Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really understand what exhaust headers are and what they do. Can they be put on our car? (I have V6 Hatch). Do they give performance gains and/or a louder sound to the exhaust? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Think of it like this: An intake lets more air into the engine, headers let more out. They should give both performance and sound increase. I think at this point in time there are two options for the v6, MSDS and CPE.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I don't really understand what exhaust headers are and what they do. Can they be put on our car? (I have V6 Hatch). Do they give performance gains and/or a louder sound to the exhaust? Thanks a lot.
[/b]
My post was edited by the mods.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
basically:

the engine needs air so it sucks it in through the intake and the air mixes with fuel in the engine and combusts. the exhaust gas created by this needs to escape, and the first place they go are the headers. by creating less restrictive headers, backpressure is reduced and the exhaust gas is allowed to move faster and more efficiently on its exit from the engine.

i think? i hope thats right. headers are an excellent way to get more power. some headers don't create a different sound at all, but it really depends on your exhaust setup more than the headers i think.

for the v6, i believe CP-E is the only company thats made them.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i'm with Dabears ;)

also as said by Business, the improve airflow out of the combustion chamber. a good header will actually help in sucking air out of the combustion chamber at certain rpms. headers are typically always a good mod, though for some, breaking the law is more than some will go for.

reminder...especially in the Newbie section, if you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say....don't

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I understand what they do now. When I posted this topic I was thinking of just getting headers for now instead of spending $650 for the Injen SES... but I just went to therpmstore.com and noticed the CP-E headers are $900... HA! Yeahhh I was not expecting that. But the site says that they'll give a gain of 20 HP and 18 Torque, that's pretty damn good I think. I don't think worth $900, but it's very tempting. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned what headers really do yet. They force each cylinder's exhaust to travel the same length before all the exhaust combines into the main tube. This is desirable for all the moving parts inside the engine. Stresses are evened out. There's a brand of header called "Hooker" that make the absolute best headers.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just from the post. I would say you are more then likely in over your head and should not even worry about headers at the moment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So...a question on the same topic. Do the people who get new exhaust systems like Magnaflow for instance or get that one with a 3" downpipe and all that jazz....do they get bigger headers as well? I can't see a big benifit to doing that if you don't also get headers...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
So...a question on the same topic. Do the people who get new exhaust systems like Magnaflow for instance or get that one with a 3" downpipe and all that jazz....do they get bigger headers as well? I can't see a big benifit to doing that if you don't also get headers...

Thoughts?
[/b]
There is no downpipe on a non-turbo car. On the N/A cars, the headers go to the cats and then catback from there. And the CPE headers are not necessarily bigger pipes, just A LOT less restrictive

Just from the post. I would say you are more then likely in over your head and should not even worry about headers at the moment.
[/b]
+1

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
though in most case the size of the primary piping is larger than stock, bigger is far from better. a search for how things work - headers might be better than me though

but every engine, every header/exhaust has a peak combo for rpm range. some for bottom end TQ, some for top end HP. you hear the term backpressure a lot, in many cases backpressure relates to exhaust velocity.

the smaller the piping, the faster the gases travel as you are cramming all that air into a small area, essentially sucking gas out of the combustion chamber. this is good for low revving engines or if you want more bottom/mid power. those smaller pipes, once you start spinning the engine, can only hold so much air (you hear the term "choke" a lot) and all the exhaust can't leave the combustion chamber fast enough, so you don't get complete burns as you don't have the fresh air to ignite.

now throw on some bigger primaries, at low rpm there is little restriction in the piping, so air moves freely, but lacks the velocity of the smaller pipe. in turn, the gases don't "suck" exhaust gasses from the chamber, hence you loose a bit of bottom/mid range compaired to smaller primaries. no rev that bitch up to 6-7k and it has just enough room to get the air out, with the right amount of velocity to suck as much gas (read fumes) possible out of the combustion chamber.

that is what goes into the design of these things. you might see primaries on some hondas that look ungodly large when comparing to that of an american muscle car that has peak hp half way through the honda powerband.

it's 1AM and i just pieced that together, forgive me if i screwed something up

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does the installation of headers affect the lifespan of the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Does the installation of headers affect the lifespan of the catalytic converter?
[/b]
Yeah, a lot of people who have headers reduce their cat's life to zero by removing it completely. :yesnod:

So long as your a/f ratio stays a bit on the rich side I believe they'll run as long as with the stock headers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people who have headers reduce their cat's life to zero by removing it completely. :yesnod:

So long as your a/f ratio stays a bit on the rich side I believe they'll run as long as with the stock headers.
[/b]
Not to be a total stickler, but there's no such thing as a "stock" header. Cars come with stock manifolds, but not headers.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
actually, check out your stock one....it's a header

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/b]
How about you just answer the question?? I didn't ask people if I was in over my head, I asked for information on something I didn't know about. Get some self esteem b*tch :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts