Mazda 6 Forums banner

Hatch lift cyls

7K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  petzen 
#1 ·
Hello All! I need to replace the lift cylinders in my 2005 6 hatchback. The factory cylinders were replaced on warranty and the replacements, made by Stabilus didn't last much longer. They are labeled R & L and have separate part numbers. Onlinemazdaparts.com seems to have different parts for right and left and for cars with & without a spoiler. Stabilus' web site has only one part #, 018006. Monroe also has only one #, 901518. Since the dealer parts haven't given me much luck, does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks very much!

#6 ·
They are really not that expensive to replace. I replaced mine a year ago with Monroe replacements and they are *much* better than the stock Stabilus ones.

The Stabilus ones would squeel in the winter. The Monroe Max Lift ones do not, and are super strong, and have not failed me, even at -9 celcius.

Monroe Max Lift Hatchback Lifts

#7 ·
Thanks, Monroe it is. I'll let you know how they work but the real answer won't come until next winter, at least.
BTW I was a member awhile back but I seem to have been canceled, probably for not signing on. Before the 2005 6, I had a 95 626 which was flooded. Not seriously, only problem was the motorized seat belt module which was under the passenger seat. They wanted more for a new one than the car was worth. Probably could have gotten a used, but my G/F wante me to get a new car. In it's 176,000 miles, I was the only one who worked on it after the 1000 mi oil changehe. The real reason I sold it was I wanted her riding behind an air bag.

#8 ·
The Monroe's came in a few days ago. They're the correct part # but are about 1/2 inch longer than the ones in the car now. Monroe said they "should work." I'll have to disconnect both of the old ones to be able to raise the deck slightly more to get them in, meaning I'll need help by someone strong enough to hold it up alone. I was hoping to only have to disconnect one at a time so my g/f could help. I'll keep you posted but don't know when. Thanks again everyone!

#10 ·
I'm going to give them a try as well, my hatch stays up unless it is cold. I have been meaning to change them out for a while now, thanks for posting the part number.

#11 ·
Hmm, I ordered some from Rockauto.com last week, but they had the part number 901382. These were the only "Monroe" hatch lifts that they had listed for the 6 5dr. Do I need to send these back or will they work?

#12 · (Edited)

Attachments

#15 ·
#20 ·
I ordered mine from CarParts.com. They arrived the next day. $16.90 each and with shipping, handling and tax it came to $45.01.
The hardest part was figuring out how to hold up the hatch. I used a push broom.

#21 ·
Cool. I get mine on Tuesday. Can't wait. I almost busted my open last week when the door fell on me! I'm still on the factory lifts after 6 1/2 years. I guess that's a decent life span for them

#22 ·
Yeah mine still worked until it got cold or until there was a little snow adding weight. It is one of those things that you put off for years then when you finally replace them it's like "I wish I would have done this a long time ago".

#24 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing the Monroe lift cylinders and, after making a 2 minute job into a 15 minute job, here is what I learned. After supporting the deck with a pole, I removed both old cylinders. It is not necessary to remove the clips. Simply place a small screwdriver under them and elevate them slightly, and the old cylinder will come off. Remove both cylinders before attempting to install the new ones because the Monroes are slightly longer than the factory parts and the deck must be further elevated for them to fit. Not a bad idea to have a second person to make sure the deck doesn't fall on you. One end of the cylinder is a screw for alignment of the end with the ball. Screw it all the way in so it does not disengage later on. Clean the old grease off of the balls. The Monroe cylinder sockets are pre lubricated. DO NOT remove the clips on the new cylinders, they snap over the balls on the car with a slight tap.

The new cylinders are certainly better than the old ones but only time will tell for sure. The increased length does not appear to be a problem after installation. Good Luck!

Incidentally, my g/f's 2010 Prius has Stabilus cylinders which are still fine. Wonder if the problem is the weight of our spoilers.

#27 ·
I replaced mine this weekend with the Monroe lifts and it hold my hatch up one bit. To be honest, when I changed them in my dad's heated garage (about 50 degrees+) the lifts worked somewhat after I pushed the hood up and held it for a few seconds. However, as soon as I went grocery shopping and came back to the car in 32 degree weather then opened up the hatch it just kept falling as usual.

Maybe mine were defective. I ordered them from Amazon. I'll try them out for a few more days, but I'm sending them back if they don't start working. I'm not please with this products at all

#28 ·
That sucks - the Monroes I ordered from Amazon work great (even below freezing.) I even had to put a padding strip on my garage door because the spoiler now hits the (open) garage door. They must have had a bad batch or something.

#33 ·
lol ok. No WD40. Will buy lithium grease.

Also, not sure if it matters, but when I installed the lift supports I heard a loud hiss, then liquid and bubbles formed on the rod once it was compressed due to me closing the hatch. It eventually went away, but like I said before the lifts didn't hold up in 32 degrees

#38 ·
i just replaced mine this week. my lifts were going strong until i got hit last year. they seem to last awhile as long as you clean out the area where the cylinders hide in the trunk :). white lithium grease is the way to go. get a spray can for like 6-7 bucks. its useful for brake jobs and other places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.