Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new Hawk HPS pads on all corners for about 300 miles now. I love them and they stop the car real quick compared to the OEM pads + there is almost no brake dust. The problem that I have with them is that they squeel like crazy once they heat up during slower stops (anything under 40mph-> stop). It is the kind of squeel that makes people want to cover their ears when I stop at a light. Has anyone else had this? Is this the trade off that I have to live with for better stopping power? Any remedies?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, I'm doing this as a preventative measure. I need to put on some new pads (I'm at 40K+ miles). I've got my Porterfields in the garage, but I don't want to deal with squeeling, so last night I put in my order with RPM for new Rotora rotors.

I also picked up some CRC disk brake quiet just in case.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, mine still squeel like crazy when they heat up

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know what, I had this problem before also, On a 98 Mustang. I was told by a mechanic that the part that
was squeeling was the metal guide riveted to the back of the pad or the back of the pad itself

best solution is to apply 3 coats of premetex blue anti-squeal coating to the back side of the
pads prior to installation, waiting at least 24 hours between coats, and let them dry for at least a week, if possible. It makes the fit tighter but stabilizes some pad warble.

That's my plan before I install my Hawk HPS front pads. Cause the last DIY brake job I did on my Mustang, yeah they squeeled like a MTA city bus, how annoying.

·
Registered
297 Posts
since we're talking about brake and rotors...I recently replaced my rotor and brakes with Rotora slotted and Hawk brake pad...for some reason, after driving for awhile, when you stop, you have this stinking smell on my rotor...has anyone ever encountered this?...I mean you can't even put your nose close to it just to check it out- the smell like a septic tank...I know its brand new but I've replaced like 3 weeks ago...

·
Registered
137 Posts
permatex - even - doh - they make everything

smelly ? referring to the bedding in link a few posts up, this sounds like outgassing and a somewhat necessary element.

I plan on doing the bedding in routine once I get mine installed in a month or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Grey Goose
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing