Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last hour looking through the MS6 workshop manual (I have all 3 books), and to my amazement, there is no section covering rebuilding the PTO. I only found a small section covering the fluid change and removal/installation of the case. Thats it, nothing on the inner workings.

I'm wondering of Mazda intended the PTO to be a throwaway unit. So, has anyone looked inside one of these, rebuilt or gotten one rebuilt? Are the soft parts available (i.e., seals and gaskets)?

Thanks.
-a

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Go down to the dealership and have them pull it up on their monitor, they should be able to get the parts but it may take time unless you know what you need. As they drop out of warranty, the tranny shops will get educated.

If you've had a manual transmission apart and have reassembled a rear diff/front diff successfully, you stand a chance. The PTO isn't that complex but it has 2 clutch packs; a pilot clutch to sense slip and main clutch to couple the front to the rear which uses a electromagnet to apply pressure to them. You need to be able to get the test specs for the electromagnetic coil used to actuate the clutch pack. Beyond that, its frictions plates, steel plates, and stack clearances to set it up, worn out bearings and actuator levers.

You need all the test specs for the mechanical parts as well as the electrical parts, torque specs and all that. Not to mention a DMM. Its unclear if any special tools are required. Someone who repairs automatic transmissions would likely stand a good chance of being successful. This is based on tech articles and drawings. Keep us posted please.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
heh- beat me to it Chris!

That's the thread that has the cost effective replacement, and tears them down completely. Not that tough at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that thread is very useful.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish....my T-case is good, but leaks. While I can't be sure that the casting is porous enough to seep gear oil, I was thinking that if I'm removing the t-case to reseal the mating surfaces, then I might as well coat the casting just in case. You know...do it once, do it right. So, I had my eye on using Glyptal (eastwood has it) to seal the casting from the inside. I havent found any suitable product that can be used on the exterior of the case designed to seal porousity (too bad POR15 doesnt really work on aluminum).

Anyway, thats where I'm at. Its pissing me off, and I'm not sure how to tackle it.

Any reason you guys can think of why the FSM skips the teardown/rebuild of the t-case?

Thanks again for the links.
-a

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Same reason it's skips the trans & rear diff....

And, it shouldn't be seeping fluid through the aluminum, it's just not porous that way

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Same reason it's skips the trans & rear diff....

And, it shouldn't be seeping fluid through the aluminum, it's just not porous that way
What is that reason? Only reason I can think of...they never intended those parts to be serviced. Plus, I'm almost sure it has a section about rear diff teardown and setup. Not sure about the tranny.

How do yo know that...there is a lot of forum speculation that it seeps through. There are also plenty of other complaints out on the net about porous castings of all sorts of parts by other manufacturers. Doesent seem outside the realm of possibility. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong (because I don't know for sure), Im just asking why you are so certain. Where do you think its seeping out from?

Thanks,
-a

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
THere's a separate svc man for the trans that I haven't gotton my hands on yet. It might include the PTO. And you're correct, the primary svc man does include the rear diff breakdown.

Casing seepage? I'm not buying it. I haven't seen those discussions, but there's lots that I've yet to come across so nothing authoritative there. Got a link of two? Love to read up...

Lots of seals leaking, and lots of fluid spread from known leak points. But I've never seen actual aluminum used for structural case components that was so cheap in quality that it was literally unable to retain fluid. Again, I'm not even close to all knowing, but that's spanning damn near 40 years of wrenching...

Glyptal was not intended to prevent seepage from inner to outer wall of a case. It's designed to smooth inner walls. By it's design I suppose it would end up doing what you're thinking of, but it's intended use isn't to shore up crappy raw materials but to treat or smooth over rough porous casting jobs and provide a smooth surface for seals to ride against.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THere's a separate svc man for the trans that I haven't gotton my hands on yet. It might include the PTO.
What!?!? There is an FSM I don't have!!! That will need to get remedied asap.

Casing seepage? I'm not buying it....Got a link of two? Love to read up...
I just google'd "porous aluminum" and saw a good number of threads. Import and domestic guys talking about crank cases and transfer cases, etc... Vintage motocycle guys doing the same.

Lots of seals leaking, and lots of fluid spread from known leak points. But I've never seen actual aluminum used for structural case components that was so cheap in quality that it was literally unable to retain fluid. Again, I'm not even close to all knowing, but that's spanning damn near 40 years of wrenching...
I'm creeping on 20 yrs of wrenching...so Ill defer. But, just thinking it through, it does make more sense that it would be the seals and the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
goooooogle as is typed: "mazdaserviceinfo" 9999–95–A26M-07

This is also pretty handy: http://www.ugnius.lt/mazda/Files/Mazdaspeed 6 Technical Training.pdf

Now, finding the info on the item I mistakenly posted about ^^ - much more difficult. The Electronic Control Coupling ahead of the rear diff. Good Luck!

2nd the vote that the leaks and seepage are from other points of exit and not likely though the case. But if you really want to seal it; go to jegs.com there are some products for inside the block to seal cast iron, not sure how well it would adhere to aluminum. It may raise the temps also so I would be hesitant.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
my hero
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
mazdaserviceinfo and the PN yields lots of GOOD Stuff. With the OEM manuals that haven't been molested, most have a "RELATED MATERIALS" index. Use those PNs and the word above and walla!

PS - I also found the rear diff and electronic control module another day. Found it on the drive just now, but no PN just a header.
2006 TRANSMISSION, All Wheel Drive (AWD) - Mazda6
ELECTRONIC AWD CONTROL SYSTEM LOCATION INDEX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts