Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the new Nikon D80. So I have been messing around with HDR photography lately. Just to see different styles I can do with it. Anyways. Here are a few pictures I took earlier today. They are watermarked because I was using some trial software and I don't have the $100 yet to buy the non demo version. So it add's the watermarks.

Let me know what you think...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture quality is AWESOME! The colors look great! But, your car looks really long?
[/b]
lol, Thats how it looks. I didn't mess with the photo beyond HDR at all lol...

The only thing I really don' tlike is it made the reds a little harsh on the tailight. BUt I could change that in Photoshop if I wasn't so lazy lol..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice shots. I've done HDR before with photoshop cs2, its under File>Automate>Merge to HDR. Would that work the same with the shots from your d80? Just trying to save you some $$$..

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice shots. I've done HDR before with photoshop cs2, its under File>Automate>Merge to HDR. Would that work the same with the shots from your d80? Just trying to save you some $$$..
[/b]
Yeah. I just chose to use Photomatix because I use Photoshop 7.0. And I don't want to spend the like 649 for CS2 plus the like $60 for the Tone Mapp plugin which is probably the most important part of the HDR process.

I was kind of upset that they don't offer a plug in for anything that isn't CS2 to allow HDR though.

I didn't even know HDR existed or ever heard of it untill I baught the D80 the day. IT came with a free PopPhoto magazine and when I was reading that I came across this picture and an article about HDR. I didn't get any free magazines when I baught my D50 or D200 lol

It's probably one of the best pictures I've seen. So I was like, "Dude, I got to see what I can do with this HDR thing"

So I came across this article on their page http://www.popphoto.com/howto/3038/how-to-...nge-images.html which led me to give it a try

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you have a D200 as well?
[/b]
As of right now I have a D50, D80, and D200(Which I baught used off my neighbor who is also a Photographer for Juice Magazine which at the momet is at Christian Photo getting cleaned). I almost got the D100 untill I heard they released the D80.

I would like to get the D2x. But at the moment I have the Turbo install coming up. My wedding in April. plus I still need to buy a fisheye lense which for stupid ass reasons are ungodly expensive. I try not to get to wraped up in to this whole equipment B.S most photographers get obsessed with. I just stick with Nikon because I don't want to buy all new lens's lol

**edit** I havn't decided fully yet. But I am thinking of selling the D50 since I really have no use fo rit because the D80 is pretty much the same compact size for a secondary camera. with 16mp compared to the like 6.1mp o fthe D50. Plus the D80 is like a mix of the D100 and D70 and D200 in a way.

If I did sell it. It'd be body only for around $300 still under warrenty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As of right now I have a D50, D80, and D200(Which I baught used off my neighbor who is also a Photographer for Juice Magazine which at the momet is at Christian Photo getting cleaned). I almost got the D100 untill I heard they released the D80.

I would like to get the D2x. But at the moment I have the Turbo install coming up. My wedding in April. plus I still need to buy a fisheye lense which for stupid ass reasons are ungodly expensive. I try not to get to wraped up in to this whole equipment B.S most photographers get obsessed with. I just stick with Nikon because I don't want to buy all new lens's lol
**edit** I havn't decided fully yet. But I am thinking of selling the D50 since I really have no use fo rit because the D80 is pretty much the same compact size for a secondary camera. with 16mp compared to the like 6.1mp o fthe D50. Plus the D80 is like a mix of the D100 and D70 and D200 in a way.

If I did sell it. It'd be body only for around $300 still under warrenty.
[/b]
Well, I don't think your car scenes benefit all that much from this technique. These are shot with the sun to your back and low in the sky. Not an HDR situation. But only you have the before and after results to compare. The D80 is 10 megapixels, based off the D200 in a compact form. The D100 is an old discontinued model. I'd suggest instead of 3 or 4 camera bodies, you could just learn to use the D80 and buy that must have fisheye with the money you saved.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**edit**.

I rambled on there. So I deleted it lol. Sorry. Anyways. Trust me. If I could get away with only 1 body. I would LOVE too. I am FAR from rich. I am poor. when I buy something new. I am usually hurting cash wise, untill a royalty comes in. That or my paychecks is here.

Technically. Most photographers have a crapload of body's. and many non SLR's as well. I chose to have 2. (Technically 3 right at the moment). I have the D50 and the D200. Those 2 where used. The D200 Was my main focus camerea. For when I whent out SOULY for the purpose to get exposures. And I'd take the D50 as my reserve. BUT. I have no want to cary around the big ass D200 with everything else. But most of the time. That is when you find the best exposure's. Those "on the fly, I didn't expect it" times. So I have the D50 because: It's WAY smaller and lighter. Makes it easier to just cary with me at all times so I don't miss anything I can use.

Then I heard they realeased the D80. FAr superior to the D50. it's a mix of the D100 and D200. With many aspects of even the D2x built in to it. I twill never replace any of those camera's, No. It is meant to replace the D70. At a much lower costs in price. So I opted to go with the D80 to replace the D50. Since I could produce much larger quality prints off of it. just like with the D200. Plus have all of the options of the bigger camerea's. But still not lose the compactness The D50 offers me for carrying everywhere and to get in to area's to photograph that I may not be able to fit the bigger D200 in to.

Also. I need mor then one as back up. Like today I would not have gotten new photo's to add to stock since the D200 is getting cleaned. They ar eclosed on Sunday. I took it in late Last night. So I'd be stuck waiting till Monday to take what I needed to get done. So I had my reserve. I cary VERY VERY light compared to most photographer that do this as income. Trust me. I am veryly making due the way it is with what I have too. But I never want to make photography my full job. Since that means I have to shoot WHAT the company wants. HOW it wants. not what i want. HOW I want.

The D100 isn't discontinued either by the way. It's just way in the back since there are other camera's that beat it for the same price. Even thoug hyou can't beat the price of like $400 with lense for the D100 right now.

As far as equipment goe's. I will admit. I sort of break the rules. I hate this whole "You use Nikon, You MUST use only Nikkor lesnes" screw that. I use a FEW nikkor's. I use my wideangle Nikkor the most. But I own more Sigma and Tamron then any other brand. Why?. Not because I care about this What Equipment I have thing that mos tphotographers obsess over. But because I just want what will do what I WANT it to do. How I want it done. If someone looks down on me for using Tamron while they spend 12 grand on their lovely Nikkor Telephoto. Fuckem . I am getting just as good. if not, better exposures then they are. and I saved a few grand. Trust me. I go as cheap as I can. Within limits. There are som ethings even I won't use to save money on. Like certain Sigma lenses SUCK terribly.

IRONY. I deleted the last post to re-write it. Since I rambled so much. Just to ramble on even more. lol.. I'm sorry guys. I just wanted to explain WHY i have more then one body. That way no-one thaught I was some idiot with "more money then I know what to do with"as it was said earlier in smoeones post, before it got edited..

To be honest. I bet a Telemarketer bring in more yearly then me lol.

As for the picture. Yeah I know. The color is way wierd on it, Mainly becasue you are taking the sky and clouds. They are nice and blue. with white fluffy cloudes. Gives off that Spring/Summer feel. Then you look down and you have the tree's with their Orange and yellow leaves, Dying. Give it that Fall feel. Which is COunter reacting with the summer sky feel. Then you have the sunlight giving off an orange warm feel. While the tree's gives off a cold fall feel. A bunch of stuff all together make the colors WAY screwey looking. These where more of me messing around with HDR for the first time ever. (Why I am using a demo version of the program still). I have a LONG way to go before I master anything with it or get good. As of right now I am just working out getting familiar with everything. what settings work for what light and shots. so on. This was nothing more then me messing around. and I wanted to post it. I hope to eventually get an image to come out like the other one I posted above. For right now. I will mess with it every now and then untill while I am bored at home. Plus I was more concentrated on the clouds over anything. I loved how the sky came out. The rest was just there lol.

ROCKSTEADY. I will shoot you a pm in the next few days if I do decide to sell it. I will give you first dibs. I can't make any promises though. As it's been going a thing I've been mentally arguing with the past few days on if I want to sell it. Or just keep it to have a third reserve in case sitting off in the tote.

·
Registered
799 Posts
no need to explain, I have a D70 which I love but want the D200, but I will sell my D70 first to buy the D200 ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah. I just chose to use Photomatix because I use Photoshop 7.0. And I don't want to spend the like 649 for CS2 plus the like $60 for the Tone Mapp plugin which is probably the most important part of the HDR process.

I was kind of upset that they don't offer a plug in for anything that isn't CS2 to allow HDR though.

I didn't even know HDR existed or ever heard of it untill I baught the D80 the day. IT came with a free PopPhoto magazine and when I was reading that I came across this picture and an article about HDR. I didn't get any free magazines when I baught my D50 or D200 lol

It's probably one of the best pictures I've seen. So I was like, "Dude, I got to see what I can do with this HDR thing"

So I came across this article on their page http://www.popphoto.com/howto/3038/how-to-...nge-images.html which led me to give it a try
[/b]

Woot for the Battery in Charleston, SC. I've taken many a girl there and its always the way to go! sorry, i just had to add that. i love the pictures man. i wish i had a camera that actually took good pictures.

·
Registered
978 Posts
if it's still available, I'd be very interested in buying your d50. i remember when you posted pics a few months back, and they are really good. looks like you've got some really good gear...just a bit jealous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts