Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just received the Audiolink IPOD kit for my 2006 6i and when I was putting the 10mm bolt behind the glovebox in, it fell from my hand and dropped somewhere. I heard it hit a piece of metal and that was the end of that. I think I know what it hit(there is a metal box directly beneath the place where the bolt goes in. I was able to access it from moving the carpet out of the way).

Will this impact my driving in any way? I do have a manual transmission and dont want to be driving one day and it not shift in a gear because that bolt got stuck on something. Also I am noticing it isnt rattling and the deck does not appear to be loose. Should I just leave it as it is?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Use a retriever magnet to see if you can find it. They are at AutoZone and are under a dollar. It's a very powerful magnet on the end of a steel telescopic rod (think of a boombox antenna with a magnet on one end).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i lost one. the dealer couldn't find the part number for the exact one, but ordered another bolt that fit perfectly. i think it was about $2; it came is a snazzy mazda labeled plastic bag.

if you drive around without it, you'll hear the entire center dash moving around. very loud & annoying.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went to autozone tonight and did find a magnetic retriever(5.99) and tried to find it but with no luck. I removed the glove compartment and stuck that thing everywhere I could imagine. I even removed the shift gate portion of the plastic bezel. Unfortunately, my stupid retriever stuck to a piece of metal and was through one of the wiring harnesses for the hvac controls. GRRR. I did manage to wiggle it out with some force however the antenna broke. Hopefully everything is fine.

As far as the console, I do not hear it rattling at all. Is it something that will happen with time?? The two screws that attach it in the front are in(under the vent knobs). Hopefully that screw is somewhere where it cannot move...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I dropped mine awhile ago, and scratched the damn faceplate on the shifter trying to find it. I did find it, but it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't. After that, I pitched that lame ass bolt for good. As far as I can tell it does nothing but make it a PITA to remove the stock head unit. To hell with that damn bolt :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
did the same thing and just left it whever it fell...haven't had a problem since...and it's been about 16 months...personally I think Mazda put it there to make it diff. to pull the radio out and that way they can make a lot of $$$ selling replacement circuit boards

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
initally, i was going to leave it out, then i hit some bumps & the center dash made an annoying sound. the $2 for a new bolt was money well spent for me. look, return the $5.99 retreiver, buy the $2 bolt and blow the rest on a latte.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dropped one of the screws in my center console. Just to the left of the shifter in under the carpet. I thought I had it and BAM gone...

I don't think it'll interfere with anything...But I may go and pick up one of those screw magnets to be safe!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did the same thing and just left it whever it fell...haven't had a problem since...and it's been about 16 months...personally I think Mazda put it there to make it diff. to pull the radio out and that way they can make a lot of $$$ selling replacement circuit boards
[/b]
I definitely would return that retriever but unfortunately, the stupid wiring harness under the air controls bent it and it was either get it out in one piece and damage my harness or bend it around and wiggle it around the harness.

To mzbuckeye, I fully agree. To hell with that PITA bolt LOL.. I am not planning on putting that 10mm bolt on. At least until I hit a bump and it starts pissing me off. Hopefully one day it wont interfere with my shifting or fall somewhere where I cannot retrieve it.

I am enjoying the audiolink so much. Has a few quirks but overall it is a great product(I have mine in the top armrest compartment)

·
Registered
195 Posts
$2? Wow. You know it's a 10mm bolt. Stroll into the local Home Depot, or Lowes, and get one. shouldn't be more than $0.50. Don't make a special trip for it, but if you happen to be going... why not get one?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Man screw that bolt! I don't even know why Mazda put it there in the first place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took that bolt out ages ago, good six months ago.

Been driving around without since, with no problems at all, makes getting the HU out so much easier.

I'll eventually put it back once I've done with my project.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I took it out the first time and have left it out since.

If you're serious about getting it out... you should probably remove the entire centre console. I don't see it being possible going in from the side thru the glovebox. And with out that bolt, removing the console only takes about 5 mins tops. :D

There's 2 extra screws on the manual HVAC controls, so maybe that helps to hold the console in place better than with the auto controls (without that bolt).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes, I lost that stupid little screw too. I forget but I think I retrieved it somehow but never put it back in. To compensate, I just tightened the console screws a little more. Haven't had any problems with rattling or anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I tried to install my Ipod AudioLink replacement today and while trying to assemble it back together, my nervous self dropped the two philips screws that go under the HVAC controls that seem to hold the radio in place. Anyone have any idea where they would be. I used my magnetic retriever and tried searching through the sides and all over the place but could not find it. The only other place I could think of is under the shifter but I dont want to mess with that. Will this cause any potential damage. I cannot hear the rattle no matter how hard I turn.

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone lives in Orlando and would like to take a look at it, PM me.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
those are easy to replace. i wouldn't even waste your time. now, without screws or the bolt you're bound for rattle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I tried to install my Ipod AudioLink replacement today and while trying to assemble it back together, my nervous self dropped the two philips screws that go under the HVAC controls that seem to hold the radio in place. Anyone have any idea where they would be. I used my magnetic retriever and tried searching through the sides and all over the place but could not find it. The only other place I could think of is under the shifter but I dont want to mess with that. Will this cause any potential damage. I cannot hear the rattle no matter how hard I turn.

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone lives in Orlando and would like to take a look at it, PM me.
[/b]
I could definitely pick up a couple more at home depot or something. Is there any way that it could get stuck in the shifter or anything? I just took it for an hour drive up hills, down hills and hard turns and I cannot hear anything. Hopefully it will remain like that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i wouldn't worry about them interferring with the operation of the car. they probably are floating around under the carpet. your best bet for find new screw is to pull another out & take it with you to a home improvement or autoparts store.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I dropped one of the screws in my center console. Just to the left of the shifter in under the carpet. I thought I had it and BAM gone...

I don't think it'll interfere with anything...But I may go and pick up one of those screw magnets to be safe![/b]
crap... I too just dropped a LED light into the shifter console, no idea where it went. Kinda bugs me not to be able to find it.

Next week I'll be removing the radio stack to change the colors there ... any suggestions as to the precautions can I take to ensure that the infamous 10mm 'hidden' screw doesn't disappear into the abyss?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts