Mazda 6 Forums banner

Has your 6 had to stop itself yet?

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Nosajm9bys 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any '14 6 owners have needed to use this feature yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I stop is the city smart braking system that stops your car for you at low speeds if it detects that an accident is eminent.

I eloop is the regenerative braking that uses a capacitor to store what would otherwise be wasted brake energy to power electronics and accessories on the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
"The i-Stop system, Mazda’s first start stop system, detects which piston is in the best position to restart quickest, which is the one in the combustion stroke phase, where air and fuel are in the cylinder, ready to be ignited. The mixture in this cylinder is ignited by the spark plug, forcing that piston down, resulting in a near instantaneous engine start time of 0.35 seconds."

Start-stop system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: daztd
#10 ·
The mixture in this cylinder is ignited by the spark plug, forcing that piston down, resulting in a near instantaneous engine start time of 0.35 seconds.
As fast as an eye can blink. When I did my test drive I didn't notice it working. Great job Mazda engineers.

#17 ·
iStop wasn't working in my car when I got it. A Mazda dealer found that the battery had lost 15% of its charge, oh.... and my dealer and this one kept on telling me that there are various instances when it would not work. It had never worked in the 3 weeks I had it, and my previous car had it and I noticed it stop working when the battery was getting week, I had to change the battery.

Anyways, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, they tested the battery, they noticed it had lost 30% at that point. They changed the battery, and all good now, as good as gold.

#18 ·
iStop wasn't working in my car when I got it. A Mazda dealer found that the battery had lost 15% of its charge, oh.... and my dealer and this one kept on telling me that there are various instances when it would not work. It had never worked in the 3 weeks I had it, and my previous car had it and I noticed it stop working when the battery was getting week, I had to change the battery.

Anyways, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, they tested the battery, they noticed it had lost 30% at that point. They changed the battery, and all good now, as good as gold.
At first, I was using i-Stop. Then I decided to turn it off after a several months of using it. I discovered that it will turn off the engine even if you run the car for an hour or so. That is bad for the turbocharger because no oil will be circulating to cool it. It is recommended that after driving for a long time, you should idle the engine for a minute to let the oil circulate a little longer so that it will cool the T/C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.