. The only thing that annoys me is the "squirrel finder" part of the headlights (two small slivers of light aimed slightly higher), but they look great, and I haven't been flashed by anyone to this point so it seems like they are just right. It's like night and day, highly recommend doing this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So in order to remove the head lights your saying you have to take off the bumper?

So in order to remove the head lights your saying you have to take off the bumper?

·
Registered
181 Posts
QUOTE (JBB @ Jan 7 2010, 10:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628119
Honestly, you can get in there on the driver's side, but it would be damn near impossible to get into the passenger side and get the bulb into the headlight without touching the bulb. There's plenty of room to mount the ballasts, although I went the safe route and bought the DDM Slimkit, which is the slim ballasts, but thats the easiest part, and you could get away with full size ballasts if you so choose. It's not tough at all, you just have to unscrew the plastic clips in both wheel wells (probably 10-20 clips in both wheel wells) and then a couple screws up top (underneath the hood) and the bumper is off.

I don't have any befores, or afters but that will be changed in a couple days when I get a working digi camera over here. Honestly mine were plug and play, I didn't do any adjustments on them, and they are pointed right where the factory halogens were, with a very sharp cutoff. The only thing that annoys me is the "squirrel finder" part of the headlights (two small slivers of light aimed slightly higher), but they look great, and I haven't been flashed by anyone to this point so it seems like they are just right. It's like night and day, highly recommend doing this.[/b]
It's the squirrel finders that concern me. I would rather have the regular lights than ones that annoy on coming traffic. Are you getting beamed at all? Have you checked it by coming at your car with a different car?

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (Deadstick @ Jan 9 2010, 10:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628452
It's the squirrel finders that concern me. I would rather have the regular lights than ones that annoy on coming traffic. Are you getting beamed at all? Have you checked it by coming at your car with a different car?[/b]
No, I'm yet to be beamed (just drove the 10 east tonight between from LA to Phoenix, and no flashes or anything) I havent tested it by coming at my car, but considering they are aimed EXACTLY where my factory lights were at, and nobody has flashed me or anything, it doesn't concern me. If someone says something to me, or I get flashed, then I'll mess with it, but if no one has any complaints, then I have no work to do. The squirrel finders actually (and I didn't know this until I put in the conversion kit) let just enough light out high enough to make the street signs light up off their reflectors, but not enough to actually affect anyone or blind anyone or anything like that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
just because you are not being flashed doesn't mean your lighting system is safe. there is a reason why retrofitting HIDs is illegal in the US. a good retrofit would address the glare and beam pattern issues but you won't be able to guarantee 100% compliance.

i tried sylvania silverstars which were a nice improvement but they burned out in less than a year. i've also tried +50 bulbs from narva which lasted a little longer. they were not coated blue like the silverstars so they were much brighter and and more efficient, but where not as "white" in appearance. right now i have philips x-treme power bulbs which are partially coated in blue. a slight "white" appearance and much greater spread in visibility, best bulbs that i've tried so far.

fyi, low beams are not meant for distance viewing, their jobs are to illuminate the road directly infront of you. use high beams for the distance ahead of you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Once again, my low beams are EXACTLY where my factory beams were at, this was measured using tape on the garage door to mark the old headlights and new. I drove in tandem with 3 of my friends out there and no one in any of the other cars complained about my lights. Like I said, if anyone complains then I'll address it. My girlfriend would have definitely complained if they were too bright, she didnt, ipsofacto they're probably OK. I thought about silver stars, but everyone seemed to say the same thing: "Money Pit", being that I'm a pretty cost effective guy, I'm not going to piss away $50 on bulbs every 4-6 months when I can just convert the headlights for $60, and more than likely never have to mess with it again. I also am fully aware of what low beams are and what they used for, and how and when to use high beams, but thanks for your insight :).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am still very interested at some after market HID beam-shots... personally, i hate badly mod headlights that give awful glare and I don't want to do the same to other drivers on the road. That being said, HID is just much brighter not to say it's also much nicer looking. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I guess I got lucky with my Silverstars. I got 11 months out of them.

My Integra's 9006 Silverstars lasted 18 months.

I replaced them with a set of Nokya Cosmic Whites. They are still good to this day but were really still substandard in light output. (they were always substandard with halogens) I realized this when I drove my wife's PT-GT back to back with my car at night. Her car still has the factory original headlamp bulbs in just plain reflector type housings. It was noticeably better.

So I got tired of waiting for the Nokyas to burn out after a couple of years and installed a 4300K HID conversion kit. I couldn't be happier. I actually only use my foglights now in heavy fog.

Haven't had anyone flash their highs at me yet.

I compared mine to a new TSX's HIDs. The cutoff is in exactly the same place. The TSX's factory projectors do have a more distinct cutoff line though. Mine is a little less defined/more fuzzy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE (Spazdog @ Jan 29 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633317
I guess I got lucky with my Silverstars. I got 11 months out of them.

My Integra's 9006 Silverstars lasted 18 months.

I replaced them with a set of Nokya Cosmic Whites. They are still good to this day but were really still substandard in light output. (they were always substandard with halogens) I realized this when I drove my wife's PT-GT back to back with my car at night. Her car still has the factory original headlamp bulbs in just plain reflector type housings. It was noticeably better.

So I got tired of waiting for the Nokyas to burn out after a couple of years and installed a 4300K HID conversion kit. I couldn't be happier. I actually only use my foglights now in heavy fog.

Haven't had anyone flash their highs at me yet.

I compared mine to a new TSX's HIDs. The cutoff is in exactly the same place. The TSX's factory projectors do have a more distinct cutoff line though. Mine is a little less defined/more fuzzy.[/b]
You're double blessed.

Hondas (and Acuras) have an ELD which is the angel and the demon of their electrical systems . . . having HIDs (the ballasts are voltage regulated), you won't see bulbs burning out, but halogens are ridiculously sensitive to voltage cycling up and down. Part of the whole "fuel economy" angle is that when the battery is charged, the alternator gets cycled down . . . . if this isn't working 100% correctly, you could eat bulbs every 1-3 months.

Silverstars are a Honda's favorite food . . . . you definitely lead a charmed life (bulb wise).

-----------

So, have we confirmed that the HIDs have different or same lenses as the halogens stock? Glare/vision wise, lenses make a difference . . . I'm wondering if they're the same part on both versions.

----------
Interesting point: I have factory hids and I got last second brights blinding from an oncoming car because the Cadillac in front of me had NO headlights (only DRLs) on . . . douche bag, you know how to spell it: G-R-E-E-N-W-I-C-H (CT).

-Ernie

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (Ernie @ Jan 29 2010, 09:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633322
You're double blessed.

Hondas (and Acuras) have an ELD which is the angel and the demon of their electrical systems . . . having HIDs (the ballasts are voltage regulated), you won't see bulbs burning out, but halogens are ridiculously sensitive to voltage cycling up and down. Part of the whole "fuel economy" angle is that when the battery is charged, the alternator gets cycled down . . . . if this isn't working 100% correctly, you could eat bulbs every 1-3 months.[/b]
I can't explain why they lasted so much longer on the Integra than my 6. I thought maybe it was because the 9006 is a newer design/larger bulb than the H1.

I had a set of :barf: (I can't believe I am about to admit this) APCs that were just WAY too blue in my ED3. I gave them to another Civic owner. He had them for a long time. Of all the crap APC marketed, their ugly intense blue bulbs might actually have been of decent quality. They continued to work after he crashed it and broke the headlight lenses. It took getting the housings filled up with rainwater to kill them.

I just wish I would have ponied up the cash for an HID conversion sooner. I tried a lot of Halogen bulbs. Streetglow Xenon white last about a month and are horrible compared to the Silverstars. Silverstars are almost acceptable in light output and color and terrible in lifespan. Nokyas? well, they were decent...for halogens. I may get a set of yellows for my foglights.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can confirm that it is possible to install HID on our gen2 WITHOUT removing the bumper. You need to turn the wheel to remove the inside fender clips, and turn again to get acces to remove the bulb,etc. Took 1.5hrs. It's easy to drill the hole for the HID cable, the center of the cap ihas a little spot so you can align the drill very well. The cutoff is clean, no glare, very bright with a bluish light at the cutoff...really nice. We put 5000K 35W, very OEM.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The halogen and HID headlight assemblies look to be similar. If the halogen units are like my HIDs, the adjustment gear is tucked away. With the headlights deep in the fenders, the adjustment isn't easy to see at first.

On my pass side, there's a little guide on the collant reservoir. Slip a long phillips head screwdriver thru it and it should reach a small gear that looks like WWWW. Twist the screw driver so the flanges engage the WWWW gear.

On the driver side it's a bit more open. Look for a white collar with the WWWW gear visible in the center.
i need to adjust my HIDs. i tried doing it just now but its too hard to do in the day, i cant notice any differences. so i will re-attempt at night. but do these adjusters move the light up/down or left/right? i need to adjust mine both horizontally and vertically. any tips?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I only got them to move vertically. I tried looking for a horizontal mechanism, but no luck. I had to really work at it to get the phillips head to match up with the mechanism. You have enough space to see whether not it is turning. Also, if you do it at night, you'll notice the movement more. I shined it on my garage door and used the indents on the door as a guideline.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
thanks! yeah i got it done really easily at night. at 1st i adjusted them WAY too high haha. then i finally got it just right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The halogen and HID headlight assemblies look to be similar. If the halogen units are like my HIDs, the adjustment gear is tucked away. With the headlights deep in the fenders, the adjustment isn't easy to see at first.

On my pass side, there's a little guide on the collant reservoir. Slip a long phillips head screwdriver thru it and it should reach a small gear that looks like WWWW. Twist the screw driver so the flanges engage the WWWW gear.

On the driver side it's a bit more open. Look for a white collar with the WWWW gear visible in the center.
So I noticed that this will move them vertically but does that mean we are suppossed to assume they are never aimed more left or right than they should be since I have yet to see a mention of or find a horizontal adjustment screw?

·
Registered
2 Posts
( nevermind that hit thread has been dormant for the last 8 years )

Try this out for how to aim your headlights
Well I have an 09 mazda 6 and all i can see are the 2 white columns that have a gear at the end of them. Since i had my right headlight replaced it seems to aim straight however I just need to adjust them so they shoot far enough ahead to illuminate the road in front of me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts