Mazda 6 Forums banner

Has Anyone Manged to Replace a Wing Mirror Gear?

DIY: 
6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Defcon 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been trying today to replace my passenger side's wing mirror motor gear. I've got to the point where I can access the motor, and I've managed to take out the broken bits of the old wheel. Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck now as I can't work out a way to remove the silver swirly bit that I've got to put the new wheel onto. It wiggles around a bit but not enough for me to pull it out.

Hood Automotive tire Tire Tread Automotive lighting

Automotive design Gadget Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Finger

Automotive tire Material property Engineering Auto part Font

I also can't see a logical next step in terms of dismantling the motor to get better access. This leads me back to my post title really. Has anyone here successfully managed to swap out an old gear for a new one? If so, would you mind giving me a few pointers as to what to do next?

I appreciate it's a bit of a long shot but thought it was worth asking. Thanks for your time (y).

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting! I replaced mine but the whole assembly. Right now, it doesn't swing fully unless I "help" it. The technician said to me last time that usually, it's the gear assembly that is problematic.

I haven't had the chance to dismantle this thing and I'm interested in how will you replace the motor or gear.

Keep us posted. And sorry, my reply is no help at all.

#3 ·
Hi,

I've been trying today to replace my passenger side's wing mirror motor gear. I've got to the point where I can access the motor, and I've managed to take out the broken bits of the old wheel. Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck now as I can't work out a way to remove the silver swirly bit that I've got to put the new wheel onto. It wiggles around a bit but not enough for me to pull it out.

View attachment 246381

I also can't see a logical next step in terms of dismantling the motor to get better access. This leads me back to my post title really. Has anyone here successfully managed to swap out an old gear for a new one? If so, would you mind giving me a few pointers as to what to do next?

I appreciate it's a bit of a long shot but thought it was worth asking. Thanks for your time (y).
U
The swirly thing is the "worm" gear. It looks like you have to squeeze the big silver press-on-retainer-ring to get the fingers to let go of the shaft so you can pull that off. Once that's off (and those are usually on-time use things) the rest should come out easy enough. Do you even have replacement gears for it?

#4 ·
U
The swirly thing is the "worm" gear. It looks like you have to squeeze the big silver press-on-retainer-ring to get the fingers to let go of the shaft so you can pull that off. Once that's off (and those are usually on-time use things) the rest should come out easy enough. Do you even have replacement gears for it?
Thanks for the reply. I never would have thought of squeezing the silver press-on-retainer-ring in a million years, so thank you. I'll give it a whirl in the morning and let you know how I get on.

I've got a replacement metal gear to put on it. The plastic one that was on it originally was in bits when I opened it up, so I'm hoping it will fix the issue.

#10 ·
Just going through the process of fixing mine.. cog on mine was in one piece but was freely spinning on the metal shaft... that retainer ring with spring underneath was a major pain to get off.. managed to do it without second person by pressing down on it with a clamp and slipping thin plastic strips behind each of the 8 metal gripping teeth... new gears coming next week... hopefully i can put this all back together... if not.. new mirror is about £150.00 +VAT direct from Mazda.