Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an annoying knocking sound at low speeds or going over bumps, which I confirmed were the sway bar bushings by temporarily disconnecting the endlinks and taking it for a drive. No endlinks, no more knocking. I already ordered the bushings (they were like $25 for both), but the more I read into it, it seems like people had to drop the entire subframe just to replace these cheap little pieces of rubber.

It's not effecting my ride performance or cabin noise, but having now replaced almost my entire front suspension, it's extremely annoying (to say the least) to have that knocking from what otherwise feels and sounds like a brand new car. I don't really have the expertise to drop the subframe by myself, so I'd rather avoid that if at all possible.

I was thinking about putting the front end on jack stands, taking off the wheels, and reaching in with a ratchet and a universal joint to get those bushing brackets off, but I'm curious to see if anybody else has tried the same thing.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've got an annoying knocking sound at low speeds or going over bumps, which I confirmed were the sway bar bushings by temporarily disconnecting the endlinks and taking it for a drive. No endlinks, no more knocking. I already ordered the bushings (they were like $25 for both), but the more I read into it, it seems like people had to drop the entire subframe just to replace these cheap little pieces of rubber.

It's not effecting my ride performance or cabin noise, but having now replaced almost my entire front suspension, it's extremely annoying (to say the least) to have that knocking from what otherwise feels and sounds like a brand new car. I don't really have the expertise to drop the subframe by myself, so I'd rather avoid that if at all possible.

I was thinking about putting the front end on jack stands, taking off the wheels, and reaching in with a ratchet and a universal joint to get those bushing brackets off, but I'm curious to see if anybody else has tried the same thing.
It may be possible with infinite patience and a ratcheting box end wrench. The problem is the aft nut on the left side bushing mount. It's tucked under the steering mechanism. It's impossible to get a socket on it.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
81 Posts

Were you able to get the bushing replaced? I need to replace my bushings and am curious how difficult it will be. I have looked all over for a how to or video and I am not able to find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you able to get the bushing replaced? I need to replace my bushings and am curious how difficult it will be. I have looked all over for a how to or video and I am not able to find anything.
Man, I wish. I got some angled ratcheting wrenches that I can easily put around the nut, but the angle and lack of torque made it way too hard to break the bolt. I ended up just spraying the bushing with some AT-205 rubber treatment, and it ended up stopping the annoying knocking sound I had. I know it's not a long term fix, but it's enough for me for now.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
81 Posts
Man, I wish. I got some angled ratcheting wrenches that I can easily put around the nut, but the angle and lack of torque made it way too hard to break the bolt. I ended up just spraying the bushing with some AT-205 rubber treatment, and it ended up stopping the annoying knocking sound I had. I know it's not a long term fix, but it's enough for me for now.
Damn, I thought it would be too difficult to get to without lowering the subframe. For the AT-205, did you just put it in a spray bottle and load up the bushing? I may have to give that a try because it will be a lot cheaper then having my buddy replace the bushing lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.