Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on my 05 Mazda 6. I want to go ahead and get some headers (exhaust) but I have two questions. first I dont live in a state that test emissions but is there a header out there that doesnt light a CEL when installed and secondly how are the noise levels with the headers installed I have a wife and I dont want something to obnoxios. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well, I have Magnaflows, CPE intake and their headers. The sound is not bad, even on the highway, the drone is nearly the same as it was before the headers had been installed. My wife isn't bothered by the noise, as she has Magnaflows, w/o headers.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
And the CPE headers do not cause a CEL. The only issue right now is that they are not shipping with the o2 sensor extensions. Once they get the right ones, there will guaranteed to be NO CEL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the CPE headers do not cause a CEL. The only issue right now is that they are not shipping with the o2 sensor extensions. Once they get the right ones, there will guaranteed to be NO CEL
[/b]
Any word on when those headers will ship with O2 extensions and in the mean time what has everybody been doing when they install those headers. Probaly just not reinstalling that O2 sensor.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
you have to install the sensor. Just not plugging it back in. Some have had CELs because of it, some have not.

ETA on the right wires is about 1 month

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine are installed with the O2 sensor wires cut and extended, no CEL's and no issues. I also have the cats and the magnaflow catback with resonator. I love the sound, and it's really not that much louder than the 'flow's were before the headers got here.

Very happy!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yup mines setup the same way as onewheel.. The o2 sensors are installed just bought wire i think its 18 or 20 gauge i forget.. but just cut the o2 sensor wire and extended it with the wires i bought and there was no problem.. At first i had a cel but its to be expected until the computer gets used to it. Since the wire was extended so far there will be more voltage drop in that line than the computer is used to.. My cel went away and i havent had it since.. I do have the cats on my y pipe but ill be getting the offroad y pipe shortly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup mines setup the same way as onewheel.. The o2 sensors are installed just bought wire i think its 18 or 20 gauge i forget.. but just cut the o2 sensor wire and extended it with the wires i bought and there was no problem.. At first i had a cel but its to be expected until the computer gets used to it. Since the wire was extended so far there will be more voltage drop in that line than the computer is used to.. My cel went away and i havent had it since.. I do have the cats on my y pipe but ill be getting the offroad y pipe shortly.
[/b]
Im a little confused by the CP-E site but does there long tube system remove both the pre cats and main cat's or just the pre cats?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
ok the pre cats are built in to the stock headers... with the long tube headers the pre cats are completely removed... Now you can opt for a y pipe with cats on it or a y pipe without cats.. if you choose a y pipe without cats you are completely catless.. does that make sense now?

·
Registered
456 Posts
anyone with a nice clip of the set up? i wanna hear the difference with the cpe headers!!! lol i know the before and after with my tbird was night n day much more agressive, louder and just plain old mean!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
[/b]
Same here, 20 guage wire and no more CELS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok the pre cats are built in to the stock headers... with the long tube headers the pre cats are completely removed... Now you can opt for a y pipe with cats on it or a y pipe without cats.. if you choose a y pipe without cats you are completely catless.. does that make sense now?
[/b]
Yes that does but now I have a new question. Is the stock Y-pipe compatiable with the CP-E header's or not?
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing