Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
MSDS FTW....dont get cheap headers...trust me!!! and in the end if u do get cheap headers or non brand name headers and they crack on u dont come crying to me...dont be cheap and spend $800 for MSDS headers. Thank you

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of other questions. How hard is it to do the install yourself, without a lift or anything?

Has anyone just broken up the precats and put them back on? Obviously, labor would be similar to putting on headers but is it hard to break up the precats? Not so much looking for power gain, performance - just dont want the precats to screw up the engine if/when they go.

I am in GA in require emissions inspections. Will lack of precats (either because they are broken up or replaced with headers prevent the car from passing inspection? I assume the main cats will remain in place with headers - correct?

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Couple of other questions. How hard is it to do the install yourself, without a lift or anything?

Has anyone just broken up the precats and put them back on? Obviously, labor would be similar to putting on headers but is it hard to break up the precats? Not so much looking for power gain, performance - just dont want the precats to screw up the engine if/when they go.

I am in GA in require emissions inspections. Will lack of precats (either because they are broken up or replaced with headers prevent the car from passing inspection? I assume the main cats will remain in place with headers - correct?

Thoughts? Thanks.
what part of GA? what year, mileage, current mods, etc.?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you search a little you will find all your questions answered. And dont get those, as asall667 said MSDS FTW. I have them and there great. Not a part you want to cheap out on..

·
Registered
74 Posts
DO NOT buy these china replica headers, ive spoken to MSDS inc before about them and they have stolen plans of OBX and others to refab headers, they crack easy and have exhaust leask problems on the motor, meaning that they have to be refabricated on the flanges to seal properly, BUY MSDS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with everyone else. Cheaping out on headers is a bad idea... especially when you consider how much of an absolute pain in the @$$ they are to put in.

It took me 16 hours when using jack stands to put in MSDS headers. On a side note they don't fit perfectly and needed to be bent a bit after the install. Not sure if this was because of shipping damage or not. They sound great when paired with a Magnaflow catback. They are a little bit raspy above 4k rpms though ><.

I don't know for sure but the down stream O2 sensors are after the precats not the main cats on the stock set up. I would almost guarantee you will throw a CEL and not pass emissions testing because of this if you knock the precats out. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
With me & my brother it took about 8 hours installing the MSDS headers on my '05. Of course that includes stopping for lunch, farting around, and wasting a TON o time before realizing that dropping the rear of the engine cradle makes installing the cross-over pipe TONS easier.

Fit was perfect with zero issues. I didn't like the looks of the gaskets they included so I picked-up some layered metal Fel-Pro beforehand. (from RockAuto.com)

To anyone considering this, do yourself a HUGE favor and have/pick-up a couple of things first:
Stubby, flex-head 3/8 ratchet
MEDIUM-depth 13mm socket (short will bottom on bolt, long will hit radiator)
About 24-30" of 3/8 extension for the rear header flange bolts. Amazing how easily you can work the rear nuts from fully under the car.

All 3 will make life a million times easier when working-on the header flange nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts