Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 6 and am somewhat disappointed in the headlight performance. I have the halogen headlights. It seems that the low beams don't project very far down the road or very far to the shoulder. I have tried to find the adjusters without luck. Does anyone know how to adjust these headlights? Also I am considering replacing the low beams with Silverstar. Does anyone have any experience with this bulb? Will it really improve peformance? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I cannot say for 2nd gens but for the 1st gens silverstars blow out in a month or two. Not sure why. If you want brighter, are HIDs available yet for you guys? Send a message to Oliver at xenonexpert.com, They are vendors here and can help out with any lighting questions.

GL

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my opinion Silverstars are nice compared to regular bulbs, but I also had not much luck with having them not blow out after 2 or 3 months.
I know they're guaranteed for a yr but it's a pain to continually return to the store and replace them.
I just put a Piaa extreme white bulb in my bike and noticed it emits more light and a noticeably whiter light than the Silverstars. They claim it to 4000k I believe.
A few bucks more than Silverstars but worth it, especially if they last longer. Maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The halogen and HID headlight assemblies look to be similar. If the halogen units are like my HIDs, the adjustment gear is tucked away. With the headlights deep in the fenders, the adjustment isn't easy to see at first.

On my pass side, there's a little guide on the collant reservoir. Slip a long phillips head screwdriver thru it and it should reach a small gear that looks like WWWW. Twist the screw driver so the flanges engage the WWWW gear.

On the driver side it's a bit more open. Look for a white collar with the WWWW gear visible in the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Trippp @ Oct 16 2009, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1609442
The halogen and HID headlight assemblies look to be similar. If the halogen units are like my HIDs, the adjustment gear is tucked away. With the headlights deep in the fenders, the adjustment isn't easy to see at first.

On my pass side, there's a little guide on the collant reservoir. Slip a long phillips head screwdriver thru it and it should reach a small gear that looks like WWWW. Twist the screw driver so the flanges engage the WWWW gear.

On the driver side it's a bit more open. Look for a white collar with the WWWW gear visible in the center.[/b]

Thanks Trippp, worked perfectly!

·
Registered
659 Posts
There's too many plug and pray hid kits on the road here . . . I'm loving the OEM HIDs on my M6.

If I'd have bought the lowest end possible, that'd by my second mod (OEM part upgrades) after a stereo . . .

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE (PMX6 @ Oct 20 2009, 08:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610070
What parts are required to update to the OEM HIDs?[/b]
1) Well, the only OEM part you actually would need is the housings.
Junk yards are your friend for these. Most junkyards are still on phone-and-fax tech, so count on making phone calls and doing it the old way. You'll save a ton of money, even over ebay. Car-part.com (is that the right website) can tell you who has what. There's a 6s I was looking at over in Toronto (I think) . . . that was totaled. You can try to locate something like a hood, then call that junkyard because they may not list the housings.

2) Bulbs
Buy whatever decent replacement brand is correct for the particular model.

3) Ballasts
Again, no reason to go OEM here; read up and get a good ballast to power the bulbs.

From there, you basically would do a direct-run on power, relay it to the existing headlight wire.

It's not a minor changeout, but in the end, it would look better than any "just plug it in and make it work" and you'd have a legal cutoff since the housings and mated lenses are US DOT marked.

-Ernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm surprised other users only had a service life of two-three months with the SilverStars. When I have used these or other "brighter" halogen bulbs, they last a year for more. Certainly less than stock, though. Are the bulbs getting dirty from fingers, for example, that would cause the shortened life?

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE (Fudd @ Oct 20 2009, 08:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610279
I'm surprised other users only had a service life of two-three months with the SilverStars. When I have used these or other "brighter" halogen bulbs, they last a year for more. Certainly less than stock, though. Are the bulbs getting dirty from fingers, for example, that would cause the shortened life?[/b]
Allow me to introduce you to the world of "Correlation is not Causation" :)

The forum I used to belong to had this really weird annecdotal science about silverstars ("Buy only osram silverstars" and "any silverstar, as long as it's made in germany" and my favorite "any silverstar that isn't sold at walmart") about which ones worked.

This is, without a doubt, the most sobering, STFU lighting website ever:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Before I get to silverstars, these are my favorite "number one hits":
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/li.../fog_lamps.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

Okay, the answer to silverstars (not 3 months, but shorter life) is here:

-----------
I've pissed off the troglodytes and intrigued, like, two of you . . . let me tell you about my CR-V:
My CR-V ATE headlights. 2-3 months, even Long Life bulbs.

I had an ELD malfunction that didn't let my alternator shut off (like most cars do). Essentially, I was running at 13.2v all the time; once I did an idle-learn, it cycled down to 12.4 occasionally and my bulbs lasted me much longer. Hondas are supposed to cycle down when the load is low, so they get better gas mileage . . . once that was working right it stopped popping bulbs.

I've had a chance to use my scangaugeII for a few days (removed it since the OBDII is really in the way of driving) and the voltage really doesn't drop below 13.2 that I've seen . . . probably bulb-eaters for silverstars, unless vregs are being used.

HID ballasts are on voltage regulators, so the life on those is at least 3 years . . . (Mazda covers that under OEM warranty).

-Ernie

·
Registered
476 Posts
My silverstar fogs and headlight on my last car (toyota solara) was like candles. every 6 months I was buying new one. In fact I bought new one and return the old bulb for refund, because the company doesnt refund me. It was very effective, brighter, less yellow, but it s not normal to change your bulbs every 6 months or so! next time I will buy HID

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE (DrLove @ Oct 21 2009, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610680
My silverstar fogs and headlight on my last car (toyota solara) was like candles. every 6 months I was buying new one. In fact I bought new one and return the old bulb for refund, because the company doesnt refund me. It was very effective, brighter, less yellow, but it s not normal to change your bulbs every 6 months or so! next time I will buy HID[/b]
they now have a 12 month satisfaction guarantee, according the the package

·
Registered
476 Posts
QUOTE (6er @ Jan 3 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1626947
they now have a 12 month satisfaction guarantee, according the the package[/b]
I live in Canada and I bought them at CanadianTire. It was easy to get new bulbs for free, but very annoying to put new bulbs every 6 months. On the 6 it's seems very hard to replace the low beam bulbs, I guess we need to turn the wheels, pop some plastic rovets and play inside the fender ? I got my car this fall so I haven't play on it yet. I plan to put 5000K 35W HID, but I dont have a warm place to play.

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Ernie @ Oct 20 2009, 08:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610301
Allow me to introduce you to the world of "Correlation is not Causation" :)

The forum I used to belong to had this really weird annecdotal science about silverstars ("Buy only osram silverstars" and "any silverstar, as long as it's made in germany" and my favorite "any silverstar that isn't sold at walmart") about which ones worked.

This is, without a doubt, the most sobering, STFU lighting website ever:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Before I get to silverstars, these are my favorite "number one hits":
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/li.../fog_lamps.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

Okay, the answer to silverstars (not 3 months, but shorter life) is here:

-----------

-Ernie[/b]
Thanks for the Daniel Stern website link(s). Excellent information...

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (DrLove @ Jan 3 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1626994
On the 6 it's seems very hard to replace the low beam bulbs, I guess we need to turn the wheels, pop some plastic rovets and play inside the fender ? I got my car this fall so I haven't play on it yet. I plan to put 5000K 35W HID, but I dont have a warm place to play.[/b]
Unlike yourself I live in Phoenix, which makes cold weather obsolete :dmetal: So I did the HID conversion (with the slim balast kid from DDMTuning, GREAT product I love it so far!), and your pretty much right, except removing the headlights completley made the installation much more time consuming, but a LOT easier. But, yes, for the most part its a turn the wheels, pop off the clips, remove some screws and clips under the hood, and pop the bumper off. You can probably get at the driver side headlight without taking it out, but there is no hope for the passenger side

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is it possible to install HID on both sides WITHOUT removing the front bumper? Im looking to do mine or go at a tuning shop to install HID, so It would be great to know how hard it is to install the HID bulbs, ballast. Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
QUOTE (DrLove @ Jan 4 2010, 09:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627305
Is it possible to install HID on both sides WITHOUT removing the front bumper? Im looking to do mine or go at a tuning shop to install HID, so It would be great to know how hard it is to install the HID bulbs, ballast. Thanks![/b]
How is the cut off with hids installed. I don't suppose anyone has some "garage door" shots of before and after?
Are people beaming you with them? May be my first mod once it warms up a bit. These lights are the one downer so far that I have found with the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (Deadstick @ Jan 6 2010, 05:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627822
How is the cut off with hids installed. I don't suppose anyone has some "garage door" shots of before and after?
Are people beaming you with them? May be my first mod once it warms up a bit. These lights are the one downer so far that I have found with the car.[/b]

I am super interested at the before and after shot as well... :) If it looks good, I am switching to HID.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts