Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But then I realized it would be even easier than for the sedans!

What you need:
1. Spool of wire, I used 16 AWG as I had some lying around.
2. Wire stripper or other method for stripping wire.
3a. Soldering gear (iron and metal)
3b. Wire taps.
4. Electrical tape.
5. 10mm wrench (for the battery terminal)
6. About 20 mins (I didn't time it, its probably less for most)

You can do either 2 and 3a. or 3b. My instructions use 2. and 3a. though the taps are probably easier.

Step 1. Dissconnect your negative battery cable. Remove the covers over the three lights (2 outside and 1 inside) on the hatch. They may feel like they don't wanna budge, put just pull hard and they will.

Step 2. Remove a small section of wire. I couldn't find my wire strippers so I used my hobby knife skills. Becareful if using a hobby knife, they are very fiddly with wires and you should be used to working with small objects to avoid cutting yourself!

Step 3. Run a wire from the center hole to each side hole, this is easy as there is plenty of room between the plastic and the hatch lid. Wrap the stripped end in the center hole around the bare section of wire. Push the wire in to the open slot on the tail light connector as seen in this borrowed picture:

Step 4. Solder the wires to make sure they don't come loose and wrap them in electrical tape. Put the covers back on, reconnect the battery. Voila!

Note: The inner 3 lights may look slightly dimmer compared to the outer two. Its more visible if you're looking during the day, but I don't think its anywhere close enough to warrant not doing it. The camera didn't pic up the outter lights that well in that picture, I'll see if I can get a picture of it further out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reading Topic: Hatchback Tail Light Mod

so is this to make the rear fogs come on when you brake?

In the UK thats illegal, so I wont be doing this mod....

good guide though.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Eh whatever floats your boat Tim :) I just used what I have around the garage.

Nigel... rear fogs? What are these rear fogs you speak of, all this mod does it have both big red circles light up when you brake instead of just the outside ones. When your headlights are on, the inner red circles are lit up but dim, I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal to make them get brighter when you brake. What are they going to cite you for, "excess saftey measures - too many brake lights"?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatchback Tail Light Mod'

Originally posted by timba24

lol colin johnny and I did this to my car at the BBQ he used those wire clamp tap type things that you just clamp on much easier than stripping the wires

MUCH easier. To bad I didnt use them :sarc I just got done with it, and the inner 2 are REALLY dimm in the day, you can see the wire lit up, and it reflects but it doesnt compare to the outter ones. Ill have to see tonight if it looks right.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

T-taps are awsome. that way you aviod that ball of electrical tape =)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah I thought it looked really dim during the day, but at night it evens out much more, atleast mine did.

·
Registered
675 Posts

umm, yea so my cruise control doesnt work anymore now. WTF????

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hmm, 6-s-5door, you didn't touch anything to do with cruise control (or shouldn't have) so :huh

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Colin,

the European cars have one inner fog light instead of two additional rear lights. One light isn't used.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

Hmm, 6-s-5door, you didn't touch anything to do with cruise control (or shouldn't have) so :huh
Well a friend and I looked to night to see what was up. I had him push the brake lights so I could see if it was working and I noticed something looked funny. After pondering for a min I realized that the third brake light stayed on constatly. And on top of that I noticed that the outer brake lights were on to, when the pedal was not being pushed. Also with the car turned off, if I hit my brake lights all the parking lights (front and back) came on. So wtf, did I do it wrong? I took the green wire from the third light, and ran a wire to the green wires on the two side light. Apparently thats not right cuz its shortin somethin. And the cruise wouldnt work cuz it thought my brakes were on all the time, which the lights WERE on, just not the brakes.

So I have been riding around all day with my brake light on all the time looking like a jack ass.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

OOO shit. Damn I completely forgot... Kinda sassumed I gues everyone had read the original brake light mod. On the brakelights, there are 3 holes, one has a green wire going into it, the other a black wire, the third is empty. The wire run from the 3rd brake light goes into the empty slot. Wow, really sorry i forgot that piece, I'll get a picture and amend my write up later tonight.

Oh and Thorsten, I still don't get what you mean about these rear fogs... I looked at your tail lights and they look the same, mind snapping a picture and lableing things for me?

·
Registered
675 Posts

DOH! BAH! ok, yea guess I shoulda read that first. A pic isnt necessary, I think I know what your talking about. How do you have it in the hole so that it will stay?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Hatchback Tail Light Mod

I just twisted the wire nice and tight and shoved it in the hole, it stays pretty well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
uhhh sry but im still kinda confused ... what did you do to the left and right sides? and what wire did you stick into the third hole of the brakelights? :unsure: :huh:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Colin,

Regarding rear fog lights and the way the European cars taillights work, maybe this will clear it up. Labeling the red lights from left to right, 1, 2, 3 & 4:

1 - Taillight and brake light

2 - Rear fog light (only comes on when rear fog light switch is activated, has same intensity as a brake light)

3 - Dummy light (does not light at all)

4 - Taillight and brake light

In the UK, because the driver is on the right (which is the side the rear fog light is on), swap 2 & 3.

Make sense?

crzygosu87, in the US, your brake lights are only the outside red lights. The mod gremlyn made was for all four to light when the brake is applied.

·
Registered
247 Posts
o yeah i understand that but what did you have to do in the left and right side wiring to get it to work again?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts