Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you lucky souls who have already GOT the hatchback version of the 6, what do you like about the Hatch that made you choose it over the Sedan?

From what I have seen, there is almost no discernible difference when viewing the car from the outside. They look almost identical, except the sedan has a traditional trunk and the hatch has a, well, a hatchback! :D

I guess I'd like to hear from both sides. For those who chose a Sedan, why did you NOT want a hatchback? And vice-versa for those who chose or are GOING to get a Hatchback when they're available?

I'm waiting for the Hatchback to be released, but gosh it's going to be difficult to wait that long if the Dec '03/Jan '04 date is accurate. I keep telling myself to just stick it out - I don't NEED a new car RIGHT NOW, so I can wait. That I want to wait for the Hatch so I can at LEAST compare them side-by-side and compare the differences, etc. But since they don't LOOK all that different from one another (right?); this little thought of "just buy one NOW and get the sedan!" keeps trying to infiltrate my brain. :D

So I'd like to hear YOUR arguments as to why you chose what you did. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Hatchback vs. Sedan style

My first choice, by a longshot, would be the hatch. It looks better (ever so slightly); and the practicallity of a hatch and the karakuri seats are unsurpassed. Unfortunately, as most of the members of this board have already heard my moans, when we are ready to buy a car, we will buy a car. We do not have the luxury of waiting another 8 months.

Given the choice, I'd take the hatch in an instant. But I won't.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The karakuri seats involve a mechanism where you simply pull (or is it push?) a release in the trunk, and the rear seats fold flat, giving you a large, flat area to pile your toys on.

·
Registered
526 Posts

On the hatch and wagon, the rear seat backs not only fold down, but the seat bottoms literally move down into the floor.

The result is as close to a perfectly flat cargo area.

If they were both available, I'd probably take the hatch. However, the more I look at the pictures, the less and less I like the lines of the hatch. Of course - few pictures do have done justice to this car, so I could easily be wrong.

A hatch would be nice - but I can think of very few if any time I was prevented from carrying something I wanted to with my Stratus and it's fold down seats. I used that car for everything - including carrying a 4'x8' sheet of plywood home IN the car and all sorts of other abnormal hauling. Karakuri seats wouldn't have helped and neither would the hatch. I couldn't believe I could do things like that with a sedan. Only a couple of times did I need a pick-up, and no hatch would have helped at those times.

Ask yourself - are you in love with the looks, and how much will you actually need use of the extra space?

Convenient? Absolutely. Necessary? Well..... You're going to be able to carry taller things and gain some cargo space and loading will surely be a bit easier. But most days I suspect you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I really wanted the hatch. I like the looks better, I like going agaist the grain in an America where hatch is a dirty word and I like the practicality that a hatch offers: it's like having a mini-wagon. But I simply couldn't wait: I needed a new car and needed one now. The trade off in all of the above factors is slight, but still, if you want the hatch and don't need a car right now, hold off until it's available.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Reufus is right in the aspect that the hatch has no more storage space than the sedan, in fact, it's ever-so-slightly less. But to me, the convenience of the hatch itself is reason enough - removable rear deck and the much larger opening makes loading easier, even if you can't fit more.

I like hatches.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Add me to the list of folks waiting for a hatch in N.A. I'd be downsizing from an SUV to a hatch, so the practicality is a must. Just think of all the furniture and large items that can be hauled. That and I'm an ice hockey goaltender with a huge equipment bag. I'm waiting until '03-'04.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I can barely tell them apart and have confused them at first glance a few times, even though I know what to look for. If it is looks you are going for I would just get the Sedan. Unless you want the full body kit.

without body kit - sedan looks a bit more athletic and the hatch looks a bit more european
with body kit - the hatch looks noticably better

·
Registered
119 Posts

Saw my first contrail luxury sedan in the metal. I almost turned it was THAT nice.
Still like my hatch though. There is a "bed" in the back I can fit in with seats folded way flat, even @193cms.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatchback vs. Sedan style'

Originally posted by applejax

Yes.  While similar, the karakuri seats fold flat, while the sedans seats fold almost-flat.[/b]
Flat is a matter of opinion. The surface isn't water level flat. It goes slighty uphill at the edge of the seats.

And oh...Karakuri seats are pull, not push...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Hatchback vs. Sedan style'

a thing to consider I guess is stereo equipment. On a hatch typically the rear is visable through the rear window where in a sedan the trunk hides whatever is well in the trunk. If you are considering a big stereo system in the trunk consider theft as people like to peep in windows.

I like hatch better although more I look at sedan its nice too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Hatchback vs. Sedan style'

I think that there's a noticable (if not significant) difference in styling between the sedan and hatchback. Sure, not so much toward the front, but more so toward the back. If you look at both from the side, the rear bumper of the sedan noticeably sticks out much more than the hatchback. That might partly be because of the hatchback's roofline toward the back. The rear window seems to be extended a little longer forcing the back out further, which helps to keep the bumper from looking as frumpy (if that's a word) as it does on the sedan.

Also, it's a small difference, but the antenna on the roof is in a slightly different position on the hatchback than it is on the sedan.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatchback vs. Sedan style'

Originally posted by BadBadNeil

a thing to consider I guess is stereo equipment. On a hatch typically the rear is visable through the rear window where in a sedan the trunk hides whatever is well in the trunk. If you are considering a big stereo system in the trunk consider theft as people like to peep in windows.

I like hatch better although more I look at sedan its nice too.[/b]
BUT...hatches have better acoustics. :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.