Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what changed, but all of the sudden when I connect my phone (iPhone XR) via bluetooth, Spotify refuses to shuffle. I can hit the shuffle button and it will stay on until I reach the end of a song, but once the song ends it'll go straight to the next song in the playlist and the shuffle indicator will turn off. This was also happening with my iPhone 6s before I replaced it last week. Anybody else seen this issue? Spotify will shuffle just fine when disconnected from the car and connected to other bluetooth speakers.

Switching to USB isn't exactly an option because the head unit will only play music from the default music app over USB.

Note: this is on a 2014 6, so I have the Mazda Connect 2 head unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of the weirdest things I've ever heard.

The bluetooth connection is more or less just an audio stream other than the small amount of data exchanged for metadata and controls, so software on your phone shouldn't really behave any different one way or another. I primarily use AA since I have a 2016 and installed the retrofit and so I haven't used the stock player in some time; but, does the stock player have a shuffle button you can select on the player itself? Generally that isn't the case, but if there is I'd check to make sure it clearly turns on at the head unit when you turn it on within Spotify.

I have no idea how the bluetooth stack is handled on iOS so I have no clue really what could be causing this.

Last second find: Hey here you go, it seems it is a weird oddity between iOS and the TomTom unit you have due to outdated firmware on bluetooth unit in your car, and it seems there was a TSB for this. You'll need to have the module replaced with a newer one (from what I skimmed it sounds like the module can't simply be updated). You may be able to get this done for free since there was a TSB, or at least a reduced cost, but its hard to say since it is a minor issue.

See the following:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Shuffle-and-Repeat-not-working/td-p/2154321

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well would you look at that! Looks like it only applies to cars with a warranty and I am definitely far outside that window, but that's good to know.

Now I have to decide if it's worth doing work in this head unit after all of the other inconveniences it has (mainly, lacking support for carplay) or if I should just go aftermarket and loose the command knob.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts