Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any word on when the hatchback will be available in Canada. From what I have heard so far the sedan will be first and there may be some delay on introducing the hatchback. Also, will the Canadian cars be coming from the Japan plant or from the U.S. I currently have a 97 Millenia S which was made in the Japan plant that is switching to Mazda6 production and thought perhaps they would continue to import from there. I definitely am looking at trading to the hatchback with the six cylinder and 5 speed automatic. Apologies to the purists but the wife can't use a standard.
Also curious as to the pricing. I have heard that the starting price may be in line with the current 626 but will the upper price be in line with the current 626 ES.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I don't know a lot of details, but currently I have a Mazda Protege, and there is a growing club here in Vancouver. Anyways we had a big meeting at one of the dealerships here, and that question came up as to where the cars are going to be coming from, and the rep assurred us that the cars will be coming from Japan. I guess you can only tell once you actually look at the tag on the car.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not knocking production from the U.S. It's just that I read in one of the articles that the U.S. plant would be concentrating on sedan models and that the hatchback might not be introduced before 03. I was hoping that the Canadian models would come from the plant in Hofu and that they would include hatchbacks this fall.
My family is pretty well a Mazda family. My oldest son has a Protege. The other son has a MX-3 Precidia he bought because he liked mine so much. Actually gave up a Toyota MR-2 which he said was just too noisy and rough compared to the Precidia. My wife drives a 91 323 hatchback which has never cost me more than a muffler and brakes. My Millenia has been great but I would like to get back to something a little sportier. The Mazda6 appears to be just what I am looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
same here, got a Mazda family here.

Currently we have a '99 LX Protege "Touring", '98 4x4 MPV "Sports", and a '01 DX Tribute (didn't get the V6 cuz its my sisters, and she drives about 60 km a day)...

We also had a B2000 before the Tribute as well....

Personally I think Mazda's rock. I love my Protege, and my dad's MPV is WAY better than most of the 4x4 vehicles I've driven out there. I took my bro's '01 Pathfinder out in the snow, and I was all over the road...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know about whether or not it'll be built in Japan or US, but I believe that the pricing will go from a low end 626 all the way up to the Millenia. Since the Millenia will also be replaced by the Mazda6 (this is from a guy who works at Mazda). Also, he tells me Mazda Canada pretty much has no say in anything, as Mazda USA makes all the big decisions as to what we get and stuff.

Look at the US their Protegé5 has Sport Automatic, while we only still have the regular Automatic.

I also hear that the Mazda6 has a Sport Automatic, so hopefully that'll come over here too.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sorry folks, but I'm pretty sure all North American vehicles will be coming from the Flat Rock, MI plant. Pricing for the Japanese models is already out, and at today's exchange the sedan with 2.3l starts at just under $17,000. The Sport and Wagon start at about $18,000. Job one for the Japanese plant in Hiroshima(?) was back in February. Job one in Flat Rock will be in July. They will produce Sedans until the official release (expected anywhere from November to January) then switch to Sports. Sports should be released next spring. Wagon won't be until next fall.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If I were to buy one it would be the Sport model (5 Door).....

But from a business standpoint, we need to get our hands on the first 6 platform to hit the market so we can get parts out as quickly as possible. Since the Wagon and Sport are the same engine, tranny, and suspension wise (I think) then if we get parts out for the Sedan, then they will also work with the other two models.....

Maybe we can find a 6 owners in the Los Angeles area that will let us use their car to develop parts on in return for free versions of those parts.????? we can only hope....

Nikolas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts