Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time follower and first time poster here. I am looking to buy an 04-05 Mazda6i fairly soon to replace my 99 Protege, and I was wondering something.

I want to keep my car-to-be as stock-looking as possible, so getting an aftermarket HU is not really an option at this point (trying to minimize the odds of getting my car broken into and I read some pretty bad things about the Metra kits). But I do want to be able to hook up my iPod to the stereo. i read that some 04's stereos are not compatible with ipod adapters, so i'm wondering if I can switch the factory head unit from an 04 to an 05 (I think it should be possible) or even an 06-07. Is it merely plug-and-play?

thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
703 Posts
there are still adapters available for the 03-04.

Sylfex

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I believe the iPod things will work if you do a slight mod to the headunit itself.

However, if you really want to swap the headunits, yeah, the 05 should fit fine.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.

Check that out. Cost me and other Mazda6 guy $551 shipped including iGo 8.3 nav software on SD card. Works as advertised and integrates with the factory head unit and has 4.1 preouts for your own external amps. I can get you the email address of the guy we dealt with if you'd like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just recently purchased a unit from Grom Audio.
GROM USB MP3 iPod AUX input adapter Mazda 02-08 #MAZU2 - eBay (item 380239043448 end time Jun-08-10 15:28:26 PDT)

I should be getting it in the mail today. Apparently there is a chance I have to mod the head unit, but we'll see how that goes. I'll post again once I get it going. Also bought a bluetooth audio receiver to connect to the unit so that I can use my phone to play music.

UPDATE: Got it installed, and it works great. I luckily didn't have to mod my HU (it seems some are missing a jumper or 0 ohm resistor), so I was up and running as soon as I could get the wire installed. Someone with small hands could probably even go through the glove box and plug the cable in. Ran it to my glove box so that I could have access to the unit. Paired it with a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth audio receiver, and now I can run all my media through my phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts