Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, I did a search but could not find anything. If you find the link, let me know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bah! Phantom Grip. Biggest POS ever. Count down until your MTX grenades.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i've been through Datson, Honda, Nissan and Toyota forums and though there are a few issues.....it seems everyone is happy with it. general idea is those that put it on love it, when those upgraded to real lsd, it was even better.

unless there's lots of stuff i'm missing, it's far from a POS

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on it before installing it in our shop car. Every post by someone who has actually installed and used it was positive. Those who have used both the PG and a true LSD do concede that the true LSD is better, of course, but they also state that the PG is great for what it costs.

I did see some posts here and there, similar to the one by todras, but none of these people had ever installed or used the unit. They simply spouted off random crap in a forum with nothing to back it up.

We haven't experienced any problems with it, even after taking the car to the track twice. There is also one other customer who purchased it from us and has not had any problems. Considering that a true LSD is not available for our vehicles, it's a great alternative and provides a well-needed benefit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
you have any information to back up that statement?
[/b]
1. It is a set of clips you install in the STOCK differential to pretend it has an LSD.

2. It does NOT strengthen the diff, which is what you need. In fact that POS allows MORE torque to be put through ONE stock spider gear, therefore increasing the chance that you'll break the diff.

3. All the cost of an LSD with NONE of the benefits!

4. Ask any real MTX builder what he thinks of it. I'm sure you'll get an ear full.

I know 6 owners don't have an LSD option but stock is better than a PG. Search the net!!!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1815970

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=458452

"Each time his diff blew due to the Phantom Slip, the metal pieces ripped through his tranny (because the magnet that is supposed to catch them had gotten full) and ruined pretty much everything, including the case because a piece got lodged between the ring gear and the case."

I can go on and on. Don't beleive me I could care less. Just get one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Wish Shoforum wasn't down. I could give you an ass load of info.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
...All the cost of an LSD with NONE of the benefits!...

...but stock is better than a PG...[/b]
These are awful strong statements from someone who has never used the product.

Based upon my experience, this is absolutely not true. Having taken the car to the track both before and after having installed the Phantom Grip, I can honestly state that there is a great improvement when powering out of corners.

I'm not saying that no one has ever had a problem with the product. But so far, neither myself or any of my customers have reported a problem with the unit installed in a Mazda 6.

·
Registered
117 Posts
These are awful strong statements from someone who has never used the product.

[/b]
Do I need to use a product to prove it's not good?! No. Millions of people believe in God and the only thing you have to go on is the bible.

How many people here have one? For how many miles? I'm not going to argue with you. If you have it and like it good luck to you. ;)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Do I need to use a product to prove it's not good?! No. Millions of people believe in God and the only thing you have to go on is the bible.

How many people here have one? For how many miles? I'm not going to argue with you. If you have it and like it good luck to you. ;)
[/b]
stop being an asshole.

·
Registered
117 Posts
stop being an asshole.
[/b]

Care to explain that comment? Apparently you lack any kind of knowledge on the subject otherwise you wouldn't resort to name calling. 16 year olds need not apply to this clam discussion.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
don't know about asshole, but a bit rude. there are people who blow up their motors from boost controllers, intakes, manifolds.....nothing works all the time. there will always be pieces/units that have issues. just like there are people that take thier 6 back to the dealer 10 times while they have it and i never needed to in 3 years. doesn't mean the car is bad, there was a bad unit....or 50.

in my quick search through google looking into to it, for every bad (proved by owner) comment, there were 2 pages of good ones. NO ONE said it was as good as a real lsd....and they shouldn't. but how can someone figure that it has all the cost and none of the benefits? these are 1/2 of what the 2.3 lsd cost, and do offer some benefit, as stated by everyone who installs em.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
[/b]
i was one of the customers who bought this unit. I have also been very happy with the product. The improvment is truly noticable and have encountered absolutely no issues at all. I'm going on 15k miles with the unit installed and couldn't be happier with it. It does what its supposed to do...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i was one of the customers who bought this unit. I have also been very happy with the product. The improvment is truly noticable and have encountered absolutely no issues at all. I'm going on 15k miles with the unit installed and couldn't be happier with it. It does what its supposed to do...
[/b]
:huh: You put on 15k miles since this summer? Didn't you get it on mid summer?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The Phantom Grip's effectiveness is linked directly to the quality of the stock differential.

Todras' example of the SHO (I previously owned one so I have read all about this subject on SHOforum) is a good one. The car had a notoriously weak diff to begin with, add in the phantom grip, and it's guaranteed to grenade. But, people with SHOs would blow stock differentials without the Phantom Grip. Same thing with the SVT Contour (from what I remember) But both of those cars also had a quaife LSD available, an absolutely amazing alternative.

I know lots of auto-crossers who use PG "LSDs", and have had zero problems with them.

Also, I haven't heard of a single stock differential blowing on a 6.

In reality, the only thing that will prove or disprove the Phantom Grip's merit as an LSD in the Mazda6 is time. Either transmissions with them will start blowing up, or they won't.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What is the install like on these units...full tx removal? Is it like rebuilding a differential where all the lashes and teeth depth must be check (and recheck, and rechecked)?? :)

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
It's about a 9 hour job to install one unless you have a shop and I would not recomend doing it unless you have alot of expierience doing trans work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts