Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I know in the owners manual it states not to tow anything with the Speed6. However, it says the same thing for a Subaru WRX and my brother in law tows a snowmobile with it all the time. I'm curious if anyone has towed anything with their Speed6 and what they towed, approx. weight, and at what distance. My husband is thinking of adding a trailer hitch to my Speed6 or if he buys a Speed3 so he can haul his snowmobile around. It would be a single place trailer about 200lbs. with a snowmobile. Total weight would be under 700lbs. Since the WRX pulls the same without any problems I would think these cars would be fine.

Any advice?

Michelle

·
Registered
134 Posts
First off I know in the owners manual it states not to tow anything with the Speed6. However, it says the same thing for a Subaru WRX and my brother in law tows a snowmobile with it all the time. I'm curious if anyone has towed anything with their Speed6 and what they towed, approx. weight, and at what distance. My husband is thinking of adding a trailer hitch to my Speed6 or if he buys a Speed3 so he can haul his snowmobile around. It would be a single place trailer about 200lbs. with a snowmobile. Total weight would be under 700lbs. Since the WRX pulls the same without any problems I would think these cars would be fine.

Any advice?

Michelle
[/b]

Believe it or not I saw I 6s towing a small u-haul trailer once. In fact U-Haul even makes a trailer hitch for the 6s. I imagine if it can, then the speed, which has more power, bigger brakes and a beefier suspension would be able to. However, just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. You are definitely going to be putting a lot more strain on various components of the vehicle. Heck people have snapped axles and blown clutches without towing anything. And if a dealer sees a tow hitch on that car when you bring it in for something that could break related to towing, you might not get it covered under warranty. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hitch is easy enough to put on that if the car goes in for repairs or if something breaks due to towing I can just remove the hitch. There are a few companies that I've found that sell hitches for the 6 and the 3.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Where are you going to mount the hitch? Have you looked under the rear of the car?
[/b]
Yeah its going to take some fabrication work. I wouldnt do it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its going to take some fabrication work. I wouldnt do it.
[/b]
Wouldn't the mounting locations be the same as a regular Mazda6? Or is there a ton of bracing under the car?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If Mazda said that you should not tow with the vehicle, I would listen to what the manual says. If something broke when towing, it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Does the manual for the 6s/6i also say you cannot tow?

I know my Focus allows towing up to 800lbs and it certainly has a whole lot LESS power. I wonder if the reason towing is now allowed has something to do with the AWD system.

-Mike

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year and model is your Focus? I have a 2003 ZX3 that I'm going to sell if I buy the Speed3. If I don't get the Speed3 maybe I can just add a hitch the the focus. I would think the Speed3 wouldn't have a problem towing anything but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What year and model is your Focus? I have a 2003 ZX3 that I'm going to sell if I buy the Speed3. If I don't get the Speed3 maybe I can just add a hitch the the focus. I would think the Speed3 wouldn't have a problem towing anything but I could be wrong.
[/b]
2000 ZX3. Best car I've ever owned!

·
Registered
127 Posts
you do realize that if you tow, you are going to have to cut into the difuser. Do you really want to do that? and that 700lbs will put alot of strain on the rear end. Dont forget it has clutches in it, and seeing the weight will make them wear ALOT more because it is pulling extra load. Just my opinion

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If Mazda said that you should not tow with the vehicle, I would listen to what the manual says. If something broke when towing, it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Does the manual for the 6s/6i also say you cannot tow?

I know my Focus allows towing up to 800lbs and it certainly has a whole lot LESS power. I wonder if the reason towing is now allowed has something to do with the AWD system.

-Mike
[/b]
Mazda is very hypocritical....

For the US Mazda6... they say no towing....
For the UK Mazda6... they sat 2000 LBS....
SAME CAR....

·
Registered
297 Posts

Any advice?

Michelle
[/b]
I had a WRX and it was rated for towing (2000lbs braked trailer, 1000lbs if no brakes)

There have been numerous threads about towing with the MS6, I suggest you search and read those.

Mazda is very hypocritical....

For the US Mazda6... they say no towing....
For the UK Mazda6... they sat 2000 LBS....
SAME CAR....
[/b]
Yes but the the MS6, they say no towing for all MS6s in all countries, including UK and Australia.

It might be that under load, the rear wheels engage, and if engaged for prolonged periods, the rear differential might overheat.

The hitch is easy enough to put on that if the car goes in for repairs or if something breaks due to towing I can just remove the hitch. There are a few companies that I've found that sell hitches for the 6 and the 3.
[/b]
-There is no hitch for the MS6
-The regular 6's hitch won't work. As others said, look under the car. AWD implies a read differential
-Even if you remove the hitch, how are you going to explain the splice and the connectors for the trailer lights. You'll have to remove those as well, but you won't be able to hide the splice in the wiring. If they suspect, they can easily check.
-On the other hand, you could leave the hitch and say it was for bikes

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

-Mike
[/b]
I wouldnt listen to everything mazda says...the will most likely suggest running the car with it's stock parts, we all know there are better wasy than that

2000 ZX3. Best car I've ever owned!
[/b]
:sarc: no comment

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Wanna tow...get a heavy utility vechicle....end of story

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone talks about voiding my warranty yet everyone here modifies their car. A manufacturer cannot void a warranty because you added an aftermarket part UNLESS they can absolutely prove that part caused a malfunction in another area. I wouldn't be towing with this car anyways. My husband would put a hitch on the MS3 if he gets it. I had a Tribute that he used to tow a trailer all the time but I sold it to buy the Speed. He's just looking for a way to tow his snowmobile when he goes away. He may rent a truck to haul it around but we'll see.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most of the trucks have much lower tow ratings for manual transmissions. With this 6 spd transmission and haldex AWD, I think that if you broke the transmission or driveline the dealer would not warranty it. Also, the clutch being on/off might give you some trouble when you attach a 700lb trailer. Although, if your back seats and trunk are empty, I don't see any issues with moving the weight backwards more. It would be like putting 200lbs (tongue weight) in the trunk and making the car 700lbs heavier.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We decided to just trade the RX8 in for a Tribute instead of a Speed3 or another Speed6. Then we'll just buy a 2 place closed snowmobile trailer and call it a day. Thanks for those that were actually helpful and no thanks to all the ignorant asses on here. This site use to be great and helpful but now there are a select few thaat have to ruin this great forum.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.