Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between a Sedan and a Hatch i was originally going for a sedan for many reasons: such as Hatches are kind of unfamiliar here, but again the M6 Hatch doesn't look much deferent than the sedan and it's Shape is beginning to grow on me!

The thing is here is that one of the salesmen told me that the hatch is more prone to wind/road noise and tailgate shake than the sedan, is that true?

Also Does the Hatch have the same structural integrity as the sedan?

I'd really appreciate your input here
Thanks

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Hatch or Sedan!!!

I'd like to address the second question if I may, Bob.

Technically hatches are not as rigid as sedans. Will you feel it? My guess is no. Not on the '6, at least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The reason I asked, was that rented 6 sedan I currently have is so rigid compared to any thing in it's class, and i have no doubt that its a big part of it's germanic charecter that i like!
And you are right applejax i'm mostly intrested in real world deferences not in theory, so the question is still out thier espicially to the Hatch owners or better yet to ones who tried both!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Well, I have tried all three kinds - sedan, hatch and wagon. There is no difference in handling and rigidity. Road noise is slightly higher in the hatch, and the wagon has even a bit more than that. But nothing worth mentioning.

What is a bit disturbing with hatches/wagons is if you have cargo in the rear that you didn't tie, then you will hear it roll around in there...

Anyway, I have the hatch. It's perfect. There is no tailgate shake as long as you just close it properly. I've known Mazda hatches for many years. There are no such problems.

Either way you win. Choose the one that appeals most to you or is most practical to you. I did - and got the hatch.

I love it. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts

A sedan is always more rigid and quieter, however with the 6 the difference seems minimal.

Laying the seats down is more useful than it seems. I use my 323 in this way all the time.

I ordered a Sedan, I can barely tell the difference and the Hatch is $1000 (australian$) more, plus I already have the 323 hatch.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch or Sedan!!!'

Originally posted by solarbear

A sedan is always more rigid and quieter, however with the 6 the difference seems minimal.

Laying the seats down is more useful than it seems.  I use my 323 in this way all the time.

I ordered a Sedan, I can barely tell the difference and the Hatch is $1000 (australian$) more, plus I already have the 323 hatch.[/b]
It all depends on where the car earns it rigidity. The 6 earns it with its platform - one of the stiffest (if not THE stiffest) on the market. The cross-bar in the sedan adds little or less to rigidity. If there is a difference, you can't feel it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts