Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some initial impressions of the 6 first: I like that the 6 doesn't (at least from the pictures) look huge. Quite frankly, after driving a Civic for the entirety of my driving career, I'm scared to say I'm actually looking at a midsize car. Second, I don't have any guarantee of actually getting this car - it might be a little out of my price range. But at any rate, I guess I'll see.

What I was wondering was what the differences actually were between the hatch and the sedan (hence the subject heading). Besides the obvious utility of the hatch and the length of the sedan, what other differences migth separate the two? I remember reading on the Edmunds Mazda 6 discussion that the sedan lacks the adjustable rear headrests although the hatch doesn't...is this verified? Will the sedan and wagon also have the red tailights when it reaches American shores? Or is the car pretty much the same in different packaging?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Wstar5721


            Some initial impressions of the 6 first:  I like that the 6 doesn't (at least from the pictures) look huge.  Quite frankly, after driving a Civic for the entirety of my driving career, I'm scared to say I'm actually looking at a midsize car.  Second, I don't have any guarantee of actually getting this car - it might be a little out of my price range.  But at any rate, I guess I'll see.

What I was wondering was what the differences actually were between the hatch and the sedan (hence the subject heading).  Besides the obvious utility of the hatch and the length of the sedan, what other differences migth separate the two?  I remember reading on the Edmunds Mazda 6 discussion that the sedan lacks the adjustable rear headrests although the hatch doesn't...is this verified?  Will the sedan and wagon also have the red tailights when it reaches American shores?  Or is the car pretty much the same in different packaging?[/b]
No, the 6 isn't a huge car, but it feels quite a lot bigger than the 626, at least on the inside. On the outside, it measures about the same.

There's really not much difference between the hatch and the sedan. Space is one thing, the brake light placed in the rear window on the sedan is integrated in the body on the hatch. Headrests looks the same to me, but I have on the other hand not been able to get inside of a hatch (yet, I might add. I've ordered one, due in october).

Obviously Mazda's american people have decided that the red taillights is the choice for the american public. So, initially at least, that will be what you get. But I'm quite confident that you can have it with the clear ones also if you wish. If you put it this way: "I want the clear taillights, or there will be no deal", I'm sure they'll find a way to help you... The production cost and shipping for an extra set of taillights is -uhmmm- maybe 10 bucks??

Don't know if this has helped you any. But I hope so.

/Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

There's been some confusion about the folding mechanism of the back seats. Some people claim that there's no Karakuri Smart Fold back seats in sedan and they're right. The sedan has the same 40/60 rear seatback fold-down mechanism with handles in the trunk. However, when folding Karakuri seats, they lower a bit to allow for an even surface of the cargo area, while in sedan you only fold down the back of the seat. The difference is hardly noticeable but might become vital in some circumstances.

BTW, the highly praised ease of use with no need to remove headrests is not so evident in reality. If you're any taller than 5' then the front seats, being in normal position, prevent the back of the rear seat from folding all the way down and you still have to move the front seat(s) to complete the task.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard

BTW, the highly praised ease of use with no need to remove headrests is not so evident in reality. If you're any taller than 5' then the front seats, being in normal position, prevent the back of the rear seat from folding all the way down and you still have to move the front seat(s) to complete the task.[/b]
It takes a bit of the charm away, doesn't it? I mean - if the Karakuri doesn't work in reallity, won't we start thinking about Harakiri??

LOL

/Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

A question for the ones who allready has his 6 or have seen him at close:

My mom drives a Mazda Premacy. She really fancy's the space and offcourse the oppertunity to take out all of the seats. And because the car is quite high, we can take a lot of things with us. But I was wondering if the diverence between de Mazda6 Sport and Premacy is that big

I saw that the 6 sedan had a very deep trunk (deeper than the Premacy); and the 6 Sport has a fifth door and the handy Karakuri seats. But you can't pack the car full as high as in the Premacy. What I mean is; my mother wants a lot of space, and she (and I) thinks that the 6 Sport can't measure with the Premacy. Is that true or isn't there such a big diverence?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by MattFast


            A question for the ones who allready has his 6 or have seen him at close:

My mom drives a Mazda Premacy. She really fancy's the space and offcourse the oppertunity to take out all of the seats. And because the car is quite high, we can take a lot of things with us. But I was wondering if the diverence between de Mazda6 Sport and Premacy is that big

I saw that the 6 sedan had a very deep trunk (deeper than the Premacy); and the 6 Sport has a fifth door and the handy Karakuri seats. But you can't pack the car full as high as in the Premacy. What I mean is; my mother wants a lot of space, and she (and I) thinks that the 6 Sport can't measure with the Premacy. Is that true or isn't there such a big diverence?[/b]
The Premacy is bigger, no doubt about that. But when it comes to loading a car, it's not only a question about volume. It is also very much about the size of the trunk opening.

There is really only one good recommendation: you must see it live, and compare the vehicle's actual size to how you're about to use it.

The Premacy is more multi-purpose than the 6. But the hatch is flexible enough for me and my wife, we need to move a perambulator around, shop and stuff.

/Steve

PS. And also remember: design rules over function, everytime!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
PS. And also remember: design rules over function, everytime[/b]
Duh..:D We bought the Premacy for is function and desing haha. Thanks for your reply. The Premacy has to go to the dealer not far from now, so than we figure it all out
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by kenoka


            Matt, if she needs that much space, what about the wagon?[/b]
Yes, that would be an idea. And it's not as boring either. It's really quite sexy for a wagon. And roomy too (not much bigger than the Sedan in volume, but in loading hight).

/Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Matt, if she needs that much space, what about the wagon?[/b]
Hm....you've got a point there...damn! :p Oke, the SportBreak looks good too, but I'm in love with the Sport, so...

But it might take a while before she'll buy a new car. The Premacy has driven only 40.000km...and the car is from 9 november '99. But she also like the 6 Sport very much. The other day she said she reather won't take a testdrive, because she's afraid that she'll fall in love with the car haha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by MattFast


            QUOTE
Matt, if she needs that much space, what about the wagon?[/b]
Hm....you've got a point there...damn! :p Oke, the SportBreak looks good too, but I'm in love with the Sport, so...

But it might take a while before she'll buy a new car. The Premacy has driven only 40.000km...and the car is from 9 november '99. But she also like the 6 Sport very much. The other day she said she reather won't take a testdrive, because she's afraid that she'll fall in love with the car haha[/b][/quote]

You gotta convince her to take the test drive. Lure her there, and they'll reel her in... Like they did with me. Remember, I only went to the dealer to find out how to disconnect the airbag for the child seat... See what happened to me... LOL

If she's confused, tell her that "Steve on the MazdaAtenza.com forum is going for the 6. His 626 is from june -99, and has run 65000 km, and he says it's a good time to trade when the car is three years old. If you wait too long, you may have to live with the car until it wears out..."

It's at least worth a shot.

/Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
If she's confused, tell her that "Steve on the MazdaAtenza.com forum is going for the 6. His 626 is from june -99, and has run 65000 km, and he says it's a good time to trade when the car is three years old. If you wait too long, you may have to live with the car until it wears out..."[/b]
I always say that to her (not about you offcourse haha). This going too sound really stupid, but I'm used to that my parents buy a new car every 3/4 years. But since my father died in '97 my mom says she will drive longer with her cars

But the opposit happend in '99. Our 626 was from '96 and she did buy a new car after 3 days. But that was because the Premacy was so handy. I really hate this!

Everybody; mail to my mom ([email protected]) that she must buy or testdrive a Mazda6!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

You realize you've just doomed your mom to a merciless bombardment of spam. What a bad son! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by MattFast


            QUOTE
If she's confused, tell her that "Steve on the MazdaAtenza.com forum is going for the 6. His 626 is from june -99, and has run 65000 km, and he says it's a good time to trade when the car is three years old. If you wait too long, you may have to live with the car until it wears out..."[/b]
I always say that to her (not about you offcourse haha). This going too sound really stupid, but I'm used to that my parents buy a new car every 3/4 years. But since my father died in '97 my mom says she will drive longer with her cars

But the opposit happend in '99. Our 626 was from '96 and she did buy a new car after 3 days. But that was because the Premacy was so handy. I really hate this!

Everybody; mail to my mom ([email protected]il.com) that she must buy or testdrive a Mazda6!! :p [/b][/quote]

You must understand that we will do nothing of the kind. If we did, we'd probably doom you to eternal life (hell) without a Mazda. And we wouldn't wish that to happen even to our worst enemies...

I suggest you start figuring out your defence speach as your mother's mailbox starts getting mailbombed... ;) (Suggestion: I'm sorry, mom, I was gonna give them my mail address, but accidentaly gave them yours...)

Sorry to hear about your father, BTW. Hope you get to keep your mom for a very long time instead.

/Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard

BTW, the highly praised ease of use with no need to remove headrests is not so evident in reality. If you're any taller than 5' then the front seats, being in normal position, prevent the back of the rear seat from folding all the way down and you still have to move the front seat(s) to complete the task.[/b]
Haha. Funny thing is that I'm right there at the 5' mark. I know, I'm terribly short - which is why one of the first things I looked for on the 6 was how the seats can move - I'm notorious for sitting close to the wheel... =D However, I admit that it must be an inconvenience that in order to have the seats folded down that you'd have to scoot up to drive. Maybe Mazda decided to integrate the headrests in the NA version in order to allow for more driver room (compensating for a physically larger market)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

An interesting thought. I don't know that we're much taller on average than Europeans though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard

BTW, the highly praised ease of use with no need to remove headrests is not so evident in reality. If you're any taller than 5' then the front seats, being in normal position, prevent the back of the rear seat from folding all the way down and you still have to move the front seat(s) to complete the task.[/b]
Just to illustrate the point.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard


            QUOTE
Originally posted by Sigvard

BTW, the highly praised ease of use with no need to remove headrests is not so evident in reality. If you're any taller than 5' then the front seats, being in normal position, prevent the back of the rear seat from folding all the way down and you still have to move the front seat(s) to complete the task.[/b]
Just to illustrate the point.

[/b][/quote]

That's just like in my present 626...<g>
:sarc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch v. Sedan'

QUOTE
Originally posted by applejax


            QUOTE
When the headrests are removed, does the fold down sit flat? I recall hearing that the super-cool mechanism and flat fold downs was only for the hatch.[/b][/quote]
The hatch and the wagon. The sedan (like Sigvards) does not have this.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top