Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this has been beaten to death, but I just wanted to see if anyone had some new info. I contacted my local Mazda dealer about the '6, and asked about the sedan as well as the hatch. Each time I asked about when the hatch was released, he answered vaguely with the Sport Wagon. So he was useless. Anyone have any info on the hatch release (or lack thereof)?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hatch in US?'

I've heard quoted "summer 2003" and "2q 2003" several times. I think Mazda has heard the plaintive crying of the masses here at this forum. It's like a baby chick crying to its mommy for its regurgitated worm meal. "Eep! Why isn't the hatch here yet?!" "Eep! They should launch them all at the same time!" "Eep! When is the hatch coming?!" Maybe if we scream loud enough it really will be here at launch! Woo hoo!

Applejax, sorry your dealer was worthless. It's pretty typical. I guarantee you those of us on this board know more about the 6 than 99.99% of all the dealers and their minions. Sad but true. Unfortunately they don't learn much more even after the car is launched. :sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

I've heard quoted "summer 2003" and "2q 2003" several times.  I think Mazda has heard the plaintive crying of the masses here at this forum.  It's like a baby chick crying to its mommy for its regurgitated worm meal.  "Eep!  Why isn't the hatch here yet?!"  "Eep! They should launch them all at the same time!"  "Eep!  When is the hatch coming?!"  Maybe if we scream loud enough it really will be here at launch!  Woo hoo!  

Applejax, sorry your dealer was worthless.  It's pretty typical.  I guarantee you those of us on this board know more about the 6 than 99.99% of all the dealers and their minions.  Sad but true.  Unfortunately they don't learn much more even after the car is launched. :sarc[/b]
I bet the dealer didn't even know what a hatch is, that's why he avoided getting into a discussion about it. If he answered the question "when" there would soon be another question, and another...showing that he really knew nothing about the car at all...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by kenoka

I think Mazda has heard the plaintive crying of the masses here at this forum.  It's like a baby chick crying to its mommy for its regurgitated worm meal.  [/b]
So...

Mazda...eep eep...I am buying a car in the fall/winter eep eep and I want the eep HATCH

eep
eep
eep

·
Registered
305 Posts

That's the problem... I have a baby on the way in September and I really should replace my Miata with a four-seater. But the hatch is the only version of the Mazda6 that appeals to me. If Mazda would get the hatch out here in the fall, they'd have a guarantee sale. But if I have to hang on to the Miata through another winter to get one, I dunno if I'll wait. Might end up going for a WRX or something.

I think Mazda perceived the US market as being averse to hatchbacks, given poor sales in recent years of hatchbacks like the Saab 9-3. But I think the reason hatches haven't sold well lately was simply the cars they were attached to. The 9-3 was a great car, but a very old design. The last batch of GM hatchbacks were horrible, ugly cars. Etc.

Take a car as good looking as the 6 and add the utility of a hatch and you have a real winner.
:luxhello:

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by DennyA

That's the problem... I have a baby on the way in September and I really should replace my Miata with a four-seater. But the hatch is the only version of the Mazda6 that appeals to me. If Mazda would get the hatch out here in the fall, they'd have a guarantee sale. But if I have to hang on to the Miata through another winter to get one, I dunno if I'll wait. Might end up going for a WRX or something.

I think Mazda perceived the US market as being averse to hatchbacks, given poor sales in recent years of hatchbacks like the Saab 9-3. But I think the reason hatches haven't sold well lately was simply the cars they were attached to. The 9-3 was a great car, but a very old design. The last batch of GM hatchbacks were horrible, ugly cars. Etc.  

Take a car as good looking as the 6 and add the utility of a hatch and you have a real winner.
:luxhello:[/b]
I know what you mean. We await our first kid in early november. We ordered a hatch (sorry, but I'm not in US...) and will get it in october. Hatches are great, because you get the looks of a sedan (and better!) combined with the versatility (almost) of a wagon.

Now, to those who have not understood this: you can never anticipate all things you're gonna need your car for in the next few years. Go for a versatile one!

/Steve

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Denny and Steve - CONGRATS!! We are almost upon the first birthday of our daughter. Hence the need to move up to a bigger car. I liked the Protege5 because of the hatch, but it's not much bigger than what we have now, and that's pushing it.

Word of advice on the WRX - Go bigger. In a year, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I'm waiting for the hatch as well.
I've always bought sports cars, & the thought of buying a sedan repulses me, even if it's a good-looking sedan like the 6.
Even though the hatch has foor doors, it looks alot sportier, like a foor-door sports car. Plus, I love wipers on the rear glass. Comes in handy in the winter.

Hear me Mazda - I Only want the hatch, the sooner the better.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Denny and Steve - CONGRATS!!  We are almost upon the first birthday of our daughter.   Hence the need to move up to a bigger car.  I liked the Protege5 because of the hatch, but it's not much bigger than what we have now, and that's pushing it.  

Word of advice on the WRX - Go bigger.  In a year, you'll be glad you did.  [/b]
Thanx, and Happy Birthday to your little one, then. Fun, isn't it?:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts