Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting to know if anyone has replaced their blinker flasher when installing LEDS?
I'm not even sure where the flasher is, i'm thinking it is inside by the fuse box, but was wondering what kind you used and where you got it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
+1

hmm this is what i was wondering too.. our flasher is located behind the speedometer IIRC...

bump for the question!!

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
autolumination.com has the resistor kits.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
well IIRC, the load resistor will get very hot during use, and you have to buy at least 2 if you are going to change your turn signal LEDs front and back, and you have to think about the safest mounting location... but if you have the flasher, you just have to replace your stock flasher to the new flasher that wont make the LEDs blink so fast.... so i would prefer the flasher myself...

I found this on directed's website, dont know if this would work or not because im not sure what your trying to do.
Light Flasher Assmbley
[/b]
lol, although it's kinda similar, but this is what we're talking abt

http://superbrightleds.com/flashers.htm

and picking the right one for our car, is the question.

ELECTRONIC LED FLASHERS

We now offer 2-Pin and 3-Pin (1/4 inch spade lug type) LED compatible Flasher Units in this category
You should definitely use one of these instead of Load Resistors if we have one to fit your vehicle
They operate at the correct flash rate with LED or standard filament bulbs
10~15 Volts DC - Flash Rate: 80 per minute

Note that some of these flashers operate silently, they do not make the familiar clicking sound when operating. One solution is to connect a common automotive relay to the output along with your LED bulbs
Also note that these flashers do not replace all flasher units. Before you order, please see the pin outs of our flashers in the table below and compare with the one you are replacing. Click the part numbers for complete spec sheets. You can usually find your flasher pin out printed right on your flasher. Failure to check this and installation in an incompatible vehicle can blow your fuse, destroy the flasher and void the flasher warranty
[/b]

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I have already gone this route and ordered in a stock flasher to try and match it up with the chart on superbrightleds website and they do not have one availible yet.They do not have one on the market in the US.there may be some overseas but i haven't had time to look for them yet.

·
Registered
487 Posts
stupid question, think the answer is yes.

Anyway, I don't want/care for LED bulbs. However, flasher click does bug me at times, esp at a long light and it's just clicky clicking away. So, if we found a flasher that worked and didn't click I could just pop it in?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not been able to find one that will replace ours, thats the reason for the question.

I'm looking to replace my rear brakes, turns and reverse with LED PCB Boards. I don't want to use resistors because of the heat.

cbob,
I'm glad you don't care about LEDS, but you would like to find a quieter one , electronic flasher units don't make noise.
So I guess not a stupid question, just a stupid response!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have already gone this route and ordered in a stock flasher to try and match it up with the chart on superbrightleds website and they do not have one availible yet.They do not have one on the market in the US.there may be some overseas but i haven't had time to look for them yet.
[/b]
Yo dj, can you take a picture of the flasher unit for us? so we know what to look for? Thanks man! :)

I have not been able to find one that will replace ours, thats the reason for the question.

I'm looking to replace my rear brakes, turns and reverse with LED PCB Boards. I don't want to use resistors because of the heat.

cbob,
I'm glad you don't care about LEDS, but you would like to find a quieter one , electronic flasher units don't make noise.
So I guess not a stupid question, just a stupid response!
[/b]
you dont need flasher for rear brakes, and reverse... just for the turn signal light... yepp.. i dont want to install load eq. as well, as it produces heat... too much heat... well it's easy to solve by getting a heat sink and all, but the space it takes inside the engine bay, i'd rather have a small flasher unit which is not visible....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yo dj, can you take a picture of the flasher unit for us? so we know what to look for? Thanks man! :)
you dont need flasher for rear brakes, and reverse... just for the turn signal light... yepp.. i dont want to install load eq. as well, as it produces heat... too much heat... well it's easy to solve by getting a heat sink and all, but the space it takes inside the engine bay, i'd rather have a small flasher unit which is not visible....
[/b]

Yes I know you don't need resistors for the brakes or reverse, but someone was asking what I wanted to do. I have someone looking at Mazda for the pin lay out (type). I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
i just saw the post.I don't have a flasher on the shelf anymore and it's a PITA to get it out of the car.If i get another one in,i will get a pic up asap.It does look close to the toyota design.I have a friend trying to locate a flasher overseas for us.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just saw the post.I don't have a flasher on the shelf anymore and it's a PITA to get it out of the car.If i get another one in,i will get a pic up asap.It does look close to the toyota design.I have a friend trying to locate a flasher overseas for us.[/b]

This is what I was told by Mazda "We finally had to hunt down a shop manual. The relay is built into the BCM unit"

The unit is....
GP9B-67-560 UNIT,CONT 0 MSOP 498.96 YOUR PRICE $342.06
The flasher relay is in that unit.

Please lets us know what you find out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
That's bullshit.I work for mazda as well and if i recall correctly the flasher retails for around $50.I will post a part number tomorrow with a price.I have ordered one of these in before for my car to get a pin configuration to get one from superbrightleds.com they didn't have one availible with the correct configuration.If i saw it I could tell you which one would work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's bullshit.I work for mazda as well and if i recall correctly the flasher retails for around $50.I will post a part number tomorrow with a price.I have ordered one of these in before for my car to get a pin configuration to get one from superbrightleds.com they didn't have one availible with the correct configuration.If i saw it I could tell you which one would work.[/b]

I'm just telling you what they told me, it was a Mazda dealer, even gave me the part number for the BCM with flasher. Could you check to see what this part number is for?

To be honest I have not tried to replace it yet because I do not know what kind to get.

Do you think it matters between the Mazda6 and the MazdaSpeed6?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
i will check into it,when i get the mazda computer free.it may be different on the speed 6.i may stand corrected.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
the dealer gave you the correct part #.just another thing to the list of the speed 6 being different than the 6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts